Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ready Or Not, Here I Go!

Tomorrow begins my Gastric Sleeve journey as I embark on what is expected to be a miserable two week preop diet. My surgery is scheduled for 01/20/2012 with Dr Thomas Umbach in Las Vegas! I am a southern girl from Alabama so I will be traveling cross country to have this done. I am so excited but also very nervous!!! My pre-preop weight is 243 and I would like to be down to 180 by my 30th birthday in May and then ultimately down to 135 as I am only 5'1". Any advice on getting thru the next two weeks would be most helpful!! Thank you all!!!!

Yes, Pre-op is not fun (but neither is being overweight!) but you will get through it. Then very quickly it will be nothing but a vague memory!

Everything is so exciting after the surgery-getting used to so much new stuff-knowing you did something to help yourself. And then the actual losing part starts!

Just take it one day at a time and remember that it's only two weeks and you can do anything for two weeks. Keep coming to the forums and share your good and your bad.

So glad you are taking this step to improve your life and your health. Best of luck. Enjoy Vegas!!

Congrats! Everyone is anxious about this decision. I remember just focusing on getting to the surgery. I was excited and fearful. The am of the surgery was the worst. I wanted to run away and cancel the whole thing. I didn't and now I am totally thankful for the decision to stick it out and have the surgery. I am sure you will far exceed your dream of getting down to 180 lbs by your B-Day. You will exceed this goal also. Hang in there and keep yourself occupied so your not focusing on the surgery date. Enjoy the old you because you have a new you coming up very very soon. ;)

Tomorrow begins my Gastric Sleeve journey as I embark on what is expected to be a miserable two week preop diet. My surgery is scheduled for 01/20/2012 with Dr Thomas Umbach in Las Vegas! I am a southern girl from Alabama so I will be traveling cross country to have this done. I am so excited but also very nervous!!! My pre-preop weight is 243 and I would like to be down to 180 by my 30th birthday in May and then ultimately down to 135 as I am only 5'1". Any advice on getting thru the next two weeks would be most helpful!! Thank you all!!!!

How cool is this? Im 5'1"and my goal is 130-135 too. The surgeon said 110, but I know my body and 110 is gaunt on me. I weighed 244 a couple weeks ago. I'm older than you 46, but we are virtually twins.

Here's the advice. I make a double Protein shake in the morning, drink one and put the rest in a shaker bottle for lunch. I get my crystal lite and Vitamins together and get my packets or make my broth and pack them for the day.

I never really have an empty stomach. At about 10:30 I get hungry so then I drink broth. I went to a Thai place and asked them to get me the broth out of the Tom Yum Soup. At 1:00 I have another Protein Drink. At 3:30 I have another serving of broth. All this is interspersed by drinking the Crystal Lite stopping :30 before the Protein Shake.

Evening is the most difficult. I drink the remaining Protein. I wish my plan allowed me one high protein evening meal, but it's all liquids. If you feel like you need to eat, Sip some more broth.

There are a lot of recipes for Protein shakes and the best are from Theworldaccordingtoeggface.com.

Keep busy. Get your surgical info, lists for what to bring to the hospital and post-op food in order. I've been cooking and saving broths, Soups and stews.

Make sure you have stuff for your clear liquid, full liquid and pureed stages. Have your Vitamins ready too. I also bought a heating pad (for pain), a 1.5 cup food processor and a mini muffin pan (for pre-op food).

I also worked on an exercise plan and got free weights and exercise DVDs right out by the TV. I am going to walk, hike and do Tae-Bo.

Also, at night when you really want to cheat -- if it's late enough, simply go to sleep. Take some hot broth with you or herbal tea if allowed.

Thank you all for the encouraging words! I know that I can do this! I have never failed at anything that I have set my mind to and committed myself to. I finished school and got my degree while both the hubby and I were working full time and had two kids as well as I have been quit smoking for a month now. So I know that if i commit to it, I can do it.

Catracks -thank you for the advice on the broths, I will certainly start keeping track of the ones I like best. How are you doing on the weight loss? When was your surgery? I haven't obtained a goal from my surgeon yet, the 135 was what I set myself. Like you, I too know my body frame and would look plain funny at 110.

Good luck to all of you! I will update again soon and let you know how it's going!!