Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ack, Did I Just Eat Way Too Much?

I am only five days off surgery, and I just had part of a smoothie, with Protein in it--it was frozen, like a slushy consistency. I think I must have had 4-5oz of it (it was in a small mug that was partway/mostly full). Now my stomach is full but not uncomfortable.

But i'm worried that I ate to much and/or am not getting restriction....was anyone else able to eat more than they felt like they should in the first few days?

Note: this is the first thing I have really eaten except for a couple spoonfulls of yougurt or Soup, and I was hungry, so I know it is good to eat when hungry but I am scared I had too much.

Does it get better with full foods? Or have I really messed up?

As a brand new sleever I'm not sure I am qualified to answer but in my limited 8 day experience, I did this around day 5. I was not mindful in my eating and I think I took a couple bites too many of my broth and I felt soooo full. It happened almost suddenly- like I woke up and realized I ate too much. I had to lay down and let it pass.

You said you were full but not uncomfortable- so that is good I think. I read on here that a lot of people go through this while they are learning their new tummies. I have started drinking my shakes out of a 3oz shot glass so I dont accidently overstuff myself again. I think I also read that you can drink more liquids than solid food. Hopefully someone with more experience can give us an expert answer.

I know with me if it was really cold instead of room temp. I felt that way once. Try it at room temp and see if that helps. I find I burp more after liquids if not room temp for some reason!

I am just worried I ate too much and will not be able to lose weight. I know I'm being irrational...but...crap.

Don't worry, you aren't eating enough to gain weight! Also my doctor told me when I started on regualr food that I would lose faster. Seems to be working!

You will be fine. The one thing with smoothies is that if it's from Jamba juice or other smoothie places, there is alot of sugar from the fruit they put in. Also, high in calories. Unless you were very careful and made a great choice. Otherwise, you are learning about your new sleeve and most likely didn't do any harm. Congrats! ;)

You really need to be careful early as to how much you put in your tummy. It is swollen and healing. Do you really want to be putting pressure on that brand new staple line?

When you are drinking liquids, your pyloric valve opens up and drains into your intestines. Remember, the stomach is the mechanical part of digestion. It breaks down food for the intestines to absorb. This is why we are on liquids to start because we don't want the healing stomach to be working breaking down foods. So, in absence of the stomach having to work (liquids) the shake is able to flow through the pyloric valve and into the intestines.

But then ... you don't feel full ... so you keep drinking ... and it drains ... and you don't feel full, so you drink more ... AAHHHH!!! (the body says)

When you get to 'regular' foods, especially lean meats, you will feel the restriction after eating a couple bites.

This is one of the reasons why they suggest not drinking with meals, so you can feel the restriction.

Good luck ... drink just a few ounces at a time ... relax ... drink some more ...

I am only five days off surgery, and I just had part of a smoothie, with Protein in it--it was frozen, like a slushy consistency. I think I must have had 4-5oz of it (it was in a small mug that was partway/mostly full). Now my stomach is full but not uncomfortable.

But i'm worried that I ate to much and/or am not getting restriction....was anyone else able to eat more than they felt like they should in the first few days?

Note: this is the first thing I have really eaten except for a couple spoonfulls of yougurt or Soup, and I was hungry, so I know it is good to eat when hungry but I am scared I had too much.

Does it get better with full foods? Or have I really messed up?

Hi there, sometimes there will be a newly sleeved patient that will experience the "non" full feelings. I did, it hurt my esophagus with every sip so I was never able to get 5oz Protein shake in, unless you gave me 3 hours to do it. ;) What you probably would benefit doing is measuring your portions. Your stomach has been sliced right along with your nerve endings. You're numbness will keep you from feeling any sensation of being done or close.

Right now, its probably better to measure to about 3-4 oz max. Then perhaps an hour or two later go for more. Don't worry though, you are just as normal as those who do have to take it slow by force.

All the best to ya, and WELCOME TO THE LOSERS BENCH!!

I was lucky and able to handle good quantities of liquids several days after surgery.

It concerned me that I was going to stretch out my brand new stomach but as identified above, liquids can go right through. My cousin told me to not worry about consuming liquids as long as I observe the rules about not eating during or for 45 minutes after food intake.

But remember that drinking sugary or high calorie drinks will also go right through and no matter how big or small your stomach is, those calories will go right to your belly.

When you get to 'regular' foods, especially lean meats, you will feel the restriction after eating a couple bites.

Tell me about it. When i've eaten just one bite too much, the feeling is not the best. I find that it passes if I get up and walk around. Knowing when to stop is important to learn. For me, when it start picking at my food then it is time to stop. Right now 2 oz is the max.

I'm going into my 3rd year and still get yuck feelings if i eat 1 bite too many. For example, I know i can finish 3/4 of a taco, but like a dummy, I like to :"finish" it, man do I ever get the slimes after that and that "I've eatten a whole turkey dinner" feeling to boot. . .then i have to wander around for about 15-20 minutes til it passes. . . ugh why do we do that to ourselves???? silly people! :boxing_smiley:

But remember that drinking sugary or high calorie drinks will also go right through and no matter how big or small your stomach is, those calories will go right to your belly.

Since i cannot drink soda and even the sugar in dilluted juice is worisome to me, my new best friend is Lipton instant unsweeted decaffinated iced tea. I'm using the powder because i drink this constantly. Plain Water doesn't do it for me and crystal light is too sweet. it's only 6:22 am and I've had 16 oz of the stuff. My poor body is thirsty!