Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Guys Get All Your Meals In?

So my nut said I should be eating 6 small meals a day (1/4-1/2 cup at each) and I can't possibly do that! I am 4 weeks out, have lost 29 lbs, manage to get in all my chewable Vitamins (yuck!) and feel great.

I get to work at 7:30 am, have my Protein shake (1/2 c),

Then my snack @ 10:30 or 11:00: another 1/2 c Protein Shake.

lunch will be @ 1;30 or 2:00: 1/2 c cream Soup or fat free yogurt w/protein added.

Then I have dinner @ 6:00 pm. If I add another afternoon snack I wouldn't be having dinner until 8:00!

And that would still only be 5 meals. I manage 4-5 8oz glasses of Water and have been doing 30 minutes on the treadmill (slowly) 5 days a week since 2 weeks out. My daily calories average between 450-500 per day, less than 40 carbs, and 60-70g of Protein daily. So I'm wondering if this sounds okay to you guys out there and if not, how do you possibly get all those meals in? My nut insists I follow her plan. :unsure:

My NUT also wants me to eat 1200 calories a day. I can't. I can barely get in 800 calories. I called my surgeon's office and they said to shoot for 800 calories to 1000. So I am basically focusing on Protein, protein, protein, and lots of fluids.

You're only 4 weeks out, you'll get there. At that time, I was lucky if I hit 600 calories a day, usually about 500 and most of those calories came from 2 Protein Shakes. I am now 4.5 months out and have no trouble getting 800-1000 calories per day, usually in 4-5 mini meals. Just focus on Protein and Water while you are healing, and you will be fine. Good luck to you!

Could you do a little cheese (mini babybel or laughing cow wedge) or part of a Protein shake around 4pm? That would give you one more opportunity for some Protein and boost your calories a little. The cheeses are both small, so they shouldn't prevent you from eating dinner. I actually try to put my biggest meal at lunch time rather than dinner. Of course, biggest meal is relative, hmmm?

IIRC, though, I was around 450 to 600 calories a day at your stage, too. As your tummy heals, you'll be able to eat a little more and meet the Nut's goal, but just do what you can on the protein and concentrate on getting your liquids in your tummy.

good luck!! :)

This is what I do

Breakfast at 6 am (proein smoothie or high Protein oatmeal)

snack around 10 (baby bell cheese or a piece of beef Jerky with maybe a few raw veggies - carrots or snap peas)

lunch around 12:30 or 1. (protein and veggies)

Snack around 4 (same as morning snack)

dinner around 6:30 or 7 (protein and veggies)

If you still need Protein, have an after dinner snack of sugar free pudding cup with a little Protein powder stirred in - or a little greek yogurt with some Protein Powder stirred in.

Eat your snacks/meals every 2 hours. I noticed you are eating 3 hours apart or longer. My surgery was oct 20th & I still have trouble getting in 70 grams of Protein in a day. I'm drinking more shakes than eating food. If I can't eat solid food for some reason, I'll drink some of my shake or eat an Adkins or special K Meal Replacement bar. I keep getting told not to worry, that I'll eventually be able to eat more. But my PA stresses getting in all the protein somehow so thats what i concentrate on doing.