Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Pcp Will Not Take My Stitches Out!

I had my surgery with Dr. Almanza at the Jerusalem Hospital. I live in the Atlanta, GA area.

I made an appointment Dec 18th and specifically told my PCP that I needed my sutures / stitches removed 10 days after my surgery scheduled for the 3rd of Jan. They made the appointment and then told me yesterday that I had to see my surgeon... My surgeon is across the country, I say. They ask my Dr again and she won't touch me. The referral group called around and no one else will take them out. I can do it myself but really don't want to. It will be awkward and I get dizzy with my own wounds. I am going to try an Urgent Care center but Argh!!

Anyone else having problems when their surgeon is not local?

You can always just go to an urgent care or doc in a box - they'll take your sutures out.

oh, and I'd switch PCP's too after that crap.

I agree with circa on the PCP switch! That's like not being able to follow up with your PCP after having a wound stitched in the ER. I also removed some of my stitches from a surgery in 1999, it's not that bad.

I'm traveling from NM to TX for my surgery, so my doc said he'll use dissolving sutures. DUH! When they know people are going a long way for surgery, why wouldn't they just routinely do this? For those of us not done yet- ask for dissolving sutures. I had no idea a local doc would not take them out. That's just crazy. Lawsuits drive the world these days. Very sad.

My doctor used dissolving stitches inside & some kind of surgical glue for the outer layer. :biggrin2:

My doctor used dissolving stitches inside & some kind of surgical glue for the outer layer. :biggrin2:

Mine did too...but one stitch poked out. I emailed him and he told me I could clip it myself close to the skin. I was nervous! LOL!

I had disolving stitches also.

Maybe you have a nurse in the family or in ur circle of friends? I bet he/she would do it. I had my surgery with Dr Almanza too. I had my husband help me remove mine. I don't get dizzy, it was just a weird angle to try a see what I was doing. It didn't hurt either.....just the slightest pinch. I hope u find a friend to help u out.

I too went to the SAME place and my wife took them out when we got home after 10 days, it's not hard at all but I understand the squimishness of taking out your own. I like the urgent care doc but this may run you quite a bit of cash as they often have a minimum fee of like $175.

I suspect your PCP is avoiding liability but it is coming off as really being a d**k. I mean what if you cut your head while traveling and had to have the stiches out at home? Abdominal surgery is quite a bit different than a wound but he should be able to tell if there are any issues by looking. Think real hard about switching docs if you can.