Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one in NW WA

Day 4 post surgery and I think the belly pain is a little better but the gas pain is definately on the move. Didn't know it could be so noisy. I think i had a little post surgery depression today. I was upset that my family can't seem to put dishes in the dish washer or cleanup anything. I was angry that I was still in pain and I can't figure out what this feeling in my throat is. it feels like something is stuck in my vocal cords or around that region. Some people make this sound a lot easier then it is. Maybe my age has something to do with it but this is not a walk in the park! After all of this there is no way I am ever going back to being fat!

Hang in there Wenjea. I haven't had the surgery yet but from what everyone says it definitely gets easier. I'm praying for you. Just keep thinking about how great you will feel once things have settled down and you're losing all the weight YIPPEE!!

I haven't even had the surgery yet and I think that I had some blues today myself. I started worrying over how I was going to take care of my family for a while and hoping that my husband will be able to handle the kids and me. YIKES. I have a 3 and a 4.5 year old. They're really great kids (of course I probably biased) but sometimes I think that they overwhelm my husband a little bit.

Enough of that, I'm just going to keep thinking positive.

A few of you were talking about hernias. Do you know if they find and repair one, does that add to the cost?? Maybe it just depends on your dr? Just curious since I'm trying to account for every penny.:)

I'm trying out my ticker - hopefully it works. Thanks for the help with that.:clap2:

OK - I'm trying with the ticker again. I forgot to save the signature line. Let's see if this works now.

[quote name=

Enough of that, I'm just going to keep thinking positive.

A few of you were talking about hernias. Do you know if they find and repair one, does that add to the cost?? Maybe it just depends on your dr? Just curious since I'm trying to account for every penny.:)

I'm trying out my ticker - hopefully it works. Thanks for the help with that.:clap2:[/quote]

Hello -

My Dr. told me that if he repairs my hernia which i am going to ask him to do, that insurance does pick up certain charges after the surgery if extra care is needed. He told me it was not very big so he wasn;t sure if he was going to fix it, I just think he books himself too tightly. I want it done if the are gonne open me up wide.

Talk to your doctor about it to get the specifics so that you are prepared beforehand.

Good luck

wnjea,

Keep us updated. Don't be shy to call if you're in too much pain.

ljuht

Why did you choose dr. srikanth?

Evilah

Hi Evilah -

Kind of a good a good question. Dr Srikanth has been in the bariatric profession for over 10 years, he has been published and has done over 1800 lap band and GPS surgeries. My understanding is that he and Dr. Oh used to work together and has recently spun off on his own. Have you heard anything about him I should be worried about?

I like his credentials and I like his honesty.***Dr. Srikanth is a a Board Certified Bariatric Surgeon (has been for 3 years) and is a designated ASBS Center of Excellence surgeon. He has performed over 1,600 Bariatric surgical procedures and over 800 laparoscopic Bariatric surgical procedures***.

I searched the web and only found good things about him.

It is hard to pick the right doctor, I think things are going to go very well.

Does that help answer your questions??

Regards -

I hope I can post a bit more mind-easing experience. I am four days out and have nixed the idea of working all day tomorrow. I am going to aim for some time in the afternoon and then see how it goes- so I don't think I will make it to the meeting at St. Joes. :( Maybe there is one at St Francis soon? It is ok sitting up for a while, but the longest has been about 3 hours on the couch watching CSI. Not good to watch while eating liquified foods....ugh. Anyway, I have done good today without my liquid vicodan. I just took some now so I can doze off to bed. I have taken 2 Aleve twice today. Wenjea, maybe you should try alternating tylenol and motrin evey 3 hours. You can mix them and they do work on different things. Plain tylenol does squat for me. I have just been real careful to keep up on the liquid meds and lots of Water. I have just today tried light cran-rasberry juice other than water. Otherwise, it has helped being thirsty. Also the sewwt & low candies are good to suck on.

