Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't Get Motivated To Work Out

When I was young and thin I loved to exercise. I played sports and ran track and loved it. As an adult I started back running when I started gaining weight. I lost 50 lbs. and was in great shape. Then I had babies and health problems and the exercising when by the wayside. Now in my 40's I can't get back into the habit. I just hate it. My body hurts all over due to different problems and just getting old I guess. I can't afford a trainer or a gym.

I have Wii fit Plus and I like it the best. I do it maybe 2 times a week. I bought EA fitness for Wii on someone's advice and I hate it. It's so boring and the exercises are too hard. I can't do squats because I have bad knees. The remote doesn't pick up my movements correctly and it keeps telling me I'm not doing the moves right or at all when I'm trying my best. The thing you have to strap on your leg keeps falling off unless I have it so tight that it cuts off the circulation.

Are there any other good Wii games or any other advice to get myself back into exercise mode? I want to try Zumba or Biggest Loser for Wii but I'm afraid it's too hard. I know I'm whining but I feel really lousy. I'm stuck at the same weight for the last 4 weeks.

wThe WIi Fit was such a horrible thing for me. It has attitude and constantly puts you down when, like you say, you are doing your best.

I have horrible knees as well. Walking for me is the best exercise. I bought a second hand treadmill (for $75 on Craigslist) and a shelf to hold my Kindle. I've started before, but I made a promise to my husband (and myself) that I would start again. He is helping me to set it up tonight. Right now, I have committed to 3 times per week for a minimum of 20 minutes. Not a lot, but it's a start.

Want to set up a "Schedule" with me & we can be accountable to each other? I have 7 pounds to get off from slipping the last 3 months. WE CAN DO THIS!

I force myself to go outside for a very brisk walk for 30 minutes at least 5 days per week. I never look forward to it but I am always proud of myself afterward and it is helping with my weight loss. I live in TX so our weather allows me to do this on most days. I have trouble with my feet and ankles so I wrap them prior to walking, which is a pain but worth it to minimize injury risk. At 49 years old, I am "over" the motivation to work out that existed in my youth. But I know I just have to woman-up and do it. New info says a 30 min.walk per day not only helps your physical health but also lowers risk of Alzheimers. We have a Wii fit and I do a few of the games (I walk during the jogging one) and play around with some others, but the daily walk helps my psyche as well.

If your doing the Wii exercise then just do what you can and work up to it. Don't worry about what the tape is saying, you know your doing your best. Give yourself a pat on the back when you finish the games. I watched my son and his girlfriend which are 29 years old and 22 years old and they both couldn't keep up with it. It just takes time a practice. I will be starting that tomorrow. ;)

I use a Kinect on the Xbox for exercise when it is too cold outside to walk. Your body is the controller so you don't need to hold a remote or have leg straps. I got Just Dance 2 , Kinect Adventures, Gunslinger, and fruit Ninja.

Check your local library for Wii game rental. Ours has them all. You can check them out for free, and if you like them, go buy them.

That's a good idea about the library. But ours doesn't have them. I checked Redbox too but they don't have the ones I would want to try. The game I got at Gamestop was used so it was cheap, and I can take it back. I think I'll try the biggest Loser next. I agree with the one who said to get out and walk everyday. I finally did make myself get out and walk today for about 20 minutes. I felt a little better. It was so cold though! maybe I'll do a little yoga before bed.

If anyone has tried the Zumba please chime in!

What about going to the library or going on line for workout videos. There are plenty of zumba/dance dvd's out there that won't bore you. I also recommend loading up your ipod with your favorite music and walk, walk, walk. Find a neighborhood park or a street with a hill or slight incline and walk up and down to your music' You can get some 2lb or 5lb hand weights from Walmart and walk with your hand weights for a good upper body workout. Try doing your own cuircuit training course, walk really fast for 100 meters, stop do some upperbody exercises (bicep/tricep curls) with your weights, walk back another 100 meters and do 10 pushups on your knees until you can do full pushups. If it's raining outside you can move your curcuit training inside. Walk upstairs to the bedroom do some wall pushups, walk another room and do some squats, walk up and down stairs 5 times and back to the bedroom. Good Luck.

I've tried Zumba for Kinect, and I love it. I've also done the Zumba classes in real life. I found the game was actually easier after I took a few classes. It is not easy right out of the box, and I'm not sure how it would work for Wii. I know I get frustrated trying to sign in using Kinect sometimes.

I highly recommend dance games. They are fun and have a lot of variety.

I like the boxing in WiiFit as well as the step dancing.

I had the same problem keeping the leg remote on with my EA fitness. I should try it again now that my thighs are smaller.

Do you subscribe to Netflix? I've tried workout videos streaming through Netflix. It lets me have more variety. I've also bought several through ebay and when on sale. There were a lot of sales on workout stuff this month.

Good luck!