Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Full Liquids...but Some Hurt!

I'm going by the "recommended" soft food items on the full liquid diet and boy do they hurt. For example, sugar free pudding with Protein powder mixed in...oh dear god..that produced so much gas I only could get a few bits down and had to quite. Same with the strained cream of chicken Soup that was listed. They only thing that is great is crystal light, Jello, plain old Water and yogurt with Protein Powder.

Did anyone else have these problems. Maybe I am just pushing it to hard?? I'm not hungry or full....unless this really uncomfortable, gas-y feeling, with gurlying stomach noises is signs that the sleeve is full.....

I honestly have NO idea how to get in all of the recommended food that they list there. 64 oz of clear liquid, 1/4 cup of soft liquids 3 x's a day and 60 grams of Protein. It does say that I have to build up to it...and I'm only four days out from surgery. Am I expecting too much?? Boy this hurts.

I've been walking really slowly on the treadmill (same pace as when I walked around the hospital floor) too about 3 times a day.

Any thoughts??

the liquid 3 oz Protein Shots is a good way to fill the gaps on days you're low on the Protein count. They come in plastic tubes and can be found in any store diet section like Walmart

liquids were really hard for me for about 1 week, then on the 8th day it was like magic, I could drink and drink. My diet is a little different from yours, my first week was juice and broth diluted with Water, this is my second week and its the same but without diluting + Protein shakes, and next week its blended Soups and creams things with the consistency of yogurt. Even though I find that I miss chewing I think my diet is giving my tummy the chance to heal really well and the gases are not bothering me. I find that sometimes I forget to sip and I gulp, and boy does that hurt!

keep up the good work!

I drink the Isopure Protein juices, which has 40g protein in a 20 ounce. reduced sugar apple juice, ice tea , sugar free Popsicles and Jello, I have no idea if I am getting all my fluids but I can not tolerate anything else, my gas was gone by day 5. They all hurt briefly going down but it's getting less, my energy level is very low still, I get tired very quickly.

Joiebean, 4 days out from surgery? I did really well to just get my Water in me. My doc told me to concentrate on the liquids and add the Protein as I could tolerate it. I definitely don't think that I could have done everything your doc recommends that soon.

Mr. Worm, the Protein Shots contain collagen Protein, which is NOT available for our bodies to use. It's not a good source of protein for us sleevers. whey protein is the one recommended by my Nut. You may want to take one of those protein shots in to your Nut and see what he or she recommends regarding it.

hmm thats odd.. they GAVE me the tube shots to me moments after surgery while in the hospital. Says whey Protein in the tub..hmmm..here is the link to them

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/body-fortress/super-whey-protein-shot.html?MCID=F-GOOG

the liquid 3 oz Protein shots is a good way to fill the gaps on days you're low on the Protein count. They come in plastic tubes and can be found in any store diet section like Walmart

Be careful of those. They do not contain whey isolate protein, but cheap collagen from hooves and such. Your protein should come from eggs, milk or good meats.

I drink the Isopure Protein juices, which has 40g Protein in a 20 ounce. reduced sugar apple juice, ice tea , sugar free Popsicles and Jello, I have no idea if I am getting all my fluids but I can not tolerate anything else, my gas was gone by day 5. They all hurt briefly going down but it's getting less, my energy level is very low still, I get tired very quickly.

I have been on these for almost two weeks. I recommend them wholeheartedly. They are pricey, but worth it. You get 80 grams of protein and 40 oz. of liquids if you drink two a day. Four days seems way too soon for full liquids, but many people manage it. The rule is: If it hurts, go a step back.

I should have read the whole thread. Lissa said the same thing I did about the Protein Shots.< /p>

I've been told the body can only absorb roughly 25 g of Protein at a time so you may want to streatch those drinks out

It does say whey Protein on it, but the FIRST Protein is Hydrolyzed collagen, which means that is the majority of the protein in the shots. Here's the ingredient list:

Other Ingredients: Purified Water, Proprietary Protein Blend (Hydrolyzed Collagenic Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate, Casein Protein Isolate), Malic Acid, Branched Chain Amino Acids (Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine), Natural Flavors, FD&C Red 40, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose.

Contains Milk Ingredients.

It also contains sucralose, which can cause diarreah issues for some people. I missed that before. While on liquids, we definitely don't need more encouragement in that area!

I was given some protein in a tube in the hospital as well. I plan to ask my doc for a sample of that on Monday, but it only had 15g of protein per tube and looked a lot like the tubes that icing comes in these days.

IMO, I would stick with a liquid (broth,jello) diet for at least a week. My doctor explained at this point that the body has been through so much trauma and the stomach is going to naturally have a natural "colitis" effect and produce an excess of stomach acids. Hence the "bathroom" issues. These foods are the easiest to digest at this point. One week out from surgery try Protein Shakes. I'm attempting my first "atkins" Protein Shake this morning and I'm not sure if it's my cup o tea. It's not a slice of cake, that's for sure, lol :P . If you're gun-ho on pudding and such. My doctor recommended literally a tiny teaspoon at first. Then another, then another..so on. Small bites at room temperature. Temperature also has a huge effect in how we digest. Cold foods cause a natural vasoconstriction on our bodies. A natural stricturing of the veins and muscles. This may feel like cramping to you. Try your Water and food at room temperature. Also, I'm taking the Protein bullets and I'm ok with it. I see the # and it makes me feel good. I'm not sure how much I'm absorbing, or not, but in my head I'm sticking to the rules, lol. ;) I say whatever works for YOU. Good luck on your journeys, classmates!