Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow going...

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks post op. In addition to my leaking incision, I don't think I'm doing very well.

Yesterday I ran to my local doctor because my constant diareah and belly gurgling were really making me ill. My lap-band doc (Lopez) said this isn't related to the band, so my local doc is running a bunch of lab tests to rule out bacterial infections.

Now I'm running a low fever. My incision isn't infected, and I don't feel horribly sick. Could this fever be my body fighting to recover? Was anyone else really slow going after surgery? How was everyone feeling at this stage? Please give me some words of encouragement to help me stop worrying.

Also, I tried making an appointment with a local lap band doctor, who refuses to see other patients. It would be nice to have a local doctor for follow up. I was told Dr. Tang is a doc in Las Vegas who takes other patients, but I can't find a listing for him. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Lisa.

Dr Tengs number is 702-838-5888

I think the reason you could not find it was just becasue you were spelling it Tang instead of Teng

Hope this helps

Michelle

Awww Man Lisa... Sorry for your troubles! Makes me glad that I am having my surgery here in the states. I really wouldn't think you would need to worry about the leaking incision as long as it is the "okay" type of drainage... keep it as clean and dry as you can. I think every Doc is different but the one I worked for encouraged his patients to wash with an antibacterial soap such as Dial while in the shower and leave open to air as much as possible. I'm not sure what your Doc instructed but would follow as instructed. I guess I would be concerned about the continued diarrhea combined with the lowgrade temp... sounds like your local Doc is on the right track with the tests he is running. Did he do stool cultures (poop samples)??? Did you drink bottled Water while in Mexico???? Keep us updated on the tests your Doc did run... and sure hope he figures out what is going on so that you can get on your way to feeling like yourself again!

Darcy

Me too all Darcy said! and adding a (((HUG)))

Take it easy,

Chantal

Thanks guys! Yes, she (my doc) did request stool samples. I collected the samples at 4:00 and actually gagged - I've never had kids and I'm really bad at that sort of thing. But when I turned them into the lab, they gave me like 6 new vials that they want me to put some poop in, so I guess my doc is being really thorough.

As far as keeping the incision dry, well that's impossible, which is my whole problem. The constant leaking keeps it wet. I have to cover it while at work, but when I get home, I shower & wash it really well. Then I keep it uncovered till I got to bed while constantly dabbing at it as it slides down my belly. I put on a clean t-shirt when I go to bed, and it's all gross and wet in the morning. Then I shower again and cover it for work. I change it several times at work. Last night I bought some liquid bandage, and I put 3 coats on. It sealed it really nice till I stood up, then it started leaking again.

Hey Lisa -

So sorry your recovery is dragging on. I know days 9-10-11 were the worst for me in terms of how I felt, and thought I was doing. I don't recall having the symptoms you are experiencing though - as far as temp and diarrhea.

Glad you're having this followed up. Did you eat/drink anything suspect in Mexico?

Regardless, your doc's test should give you a handle on that.

Keep on top of this, like you're doing, though. Hang in there, girl, and keep us posted as well.

I didn't eat anything in Mexico. I brought my own bottled Water and Gatorade. I did drink their tea, apple juice, and a couple bites of Jello. But there are signs in the hospital bathrooms saying "don't drink the water" so I doubt they'd use tap Water to make their tea and jello... then again, who knows?

Let's just hope they find some creepy crawly things in my stool samples that can be cured with American antibiotics!

How much PAIN are you in ?

If your having alot of pain,(im not talking about gas pain or just a some tenderness) i would find a doctor that deals with the band and go see them right away. In congunction with the fever and loose stool there are some things i would be concered about.

Did your doc give you antibiotics to take post surgery?

Runny cream of wheat can help with the loose stool. (it did for me)

RED CLOVER tea (loose leaf, not bagged) can help boost your immune system to help your body recover.

Your on the right track by going to the doc right away.