Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one in NW WA

Hi all! :wave:

I'm a bit shy and just have been lurking and reading for a while. I've got all the consultation appointments at NWWLS in Everett in early December, and I'm a bit nervous right now - I want my skinny petite stupidly strong-willed mom's support, even though I'm 32... so I'm going to talk to her tomorrow and tell her I plan to get a lap band. Yikes!

Annie

Well, amazingly enough, the talk with mom went REALLY well... once she realized I wasn't talking about gastric bypass, she was supportive and said not only should I do it, but basically that she was proud of me for taking the steps I felt I needed to overcome my weight problem! WOO HOO!

So I've got Mom and Sis on my side, but one of my best friends (who I've only been super close with about a year) would rather I spend 6 months with a nutritionist before going under the knife. She hasn't seen what I've gone through for years and years to understand how I've essentially done that before without success... and how this "tool" *plus* nutritionists will do the trick.

I had my band surgery 7-17-2006 from NWWLS - Dr Montgomery and have been very happy with the clinic and the results. Their entire staff has been great and I do not regret it for a minute. Glad your mother is now supporting you. I have been quite private over the years and was very hesitant to tell friends and family about the procedure. For me I considered it a last effort after being extremely overweight my entire adult life.

Much to my surprise family and friends have been extremely happy I had it done, including the skinny and beautiful people all us heavies seem to know. In fact the person who started pushing the idea first and my biggest supporter was one of those skinny beautiful folk. At 63 I certainly wish that the procedure had been available years ago.

The clinic uses your BMI and general health risks to determine whether or not you need to have the procedure done at their clinic or the hospital. I believe they use a BMI of 50 and over as their cut off point. Fell free to write any time for details about the clinic or procedure.

Best of luck - papaya

banded 7-17-2006

60 pounds lost

first fill 9-7-2006

2nd fill 11-15-2006

Hi all, this is somewhat off topic but I thought you guys could help!

My work is changing insurance companies and I'll have to switch primary doctors. I live in the north Kent area. I'll be self-pay for my band (hopefully will be done in the next month!) since neither my current or the future insurance company cover it, but I want to get a primary care doctor that understands the band... Is there anyone in the Renton/Kent area that can recommend a primary doctor? One by/near Valley Medical would be perfect.

Wow Irish Girl -- you are doing *awesome*. 72 lbs lost since the end of April! You're going to reach goal in under a year at this rate -- way to go!

Hi everyone. My name is Tammy and I live in Puyallup. I am just in the beginning stages of learning about the Lapband. I called my insurance (Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield) yesturday and was told that with our contract (hubbies work contract with them) that WLS is not covered.

I have not started looking for a Dr. yet, have just began reading on some of the websites is as far as I have gone. I do believe that I have my mom's support for this which is a huge biggie for me.

I am happy that a friend of mine from another site guided me to you all!!! Can't wait to get to know you all!!!!

Hi Tammy,

You can find a ton of information on this board. I remember when I first looked into WLS, I spent hours on end here reading everything that I could. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Welcome Tammy! Do also join the "SmartBandsters" Yahoo group; that's a great source of info with a lot of knowledgeable people.

Hope you find the info you are after! Everyone's financial situation is different. I would have gone with self-pay had my insurance not covered it; luckily they did. But I am making good progress toward my goal and feel so much better, it would have been worth the money! Not sure that some of the bandsters who have had to have their bands removed due to erosion feel that way though. Be sure to ask on the complications forum.

Best wishes!

Renee

p.s. I used NWWLS (thelapband.com)

Hi all...and happy holidays!

My BMI was over 60 and NWWLS did my lap band in their clinic. I had the surgery in the early morning and was back home before noon. I think the decision for doing the surgery in the clinic or the hospital is pretty individual based on each person's health and their potential risks.

I'm doing pretty well...have lost over 90 pounds. Only problem is, I've suddenly developed a sweet tooth! I don't overeat food...my meals are small and mostly meat and veggies but at night I'm snacking on candy. I think part of it is the holidays...that's the time I tend to buy candy because "tis' the season"...right??? it's causing my weight loss to stall. Anyone else encountering this problem?

pam

Hello all!

I'm from Stanwood and currently pounding my head against the wall, trying to get financing for lap banding. I'm at like 41 or 42 BMI.

I'm undecided where I would have the surgery. I was all set to find a recommended doctor in Mexico (preferably surgery in a hospital) but have been reading around that there are some places, like in ID and CO, that do cost around $10k. Guess I still got a bit of the Mexico surgery jitters. It comes and goes, depending on if someone is swearing by it or swearing there are chickens walking on the OP floors.

I haven't applied for any financing yet. I'm pretty sure I will be denied and need to figure out who is the easiest to get an approval from, so that I don't wreck my credit further by filling out apps left and right. I brought up the idea about co-signing to my grandmother yesterday and that seems like a possibility. Don't know if co-signing is possible for something like this... and if little old ladies are exactly what they'd want, lol. I'm so clueless on this and need to Google me up some financing Q&As.

So anyhow, that's my story. Anybody want to co-sign for me, lol? No? :)

did you go through insurance? If so, and they denied, you may want to try the obesity lawyers. They helped me. I didn't even have to pay the lawyer's fees. Inamed paid for them.

Good luck.

Cheers!

Thanks Kickiegirl... I did check my insurance and it specifically says that it's not covered. Unless there's a way they can fight the no-lapband/weight loss surgery part in my coverage.

Tammy,

You may want to try your insurance company again. When I called my insurance company they said the same thing. However, what I found out was that they do not cover it unless it is considered a medical necessity. I am banded now, insurance paid for 90%. I did have to get the obesity lawyers to help me fight the insurance company, but Inamed (manufacturer of Lapband) paid for the lawyers fees.

Good Luck!

Let me know if I can help!

-Michelle