Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coordinating Different Doctors And Conditions

I have been treated for prostate cancer and have had diverticuitus a number of times.

My urologist, who is lead on my prostate cancer treatment, was less than enthusiastic about my sleeve, saying it was hard on kidneys, but grudgingly gave his approval, (my sleeve doctor said that the urologist may be going on old information and that with proper Water consumption, kidneys are in no danger). My doctor who was in charge of my chemo was supportive saying that losing fat will help keep the cancer away. My family physician was enthusiastic forseeing an end to my mild diabetes and high blood pressure brought on by obesity, (the diabetes is gone and there is a marked improvement in blood pressure).

What has not been addressed at length is diverticulitus. The normal way to handle diverticulitus is to ramp up the Fiber, pretty difficult to do in the early stages of recovery. I am afraid to take Metamucil, the gold standard for fiber, because of my knowledge of how it swells up. I am on my second week of recovery on full liquids and haven't had any diverticulitus symptoms, in quite a while come to think of it, perhaps due to my reduced diet on the way to insurance approval. . I am hoping the reduced volume of my intake will in itself keep the divers away. I have been deficating but with much less volume than before.

I have lost 14 pounds in one week after my surgery and am surprised at how much energy that I have for my walking. I have gone from pre-program weight of 330 down to 286. My tentative goal is 220 but we will see if further loss is needed when I arrive there. :smile1:

Gman, it sounds like you are doing a great job of keeping everything straight already!! I have several doctors as well and all of them except my PCP were totally on board from square one for my surgery, including my neurologist and pulmonary doc!

I keep track of each doctor's current instructions on my iPhone, in the notes section. I also have a separate note for my meds and I go over it with the pharmacist every time I fill a new Rx. That's how I found out I couldn't take omeprazole (generic for Prilosec, I believe) because it interacts with coumadin negatively. If I get orders from one that conflicts with what another doc has told me, then I ask both docs to consult and make up their minds. If it's my PCP giving me conflicting instructions, I pretty much ignore him. ;) He's been my PCP since I was 12, so his ideas are a little out of date. LOL

Good luck with your journey! It sounds like you're rocking your sleeve!!