Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one in NW WA

ShellMar (you are the "gal"):

SO I went to the appointments today and I actually ended up getting to see the Doctor too! It was a long and informative morning and I am ready to go. I am scheduled for the 17th! I actually could have gone on the 10th but my brother and SIL are coming. I don't want to be laid up then!

Good news is that I don't have to have any pre-op procedures done since I am so "healthy and young". Tell that to my knees! So since I am self pay, I have to have my money in on the 11th and then they will call with a more specific time forthe 17th.

I met with Linda for my Nurse and Psych. My Mom came with me, but had to step out for the psych part. (Be sure to have their questionaire filled out before you check in. Brownie points from the admin staff! ) It was easy going and we talked about expectations and nutritional info and foods. I got another folder of information to read over and another website for the Center. We talked from about 9:15 to 11:15 and then I got a little break before Dr. Michaleson. I have to say they have some nice bathrooms. lots of them too!

We spoke withthe Dr. for about 15 or so minutes and I didn't have a lot of questions since the seminar is sofull of info. HE is REALLY nice. Then I went to schedule myappointment with Melissa and then I asked to see the surgery area. She was more than happy to show me around. It looks really nice too. Let me know if you have more questions!

Pine nut - do you mind if I ask what you are paying for surgery at NWWLS? I also am a self pay and am scheduled on the 17th at St. Francis. I had thougt about NWWLS but it was farther away for me. I hear lots fo nice things about NWWLS and I'm wondering if I made the right choice. I know some of the docs that I am with used to be with some of the docs at NWWLS. Not sure what happened.

I think Dr. Oh is wxtra careful with his patients. What is your pre-op and post-op like? It's a total of six weeks before I get even mushies. Two weeks pre-op and 4 weeks post-op. Everyone is allowed to eat soooo different on here it's a tad confusing.

I know what you mean about the pre-op and post op diets... I haven't had any food since April 17th. And now that my surgery is over, 8 days post op, my hunger has returned. The Protein shakes and broth aren't cutting it anymore. I just wish I could have SOMETHING more! Even yogurt or scrambled eggs. I almost wonder if I should have gone somewhere else so it would have been easier food wise. My Doctor has worked with Dr Oh too. I think they have a lot of experience in this field and hopefully this will give us the best outcome. They said they want me to do 4 weeks of Clear liquids afterwards w/the 3 Protein drinks so all that scar tissue forming around our pouch will heal and cause better restriction. So I'm trusting them!! I have 3 more weeks of liquids before moving to full liquids for two weeks. At least then I can have pureed Soup. Just the veggies from a can of Soup sound wonderful right now!

Hang in there, it's only for this period! And then all you have to worry about is the Clear Liquids before a fill and then (for me anyways) it's 48 hours of warm liquids afterwards. After going through this that is a piece of cake! That is what I'm trying to remember :)

Hi all,

Had a super time with hubby up in Mount Vernon.....He was working all day so I actually spent most of my time antiquing and shopping at Royal Doulton at the Outlet mall close to Marysville.....I was a little naughty there.....LOL

We went out to dinner last nite at Applebees. I barfed on some toast with spread.....that was special...made it to the bathroom, though. Then I was able to eat a little rice and 5 (count them! 5) jumbo shrimp on a stick. Little bites and lots of chewing. It was heaven. I LOVE shrimp. I actually ate real food all day. Had about 1/2 a scrambled egg for Breakfast, then some potato for lunch at the outlet mall. I was super scared that eating real food I wouldn't lose weight, but I came home a pound less. Is that cool or what?!!! So I guess the band is "working".

REALLY SORRY I had to miss walking with you all on Friday. I will definitely be there next week. Or if anyone wants to walk the mall in the meantime, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I am usually there at least once a week to walk and check out the sales at Macy's and Lane Bryant....LOL

SUPER to see all the New people here! It's fantastic! I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Merrillee

I can tell you I felt much more at ease with my decision after attending the seminar for NWWLS and feel, for me, it is worth the additional drive. And good news..I was told they are looking for a site in Tacoma to open shortly for fills in the south end! No driving to Everett for a fill. It really isn't that far. The Payne Field exit up there by the old drive in theater you can still see off I5. It took only about 1.5 hours to drive up there in morning commuter traffic on a Friday.

My pre op includes the request to loose 10 pounds. He was agahst at the fact I was drinking regular pepsi! I think he changed it from 5 to 10 at that fact! I don't have to have any additional tests since I don't have any health concerns ie: high BP, diabetes, etc. I was offered the Medifast shakes at cost and even got to sample one. I am not a shake person. I would not be able to stomach the protien and Vitamins required by Dr. Oh.!

For afterwards, Dr. Michaleson stressed that the first 6 weeks prior to your fill are for healing. Not necessarily for weight loss. I am allowed anything liquid that could be sucked through a fat straw (don't have to use a straw though!) for the first 2 weeks and then soft foods that can be mashed with a fork for 2 weeks. No shakes, only a standard whatever multi Vitamin you can handle. I am starting on the Spider Man gummies today :Banane43: They are yummy and like gum drops! I was told that by making wise choices in the after care and eating that there is not any malabsorption, so all these shakes are not necessary. I was given lists of foods that would be good and protien rich sources and others to avoid. NWWLS also averages 2.2 lb lost per week with close montoring of weight loss. If you go 2 weeks without loosing, they want you in there to adjust. That is why they include the 13 mo of fills up front. No hesitation about additional costs for fills.

