Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna Get To Goal. Wanna Join Me?

Kris, i buy the QuestBar. It has 20g Protein, no sugar or sugar alcohol used, 200 c per bar (I eat 1/2) and has 22g total carb, 18g dietary Fiber, sugar 1g. When you subtract dietary fiber from total carbs, your actually getting 4 carbs per bar, and since I only eat 1/2, I'm actually getting 2 carbs. A nutritionist I get news letters from talks about a healthy Protein Bar called JEN. I still need to search for it. You can get more info on QuestBar on www.wuestproteinbar.com. ;)

Here is the recipe for JEN's PB Protein bars:

Jen’s Chewy chocolate PB Protein Bars !

Posted by admin January 24, 2011

Looking for a healthy and TASTY Meal Replacement bar you can make at home? Try these out! I just made them for my husband and he loves them!

Be careful kids…they are delicious! xoxo Jen

Chewy chocolate & Peanut Butter Bars

1 cup oat flour

1 ½ cups whey Protein powder

¼ cup cocoa powder

½ cup nonfat dry milk powder

¼ cup stevia blend

½ teaspoon salt

2 egg whites

¼ cup creamy peanut butter

1/3 cup Water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9”x9” baking pan with wax paper.

Combine all dry ingredients in blender — Process on high speed 2 minutes. In a bowl, beat eggs, and Peanut Butter. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture. With an electric mixer, slowly add the Water until dough becomes a “gooey play-dough” consistency. Pour batter in lined pan, spreading, or pressing dough to an even thickness.

Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool slightly. Remove wax paper and allow to cool completely. Cut into 8 bars.

Calories: 250 Protein: 24g Carbs: 24 Fats: 7 g

Ooh, I just recently tried a QuestBar for the first time and they're AWESOME! It seems like most of the other bars I've tried are very similar. The Quest ones taste better to me, come in more variety of flavors (hello Apple Pie!), and will hold up better in my bag or in my car. They're best microwaved for a few seconds so they soften up - warm apple pie bar with a squirt of SF whipped cream was the best!!

Dorrie & Escape -- thanks for the recommendations about the Quest bars -- I'll swing by my nearest VitaminShoppe this weekend and buy some. I checked out their website and some of the flavors look delish (cinnamon roll and chocolate brownie and lemon cream pie, woot?!). I ate a Premier double chocolate Protein bar for Breakfast today in lieu of my normal steak strips ... meh, it was OK. I missed my steak strips. I have become strangely addicted to them. I go through a 12 oz. bag in 3 - 4 days. Ounce for ounce they give me more Protein and less carbs and fat than protein bars; the only bad thing is the sodium, and I know that is causing me to retain Water.

Got in a good workout this morning w/Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD and am going to treat myself to a yummy Wendy's apple pecan chicken 1/2 size salad for lunch (awesomely good salad if you haven't had one before, and about 300 calories I believe -- I take out all of the cheese -- one of the few fattening things I don't like, LOL).

Popping in to say hi! Swizzly congrats on goal!!! And Welcome Kris! And Coops you know how wonderful I think you are, and SO happy you made it to the pool and swam laps! Happy Belated Saint (David is it?) Day!

I took the last two weeks of Feb off from logging and grazed my way up 1.6lbs from my lowest (what's on my ticker) weight. I tend to keep my ticker at the lowest weight I've seen because the "bouncing" of the scale will make me crazy trying to update that thing everytime the scale reads something different. SO I guess I'm like feedyoureye in that respect, plus I agree with it being a motivational thing...I will see it again. So I'm back on the wagon as far as eating goes but haven't mustered up the ability to get back on the logging wagon. It is time consuming but basically it does help keep me in check. So I probably need to get back on that wagon at some point soon.

I went back to work full-time and my exercise has suffered but not as much as I thought, I went from 7-8x a week to 3-4x a week so that has been ok. Just need to get back on the losing train again!

Hi all,

Globetrotter: It breaks my heart that you are struggling so. Do you have the kettle corn and the candy bars in the house? If so, dump them!!

For me, berating myself is a downward spiral that makes me more likely to eat more bad things. What would you tell your best friend if they were in your shoes? Tell yourself that too! Give yourself a treat right now! Not a food related one, but one that you buy or arrange if you can't afford to buy something.

Some possible treats that perk me up: scented hand or body lotion, scented candle, new lip gloss, cheezy magazine, flavored teas, cozy socks. For things that don't cost money, I meet up with friends for a walk, clean a closet, shelf, or drawer (I know most people wouldn't like this but I love to organize stuff), light a candle and watch a movie, find a new, free computer game online, take a bubble bath, call a friend.

I use a scale to measure my food and I really find it helpful. Once I got used to it, it's faster than using measuring cups and spoons. For example, I put a bowl on the scale, zero it out, and then spoon in yogurt till I get to 227 grams (1 cup). No measuring cup to wash and it's so accurate!

