Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

All addictions have one thing in common- they numb you out to what is happening in the moment. They offer instead, an intense sensory experience which either absorbs all of your attention or distorts reality. You may think you’re having a real moment, but you are not, because your addictive activity, such as food, drinking, or drugs, is actually disconnecting you from your true emotions and, therefore, making it difficult for you to connect with others around you.broken_heart.gif

My food addictions always came along when I am happy or miserable and sometimes bored to death. Then when we get to the time in our lives and we feel like we can never lose the weight because we are so fat, we think what the heck let’s just eat anything and any amount we want, We know honestly that is NOT the answer.chatterbox.gif

“People who are hungry for more real moments often us addiction to get a temporary hit of happiness” confused2.gif

But because the feeling of happiness that that we get from our food addiction is only temporary and then it becomes a vicious circle of always eating the wrong things and overeating. So the happiness is only temporary, you can’t feel good without the bad behavior of abusing food. This is how you get hooked into you addictive behavior of using food for comfort. cry_smile.gif

Addictions are so socially acceptable in America that, often people don’t even realize that they have one, especially when it comes to eating food. Food is NOT something that we can simply say I am never going to eat again. If it is an alcohol addiction then you can say—I am never going to drink alcohol again. Food is something that we are going to have to deal with for the rest of our lives.batlashes.gif

For me I had to make a lifestyle change. It is like going back to school. I had to start reading labels, planning my meal and using a journal and keep track of everything I put in my body. If I didn’t have “bad” foods in my home that would tempt me to eat them—then they would not be a problem. I learned to make healthy choice including snack and what I craved. If it was something sweet like a desert I learned how to make some healthy ones. It take a lot of effort and a immense amount of time, to plan my meals, shop for my food, and read labels and keep track of what I was eating. I know it takes a lot of time to keep a journal, but it will really be helpful to you. I use this site: http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/ . I know there are other sites that people use. Do what works for you when it comes to keeping track of your food. You also need to exercise.dance.gif

Having a food addiction is NOT an easy thing to deal with. Start asking yourself when you want something to eat—do I just WANT this food or do I NEED to eat this food. Most of the time it is you just “want” to eat the food. Find something else to do—like posting on this board and talking with other about their addiction.bighug.gif

I wish you nothing but success, but I want you to know that this is something that we all will struggle with. I am here to help in any way I can.biggrin2.gif

Hugs,

Suzanne

What good advice. I've used that site for 4 years now back when it was called The Daily Plate.com. I think it is the best calorie counting site ever and it even has an app for your Smartphone. I don't have an addiction to food anymore! I used to LOVE sweets and craved chocolate, Cookies, cakes, pies, etc but now I just want one bite if I see them around me. After that one bite, I'm satisfied and don't want anymore. It is so weird.

I must say, I always look forward to your posts! You are so helpful and very encouraging! For me I really had to adopt the healthy lifestyle 100%. I knew that if I had a taste of this or that it could lead to my own downfall. I think it's so important to realize that even with the sleeve, the addiction and often the tempations are still a real thing. Really, in order for the sleeve to work it's wonders, the addictions must really be addressed. Thanks again for the info!

Im so glad you posted this. It's so true and so real for me especially. I'm still on a high from my surgery and seeing the pounds melt off, but I know I will come face to face with my addiction soon enough. We have to eat our addiction everyday, like you said...but being aware of the addiction is the first step in recovery. again, thank you so much!

Beautiful post. You're right - a food addiction is tough- you can't quit "cold turkey" because you need food to live - you don't need alcohol or drugs or other things people get addicted to in order to live. You can't just remove the temptation, you have to beat it. Congrats to everyone that continues the battle against food addiction and wakes up the next day to fight it again!

This is so true! thanks for the info. ;)

What good advice. I've used that site for 4 years now back when it was called The Daily Plate.com. I think it is the best calorie counting site ever and it even has an app for your Smartphone. I don't have an addiction to food anymore! I used to LOVE sweets and craved chocolate, Cookies, cakes, pies, etc but now I just want one bite if I see them around me. After that one bite, I'm satisfied and don't want anymore. It is so weird.

Hi,

This is great news that you no longer crave these thing. I tend to be a person who grazes, so I have to have some healthy Snacks to graze on. I don't miss a lot of deserets, but like you I will have a bite or two and I am just fine. I am glad that you enjoyed my post.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I must say, I always look forward to your posts! You are so helpful and very encouraging! For me I really had to adopt the healthy lifestyle 100%. I knew that if I had a taste of this or that it could lead to my own downfall. I think it's so important to realize that even with the sleeve, the addiction and often the temptations are still a real thing. Really, in order for the sleeve to work it's wonders, the addictions must really be addressed. Thanks again for the info!

Hi,

You are so right. We are always going to be paying attention to what we eat. I am 98% true most of the time. There is that 2% when I am not. But, I have also learned that sometimes just 2 bites of it is all that I need. I have learned that instead of eating something I really don't want, it is just better for me to go ahead and have 1 or 2 bites or a very small amount of it really just satisfy my desire or need to have it.

I am happy that you enjoyed what I posted.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I'm so glad you posted this. It's so true and so real for me especially. I'm still on a high from my surgery and seeing the pounds melt off, but I know I will come face to face with my addiction soon enough. We have to eat our addiction everyday, like you said...but being aware of the addiction is the first step in recovery. again, thank you so much!

Hi,

I enjoyed reading your reply. I hear what you are saying about being on that "high"--enjoy it while you can. It just takes planning on your part and time to plan what you are going to be eating. After awhile you actually crave and want more of the good and healthy foods than the junk foods that you used to eat. Learn some new recipes and ways to convert your cureent recipes into a healthy one. I like cooking more now than I ever did before. I also read a lot more labels that I ever did in my "fat days." LOL

Hugs,

Suzanne

PS you are so beautiful, I loved your profile picture!!

Beautiful post. You're right - a food addiction is tough- you can't quit "cold turkey" because you need food to live - you don't need alcohol or drugs or other things people get addicted to in order to live. You can't just remove the temptation, you have to beat it. Congrats to everyone that continues the battle against food addiction and wakes up the next day to fight it again!

Hi,

I really enjoyed reading your reply. You get, it and understand it. There is half the battle right there. In the past I just thought I was an overeater--nice term for addicted to food. Now I call it like it really is. Food was my addiction!!! I have learned in over 3 years with my sleeve, to overcome it. It isn't easy, it is an on going control thing. I NO longer allow food to control me. I NOW control the food. It is a good feeling.

There are times when I have a Cookies and a few bites of something I am really wanting. The answers is, just a few bites always seem to satisfy my need. I no long have to eat it ALL.

Hugs,

Suzanne

This is so true! thanks for the info. :wink1:

Hi,

You are so welcome. It was my pleasure to be able to write this and express some of the things that I have been through. I know for many of us, it just seems to be a battle.

Hugs,

Suzanne