I think the $12,800 Dr. Oh charges is all inclusive for the surgery. I don't recall anything about his fills other than he said we would have to see him every month. And he didn't mention any costs for all the pre op tests and procedures he would do himself. I didn't like that aspect of the "one man/one stop shopping". If all that testing is reuired, why can't your regular Dr. do it an have it covered? Could be just me.

I paid $200 for the consult and it is applied to the surgery. The Psych consult was $250 and I used their recommended person in their office. Linda bills seprately through her own practice and it is NOT applied to surgical fees, but is required to have the surgery. That leaves me a balance of $15,800 for the NWWLS fees and then $900 to the Anesthesiologist. NO other out of pocket expenses, no hospital stay, it is outpatient and laproscopic done in their surgical suite and you are on your way back home in about 4 hours.

Please look at their site and review the powerpoint presentation and information. I would realy recommend getting all the info you need before making a decision like this. I am really looking forward to the whole process now! Cheers to the last 4 Pepsi's I have for this weekend. Then I am starting on the Lean Cuisine and aiming for 1000 calories and hopping on my Elliptical again. 12 days to loose 10 pounds! I know I can cut about 500 calories just in pop alone : )

day three of liquids done and only 42 left . . . .it is getting easier by the day. I even went to a baby shower today and was able to get through it without eating anything. I did make a Protein Shake while I was there and told them I was having some surgery so I couldn't eat. Didn't go in to it though, not the right time or place. I decided to not go to the Cinco De Maiyo party though. One party of great food a day . . . I'm just not that strong yet.

Walked 2.5 miles on the new Grandview Trail in University Place. It was tough because of the hills but I did it!!! I am going to commit to doing that once a week. The rest of the time I will do the 2 mile flat walk.

Mer - missed you at the mall. The food smells were killing me so I told Sue we need to start walking on Grandview instead. I can't take it when I'm on the six weeks of liquids.

PineNut - thanks for all your input, it's always good to get as much info as you can before any big decision. You have been helpful . . . thanks for sharing.

nbjen - what are you talking about with the clear liquids before the fills? Maybe I missed that during the seminar but what is the reason behind it and how long do you do it for before the fill?

It makes me laugh to think of Grandview. We bought the model home my senior year at Curtis in Grandview Terrace. It is now about the third or fourth house in on the left side and someone has painted it light blue with royal blue trim. Ghastly! It was so pretty and taupe/tan when we got it. I know they have made that area so nice and pretty for walking along. I may have to join you some time. Are you still doing Tacoma Mall or Supermall? I work in Tacoma M-W.

Hey PineNut what year were you at Curtis, I graduated 82! Still live in the area, infact we bought my parent's house so we live in the same house with my kids attending Curtis.

Do you still live in the area?

We are going to try to walk out doors when ever possible, grandview is a good place, but in bad weather we do a couple laps around Tacoma Mall.

We've been shooting for 11:00 Fridays, but can meet some other time if your not in town on Fridays. I work MWF, but am flexible, got to make walking a priority.

Sue

We were banded by Dr. Lopez Corvala and his team. My wife when down to TJ last week for her first fill. I will be getting my first fill soon. BTW, I'm a paraplegic and wonder if there are any other paras using the band? I hope so as it is really helping me. jratkell

hey Sue just sent me a link to a group who meets at Red Lobster for Soup night and they are meeting this Monday night at 7pm. We thought we would like to go . . . anyone else want to come? Sue can put the info up on here, I am not good enough on the computer to have a clue how to do that. Has anyone on here ever gone to one of the soup nights?

I walked Grandview last night and did the whole loop. Told Sue I was only doing that once a week since I about died! We are talking about meeting at the bathrooms in Chambers Creek Park and walking on the flat path to the other end (where there are more bathrooms) and back again. Probably around 2 miles of flat. It's a nice walk and I need to make it a regular thing so anyone else who wants to do it let me know. I'm pretty flexible on time.

Wenjea, Dr. Oh does not make you go on clear liquids before a fill, but u are on clear liquids after fill for 48 hours.

Pine Nut....

Your post sounds to the T what I have just recently gone through. I was also a self pay through NWWLS and had my preop on May 2nd. I took in two cashier's checks, one for $15,800 and one for $900. Although it never felt so good to hand over $16,000 to someone. :( My doctor is Dr. Montgomery and he wanted me to lose at least 20 lbs. before surgery coming up on Wednesday the 9th.

I have been on the liquid diet since April 13th and when I weighed at the surgery center 4 days ago I was down 22 lbs.!! Yay me. So surgery is all set to go. Hang in there, just keep telling yourself how great it will be after these first couple of hard months.

HI I'm Emily I live in lakewood near Tacoma, I've been banded for 9 days know. I've lost 13lbs, though I'm happy for that, I've been uncomfortable and cant seem to find relief. good luck