Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cancer Survivor, 1/16/12 Vsg Surgery, Reflux

Hi all!

My first post here. I was treated for prostate cancer in 2009-2010. I recieved external beam radiation, chemo and was put on lupron, the testosterone killer. I was given steroids to help me with the chemo and them added to the lupron put 50 pounds on me very quickly putting me up to 330. I am a 6'2" man. The doctor predicted the added weight would be hard to get off and he was right.

I have had acid reflux problems off and on for quite a while and my surgeon, who favors the Roux N Y warned me that I could be on Prilosec the rest of my life after the operation but the RNY folks don't have a problem with it.. I can see some here do indeed have reflux problems. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am still going through with it. The surgery will help with my mild diabetes and the weight loss will lessen my chances of the cancer advancing again acording to the doc. My psa is at 0.3 right now. I have after-effects from chemo; numbness in my feet.

In the past if I laid off the coffee and took Prilosec for a few days the heartburn went away. I am hoping the VSG will not put an eternal fire in my belly. :)

My wife had the RNY recently and is working me over for new clothes. Doggone Macy's gives out charge cards mighty easy. :) Oh, well, I will be looking forward to running it up myself soon. It will be nice to have hip bones again so I don't have to wear my pants at my belly button.

I'm sure you will be fine! I would gladly take a little reflux over being overweight and diabetic any day. I am diabetic too and although it's not bad now, I do worry it could be bad later. I know you can do it! And congrats on beating cancer! That is inspiring!

Thanks, Misha. My urologist is pessimistic despite my low psa level but my chemo and radiation doctors say that the slight rise (went from 0.174 to 0.3 in 6 months. Anything 4.0 and under is considered normal)is to be expected due to the prostate healing itself after treatment. I go along with "glass half full" guys.

I am glad I found this forum. I found one for my RNY wife too so she could hob nob with fellow diminishers.

We plan on moving to Florida and having a lot of fun during our remaining years, our daughter and grandaughters are moving, too. I just turned 63, she is a young chick of 60. We are getting lean and mean and stripped down for action.

No more not fitting into roller coaster seats. No more fat pants that I have to wear over my belly button and when I suck my gut in they head for the floor causing me to drop everything and do a quick grab. I know, suspenders. Just don't like em.

I have no intention of going gently into that good night. I am a preacher and intend to put a hurtin on the Devil while I enjoy the wonderful family God has blessed me with.