I only had port pain when I reached too far for the phone. I did that 3 times and have learned. I think that is why I am way more sore on the right side. I seem to be really normal feeling everywhere but the roll between my boobs and belly button. There it feels like one of those excercise bands is being streched across me. It is sort of a full feeling, but if I lift my boobs off of the roll......at least I know some can relate.......it eases up. I am not sure what kind of bra I am going to wear......maybe they will go free?:guess

I have been handling food pretty easy. I have had progresso chix noodle and veggie Soups that I whipped up with my Braun hand blender. I added a touch of the "better than bullion beef" to the veggie and it was good. Also the Wofgang Puck Italian wedding Soup was good, but a bit garlic-y. Applesauce with cinnamon, yogurt (thick & creamy) , some of those del monte chillers that go in the freezer. They are like sorbet. I was having a growling tummy yesterday and decided I was needing more protien. I do not do shakes. I just can't. So I ate another yogurt and was filled up. It is suprising. I just bought some of the little size take a long containers and I that has pretty much been enough. Amazing. I have not thought about soda so that is good. I think it is just a matter of deciding to make a choice.

I want to recommend STAYING IN BED and only getting up to walk. Keep a heating pad near, and a tv tray with a pitcher of water and supplies. I seem to be coughing up phlegm so hold on to your tummy. I know how it is, I have a 3 and 5 1/2 year old that run amock but I have insisted Daddy handle them. Send them out of the house. Anything so you can rest. Dishes and laundry will always be there for later. I am not too keen on how Daddy does the laundry - sorting, what a comcept, but if it is done, it is done. I did not take the time to rest after my 2 c-sections and am realizing it would have been more beneficial.

Be careful trying to roll to your side. It is more comfy to lay on the left (no port) but go SLOW. I am getting better at lifting my butt to move rather than trying to slide. And I have propped a pillow against my tummy when in my side. It helps to hug. :) Other than being bummed out about not returning to work - well being able to go to the meeting really, I have been doing good. I was so convinced that the 3rd day would be horrible, I was pelasantly suprised that it wasn't. I think the worst was the night of day 2 (Fri) when I felt like someone had reached inside and swirled their hand around. today everything is feeling more "secure".

Another tip.....DO NOT try to bend over and pick things up. You feel like you will pitch forward. Make sure and aks for help. Kids are good for something, even though they demand payment in popsicles!

PS- Wenjea....I can't believe I am sharing this......when the urge comes, if you hold one "cheek" apart or to the side, the air comes out without pushing. Much less strain. :D:) I kept the heating pad on my right shoulder pretty much of the day on Thurs and Fri. It heled inthe referred pain and gas pain. I haven't had too much of the rumbling, but it is easier to toot when on the potty.

I think the feeling in your throat is like mine. Feels like you have to fake burp? ONe advantage to demanding alone time is you just let it go. My Aunt once said, "you have to feel free to fart in WA".......too bad it happens so much in my family!

I keep forgetting to post this little family tree sort of thing:

From what I have heard over the past years, Dr.'s Fox (Sr. & Jr.) have a practice in Tacoma. In the 90's Dr. Oh was with Dr. Fox. (my friend's friend was the insurance gal at Dr. Fox then) Then Dr. Oh and Dr. Srikanth had a practice in Federal Way. Dr. Srikanth has broken off on his own and now Dr. Hiria is with Dr. Oh.

Dr. Montgomery and Dr. Watkins were at Evergreen and decided to start their own practice. Dr. Michaelson joned them recently after being at Evergreen and also a professor that taught the procedure and other laproscopic methods.

Maybe someone else has info to add to the soap opera?

dawneb...

I concure with ljuht115. I am having a hiatal hernia reapired also, Dr Oh says any additional cost for the repair will be billed to my insurance and should be covered even though my band is not covered.

Thanks for the history of the local Docs. Seems they are all well trained and have long sucessful track records. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, just choose one you're comfortable with and go with it.

