Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduled....but Lingering Question Is 'am I Messing With God's Work'.

Thoughts from minds more clear-thinking than mine appreciated. :-)

I'm kind of a superstitious person, and also fairly religious and have a great closeness with God the creator of our lovely bodies. So now that my surgery is scheduled (20 days out....yikes!) I'm not sure if I'm just looking for an excuse to chicken out or if I'm truly uncomfortable with the idea that I'd change the mechanics of a miraculous thing God created (the human body). I mean if every person is unique and special in their own way, will God turn his favor away from me if I mess with His unique and special work? Ugh!! I know not everyone believes in God, but I do, and I'm struggling with how to justify the surgery with my WWJD mindset.

I truly and deeply believe with all my heart that GOD wants us to be healthy, and he wants us to treat our bodies like temples. We are the guardian of our physical selves, and that is why HE made gluttony a sin. There is a negative consequence to eating far more than we need to live and thrive. We store all the un needed calories as fat and our waistlines become severely out of shape. We have to carry our burden with us every single day, no where to hide!!

I'll tell you what, I had the same thoughts too pre op. I wondered why I couldn't do this on my own. I prayed and prayed for answers, and guess what... the sleeve was my answer. Well, finally it began to feel more like insanity, and I know GOD does not want me to live like that. HE wants his children to be happy AND healthy.

When I went into Dr. Aceves section of the hospital, he had hanging in his reception area a painting of a surgeon... but his hands were being guided by GOD. It was at that very second I knew this was the right thing to do. I took that moment and Praised HIM and Thanked HIM for making this possible for me!! Since then I knew I'd be spreading this little joy with everyone I possibly could. Not only that, once I realized that this was the road to take, so many doors opened for me to make it possible!! I can never doubt that this was HIS will.

Now, it's your turn. Take this moment and make it yours. Don't turn away from what is going to be a true miracle for you!!

All the best to you, and know that we all will be here anytime - we all need to vent sometimes. This isn't easy!! It's always nice to know we aren't the only one, ya know? :wink1:

LilMiss.......man did I need to hear all that!

Now, it's your turn. Take this moment and make it yours. Don't turn away from what is going to be a true miracle for you!!

I'll have to keep telling myself that every day from now 'til 2/13 and just get my soon-2-b-lil-butt IN TO THE surgery center!!!!!!!!!!!! Fear is an awful thing!! Like someone else said previously, "JUST DO IT!" Okay, okay, I can do this!! just please tell me I will be the same person after, for my children's sake!

LilMiss.......man did I need to hear all that!

I'll have to keep telling myself that every day from now 'til 2/13 and just get my soon-2-b-lil-butt IN TO THE surgery center!!!!!!!!!!!! Fear is an awful thing!! Like someone else said previously, "JUST DO IT!" Okay, okay, I can do this!! just please tell me I will be the same person after, for my children's sake!

Yes!! You will still be the same person... except a smaller, happier and yes... even more fun version of you. :) The moment they are able to wrap their lil arms around you, you will know.

If I could have asked for Jesus directly to heal me (like he did so many in the times talked about in the New Testament) I would have asked for him to heal me from being fat - to heal me to be a "normal weight" person. So, I did ask Jesus to heal me - be guiding the hand of my surgeon - by helping the people that were involved in my surgery in the hospital - by giving my husband patience to make it through my recovery - and for myself to have the strength and wisdom to do what was necessary to use this tool correctly and to change my life.

Jesus gave me what I prayed for.

I gotta say, before I had my surgery, I had a long, long talk with God. We came to an understanding about this whole process. I know this because I felt confident in the decision and I felt guided through it. Trust your gut - its what God gave you to remind you about what's right and wrong :)

I had to ask myself a question. "have I honored God with the way I have treated my body." by being way overweight and all the health conditions that go along with that I had to answer NO! As one of His children, when I ask for forgiveness, He wipes the slate clean. I'm wiping by body clean and starting over, committed to honoring God. Pray about your decision, listen for His reply...

Pastormike. Ur post just kicked the tears in gear. I just left my final pre-surgery appt at the hospital, the last step b4 Monday morning's ""ordeal" is the only word that comes to mind. It HAS been such a long journey and I HAVE considered this for 10 yrs. This past 9 mths has been extremely educational and certainly not easy as I had to drive about 300 miles round trip for every appointment. So now I'm here. And I'm scared. SCARED. I have prayed non-stop and am not feeling a clear answer. One side of me is saying "it's just the doubter trying to pull u back....ignore it and forge ahead...You've come this far. You're ready. It's time." the other side is saying "wait! What the heck(!) am I thinking?!?!" ARGH!!!!!!!!

You know, I did not struggle with whether or not I would lose favor with God. I had my gallbladder removed in 2002 because it was causing me a great deal of pain and poor quality of life. My mother and her two sisters underwent mastectomies due to breast cancer. God has put things in place to help us live a longer, better, healthier life. And I knew that His will would be done.

Now I did struggle with self disappointment, wondering why can't I just do this myself? And I was initially concerned about the permanency of it. But every time I got winded walking a great distance or could barely get out of my bed due to my knees hurting or thought about the child I want to be healthy enough to bare, those feelings went away.

I knew God was leading the way. The surgeon, nurses were just vessels for His work. Even in my last moments of consciousness, when my nerves were really on edge and I was being strapped to the table, I prayed silently. One of the Nurses tapped me on the arm and asked if I was ok. I nodded. He squeezed and said "No worries. God is in control". Confirmation! I will never forget that.