Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein - What Is It Doing Other Than Constipating Me?

The doctor told me that you can only absorb 30g of Protein in an hour so maybe drink half of that 50g Protein Drink in the morning and save the rest for lunch. That way it may be easier to get in your system. Right now, I'm eating 60-80g of Protein a day and very low carbs. I have so much more energy and feel better on days where I eat lots of protein. I ate some proteined oatmeal for Breakfast this morning at 7 am and don't even feel hungry at all, instead I feel full.

You are doing great! What brand of protein supplement do you use? I live overseas so I'm limited on what I can just go to the store and buy. I'm thinking that the whey protein that I use has too many carbs.

They say the whey Protein is the best, and at this point, you don't want to short yourself too much on the carbs. That is the mainstay of where you will be getting your energy. I was at around 30-50g carbs and was listless. Upped to to around 80 and that really helped. Now that I am more active, I try to get in around 120 or so, but I don't count it that closely.

Thanks Pdxman! I was wondering about that. There are some times that I don't have much of an appetite to eat food so I just drink a shake to get me through. I was wondering if the carbs were making me stall on weight loss. I'm 2 months out and have lost 26lbs...I was a lightweight when I had surgery...so from what I've been reading I'm supposed to loose weight slowly. I just ordered some of the Unjury Protein packs to try.

I think yall should read Muscle Building Nutrition and Beyond Brawn. I see alot of misconstrued information flying around in this thread.

Protein is a must have. Carbs are to be had in lite moderation. Dieting is an art. If we had it mastered then we wouldnt be here. We all are here because we cannot master our own bodys proper diet.

Grams of Protein per day.

The average person needs to consume atleast 60grams a day to combat catabolism. Why? Because your body wants to consume muscle first before fats. Everyone after wls is on a Ketosis diet in the range of around 800 calories a day which makes our bodys feed off of itself. Along with getting in the 60 grams of protein everyday you have to drink lots of Water.Why? Because Water is a transporting agent for protein in and also fats out.

I know it has to be tough but you have to be meticulous to this process in order for your body to heal correctly

As far as the absorption of Proteins at any given time is up to your bodys genetics. Some can only take in so much at any given time so spread it out throughout the day

Men have the ultimate advantage over protein synthesis due to our testosterone levels. Due to my HRT I process Proteins more efficiently as much as 300% more than the average person.

Theres alot of books and talk on the subjects of diets and so on. Thats the thing I hate most about this site is peoples quickness to blurt out information on what they THINK they know. Please be prepared to back up comments if you give information. A simple website or book reference or pubmed . People are asking questions and they should get a legit answer because ultimately their lifes on the line.

Ask a bodybuilder. Any bodybuilder whats their diet. High proteins/low carbs.

As far as Constipation goes I would say try and sneek in some caro Syrup if softeners dont work

Yall make my head hurt lol

(null)

My question to the OP is "Do you take an Omega complex everyday?" you can pop a capsule and chase it with some Water.

whey Protein isolate is the best on the market. But then theres the whey blend that I get that has multiple sources of whey Protein. The best way that I can describe it is some Proteins act in a shorter period than others .So if you get the blend it works by releasing the short acting Proteins first and then slowly releasing the slower ones hence you get a longer effect so its always working for you. Kinda like time released medicines.

(null)

They say the whey Protein is the best, and at this point, you don't want to short yourself too much on the carbs. That is the mainstay of where you will be getting your energy. I was at around 30-50g carbs and was listless. Upped to to around 80 and that really helped. Now that I am more active, I try to get in around 120 or so, but I don't count it that closely.

How did your body do with carbs pre-surgery? I only ask because my body doesn't respond to carbs - never has. I just wonder if its going to change. I hope not! :)

Circa. I think the problem with every single one of us is pre op we are carb monsters.

There are scientific studies of people carb loading before strenuous exercising. Thats why they make some Protein shakes with a 2:1 ratio of Protein to carbs in order to help aid in INSULIN activity while working out.

But for us I think we should shy away from carbs until your on good grounds to tinker with simple and complex carbs and good fats.

Instead of carbs we should focus on this:

L-carnitine has many benefits for the body, most importantly with the fat loss process, it is responsible for the transport of fatty acids to the mitochondria, where they are burned for energy, as such enabling the athlete to lose bodyfat.

The amount of body fat the athlete loses is directly related to the amount of fatty acids transported to the mitochondria.

Next is

L-glutamine is essential for maximum muscle growth, brain function and immune system strengthening. It is routinely used to aid the body in recovery after trauma such as workout stress, injuries, surgery and burns.

This is from an IFBB pro

And heres a formula for a carb/fat blocker: White Kidney Bean Extract 600mg, Chitosan 400mg, Betaine HCL 200mg, Bromelin 50mg. You can purchase individually from puritans pride

I am an information monster. I just wish that I could use all this info I have in my mind and put it into actual use instead of having this surgery but I know its inevitable

(null)