Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, Sleeve family

I am new to the forum. I am looking to get this procedure done. I am in my late 20's and have always battled with weight loss issues. I am boarder line diabetic(insulin), blood pressure, and tyroid problems. Just would like some tips on if this has worked and if the weight stays off. I walk at least three times a week, and does not consume a lot of food. I wonder my self why I am fat. I am about 5'3 and weigh 279 pounds.

Jewels, May I suggest that you try a food diary like My Fitness Pal? If you will honestly log everything you eat and drink for a few days, you may find that you are eating more than you think you're eating. If the log shows that you are not eating a ton of food, a visit to your doctor may be in order. Uncontrolled diabetes can cause weight fluctuations, or you may have a medical condition which makes it hard to lose weight. But, an honest self-assessment is in order, and that starts with logging absolutely every bite of food and every sip you take.

If there is no underlying medical condition, then it's time for a heart to heart with your doctor about either a supervised diet or weight loss surgery. You and your doctor can discuss and decide which is best for you.

If you do decide on surgery, then I can whole-heartedly say that YES this does work. I've lost 81 pounds in under 5 months. There are a ton of testimonials here from people who have had improvement in their diabetes, high blood pressure, thyroid and other medical conditions. However, NO weight loss surgery is a magic bullet. If you choose to have WLS, then you are committing yourself to eating less/right and to exercising to get the maximum benefit from the surgery. WLS is a TOOL to help, not a free ticket to weight loss. I'm sure you know that. I'm just reiterating it so that you don't have unrealistic expectations.

Good luck, whatever your decision may be!! :)

Hi, Jewels! I just had my surgery, and I too sometimes wondered why I was fat in the years as I was gaining weight (from 127 up to 234 from the time I was fifteen to 26, with a lot of fluctuations.) One thing to think about might be WHEN you eat what you eat. I found that even when I ate healthy, I was eating once a day and therefore consuming way too much at a time and really hurting my body.

I think you should definitely talk to your doctor about a supervised diet plan, but WLS might be an option, too, especially since you have other health problems to think about (I am lucky not to have that.)

Take care, and do lots of research! There are lots of wonderful options.

@Lissa thanks! I have tried it. It puzzels the doctors, so this is my last resort. I used to feel like I just ate a lot of junk, but I have completly changed my eating habits. Earlier this month I lost like 5 pounds, but when it returned it returned double. Crazy hun? I am tired of being depressed, because I know what I am doing and what I have not doing. Thanks for all of the advice, and congratualtions on your weight loss, You look GREAT!

@Alexeleni, wow, I know that you are excited. I am presenly doing my research now, I am glad I ran across this site. I have tried the supervised diet, and actually liked it, but I continue to gain weight. I am not sure as to what else to do. This is really my last hope. Congratulations, and thanks for the information! Good Luck

Welcome jewels :)