Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chicken Recipes

I thought it might be fun to share some recipes of things we're eating. This is a really easy chicken recipe that my husband taught me. I use Pace Picante (mild), but you could use any jarred salsa you like. Keep it low fat and sodium. Or make your own salsa! Even better!

"Fiesta Chicken"

What you need:

Glass baking dish - preferably a casserole dish

chicken - any combination that will fit in the dish. We like 2 breasts, 2 legs and 2 thighs

1 bottle of Pace Picante Sauce, mild (I usually use 20-30 ounces)

Foil

Turn on the oven to 400 degrees

Place the chicken into the glass dish

Pour the Pace Picante over the chicken until it's swimming in it

Cover the dish with foil

Place in oven for 1 hour

After an hour, check that the chicken is done to your liking. Enjoy!

Sorry! Just realized I should have put this in the recipe section. If an admin want to move it over, that's fine! Ironically, I'm a teacher but apparently not good at reading directions.....

I was going to say-You must be further along than me, because I don't generally eat enough to warrant cooking just for me!

On Sundays however I have family over, and try to cook things that work for me. This past Sunday we had Taco Soup.

I cooked up about 1/2 lb 93/7 ground beef with some onion. Added 2 cans of Beans, drained. 1 can corn, drained and 1 can each Rotel and petite diced tomatoes. Then about 2-3 cups beef broth (I use beef base and water) then cook.

Some people wanted to make Taco salad, so they just strained the broth off the bean/meat and put that over shredded lettuce and topped with some cheese, crushed tortilla chips.

As for chicken, my favorite is just to do a Greek roasted chicken and veggies. I use boneless, skinless breast or tenders, cut into bite size pieces. Put into a large bowl with chunked veggies (onion, carrot, zucchini, sweet potato, fresh beets, whatever you like) then I sprinkle with a SMALL amount of olive oil (or spray with an olive oil spray) and sprinkle with Greek Seasoning and a small amount of lemon juice, some garlic. I spread the whole thing out on a sheet pan and roast at 425 for 45-60 min. I try and make enough for several meals. It reheats well and I even love it cold. If I am making it for the family I also roast chunked potatoes with it. It really couldn't be easier and uses whatever is on hand.

I can't wait to for my sleeve to tolerate chicken again! Both recipes sound yummy! Who would have thought that I would have NO problems with red meat- but chicken kills me!

We do chicken in a pan and simmer it in 1cup pace chunky and 1/2 cup black cherry preserves with few shakes of cinnamon. Its awesome. Just mix the pace...preserves and cinnamon together and pout in over the chicken and simmer till the chicken is done. The sauce will thicken as it stands. :)

Taco Soup sounds amazing. Might have to try that this week. I'm going to take a shot at the chicken with cherry preserves tonight.... Hope I don't screw it up!!

I do something similar with chicken as the first recipe. I put a whole bag of Tyson Chicken Tenderloins(or breasts) in the crock pot and 2 cans of Rotel, add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low overnight. The chicken easily shreds up with a fork it's so tender. Then I add the World Table Roasted Verde salsa(from Walmart) and some greek yogurt(athenos or Fage) and melt a little shredded cheese (colby jack) on top in microwave just before I eat it. I get full on a pretty small portion of this. I put in a container in the fridge and my family and I eat on it for days. I don't add the salsa, greek yogurt, and shredded cheese til I get ready to eat it. So we can all do whatever we want with our portion. My family will put their portion in a flour or corn tortilla. Or crunch up corn tortillas or doritos in their portion. They also sometimes have rice. My daughter likes regular salsa and not the green verde salsa. It's pretty tasty and gives me a little taste mexican food flavor.

I post this recipe everywhere but I love the Hungry Girl buffalo chicken dip. I make a half-recipe and keep it in the fridge, I eat off it for close to a week for Snacks and sometimes even take it for lunch with some low-carb crackers. YUM.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1214