If it's not raining tomorrow then I am going to attempt to walk around the track once if someone will drive me. Is the no driving rule because of the drugs or because of the pain and strain on the abdominal muscles? My conclusion is thatTylenol doesn't do squat with the pain! anybody have this feeling of something lodged in your throat? how long before it goes away?

sorry about the complaining and all the questions . . . just looking for guidance.

i have the feeling of something lodged...! But I don't have a lap band! I just had too many fluids. Trying to drink my hunger away.... So I'm not sure what you're feeling, but I'm sure someone at Dr. Oh's office could help you with an answer tomorrow! Call them!

Sometimes I call them even if I have just a little question, and they answer it for me.

Evilah

Wendy, That funny feeling in your throat is probably gas pushing on your diaphragm. It's right above your liver and it gets pushed around some, as well. Did you ever watch the video of a lap band being done? They push and move everything around....and FILL you with that darn gas so they can see. I could definitely see how we would feel wierd all over. I can tell you that most of it went away at about 2 weeks. Getting better seemed really slow at the time, but now I can barely remember the pain or wierdness at all. Try some gas-X or Pepsid Complete. It helps. Maybe a half dose of the narcotic pain med with your tylenol? Hang in there, baby.

Right now I'm finding I'm just plain afraid of food.....tired of getting things stuck so being extra careful. Soups and chili for me, baby. I can eat a few cracker/chip things, too. Just staying away from anything that might be "sticky".

Dave (DH) and I went on a nice walk tonite. One BIG hill...and I made it without too much huffing and puffing.....could barely do that particular hill before. It was invigorating.

Made new curtains and pillows for my kitchen. I also signed up to maybe do the Gig Harbor Farmers Market this summer with my doggie stuff and some other things I make. We'll see if they accept me. I DO love to sew.

Is anyone wanting to come to my jewelry party on Wed. nite? 7:00 pm? I'll have nice liquids and stuff....LOL

Isn't Sue's date this week? YIPPEE for SUE!!!!

Merrillee

Wenjea: I don't feel like your'e complaining and I am sure no one else does either! I feel bad you are having trouble here and there. Did you go walk today? I hope not. I went to work from 10:30 to 1:45 and had to stop at Target on the way home. I walked around holding my tummy while pushing the cart REAL SLOW. It was a bit much for me. I think all the sitting made gas accumulate because I was really bloated. So I have spent the afternoon with a heating pad and laying flat. Things are moving again in that department. I bought some milk of magnesia pills. Mistake. They are huge, but they didn't have any mint liquid. I broke one in half and then chewed it. Yuk. But I was afraid it would get lodged. That has been my fear. I don't want to have a PB episode. I don't know what to expect so I fear it.

I have found a great Soup to blend up! It is the Progresso chicken noodle with the twirly egg noodles. It blended up easily and is the best thing I have had all week. I have also made some stove top stuffing and thinned it out with broth. That is really good and you get to at least feel like chewing the tiny bits. I found that the veggie soup I blended had a lot of the skin from the kidney Beans left so I kind of had to watch that. I was really wanting some crackers today........but a dollop of cool whip on the SF pudding was almost as good!

I thougth I would make it to the support group but feel I should rest some more. I have another day at work planned for tomorrow so I can continue to pay for this surgery!

Good Luck to the next round of banders this week!

Mer - good girl for walking!! up hill even . . . I'm impressed. Sues surgery is Thursday. I am feeling pretty lightheaded and weak, wish I could start back on my Protein now. I can't believe I have to wait till Friday. This can't be all that healthy. I am so wanting to eat something . . . anything at all. But I totally understand the fear thing. I made some chicken noodle and strained the noodles out and bagged for the freezer. It has taken me all afternoon to eat it and there is still some left. I think I will try some Jello and see how that goes.

Pinenut - slowdown, you might be pushing things to fast. A friend told me today that if you do to much to soon you risk the build up of scar tissue on the inside of your incisions. I thought I could go to support group too but was out of gas at the end of the day. Sue said she was going to go so hopefully she will report back to all of us tonight.