Lynda

I REALLY need to work on getting more veggies back into my diet. I got so into the habit of Protein, and that's still practically all I eat. Sometimes I think I really ought to go back to see a good nutritionist - I saw one a couple of times who worked in conjunction with a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Anyway, I feel like I need some good advice on adjusting my diet as I transition into maintenance, and the NUT my surgeon referred me to wasn't really all that great.

I have a few veggie tricks:

• Baby spinach: It wilts down to a small serving and goes great under any firm Protein. The juices from the meat drip into it and flavor it. Also tastes good on a sandwich. You can buy loose spinach if you don't use much. I can finish off most of a small bag now so I buy it like that instead.
  • Frozen mixed vegetables: Toss them in the pan at the end of cooking your protein, or cook them first and add pre-cooked protein and a little sauce. They are handy because you only take out what you will eat. Yesterday, I had stir fry veggies, chopped chicken breast, and a little sauce made from soy sauce, sugar free apricot preserves and Water. Yum!
  • salad bar and deli case: You can pick and choose just a little of any vegetable they have. High price per unit, but no waste. I have searched and found the best salad bars and get yummy stuff like roasted vegetables, broccoli slaw, and teeny salads of mixed greens, cranberries, and blue cheese.
  • Summer squash and jarred red peppers: I slice the squash with a mandoline and it cooks super fast. I chop a little jarred red pepper and add it for a flavor boost.
  • Vegetable soups: costco had a great one but I haven't been able to find it again.
  • V-8: I like the taste and it makes a good snack between meals.

Lynda

Hey all... hope you are all well...

M2G... Oh I've missed you... glad things are settling down in work and that you are working out... how do you fit it all in!! Manic days for you my lovely.

GT... I still feel your frustration... how is the cardio going? What are you trying? Perhaps things will move a little... I am hoping they will!

Kris I am loving the sound of that DVD... sounds like a good routine!

Lynda, getting veggies in, I feel, I really important to overall health and I always get some in per day.

So me, funny sorta time here across the pond...

On an up note, we had World Book Day celebration on Thursday and we had the chance to dress as a character from a book... I chose Pippi Longstocking this year- adorned with a ginger wig! - and it was really fun... the kids loved it. I got a few funny looks form the neighbours and peeps as I drove to work mind!!

As for the rest of the time well I am really getting frustrated now. Now movement and at the top of my bounce range (which seems to be getting bigger but I know it is Water as I am feeling really bloated some days).

I am starting to feel a little blue. I think it is a combination of a lot of things. We still haven't had Jack's funeral (the pupil that died suddenly) and although we now have a date, the atmosphere in work is still very enmotional. Just Thursday I had a burly lad break down in tears and Friday at our St David's day celebration there were a lot of the older pupils upset and emotional as one of our musicians had composed a 'tune' (sorry Meg, I don't know the proper word) for him and played it at the end. Just heart breaking and I am still struggling to get my head around it all.

On top of that I am just feeling really down... I think that this stall has something to do with it and I also think my hormones are giving me hell too (got another visit from aunt flo that is 13 days between this and the last)... suffering with a lot of headaches. I go back to the menopause clinic in just over a week and I will definately ask there...

I am trying to stay positive and keep upbeat, but I have to say that it is definately hard work at the moment. I seem to be swinging from mood to mood... putting a brave face on in work and in public but then coming home and going into a 'zone' where I just feel down.

I am hopinh that this will soon pass... perhaps I just need a holiday!!

Sorry to sound all doom and gloom ...

Coops. My method for "forgetting everything bad" this weekend was eat anything I want and don't write it down! I had cherry pie with ice creams for dinner one night. Thank goodness for the sleeve...left some on the plate. I was out of town for 3days/2nights.... I guess the eating thing was a bit of an experiment... I am so compulsive about writing food down, and weighing every day... my scale broke and I went off to LA and ate everything I wanted. Came back, got a new scale and just like magic! up 4 pounds above my lowest! I know its mostly water... and I wasn't planing to do it forever... actually kind of relieved to be home and eat more salads and Protein first. I must say I did enjoy the pie and the fries, and the margarita.....Back on track willingly today. The sun is shining, the birds are fighting over the best branch and the cutest girlfriend... spring is nearly here.

Het Feedyoureye,

you always speak so much sense... I think I will start to log again... had a bit of time out and I haven't gone mad - but I think seeing it written down will just be reassuring that I am still 'doing things right' as such... at least that is a part that I can tick and stop doubting myself...

Those 4 party pounds will soon vanish I am sure... isn't funny how now you miss salads... this is defo a way of life now! I find that if my food isn't 'colourful' it doesn't taste as good... I always try to get some peppers, green Beans - things along those lines - to cheer up my plate!

And I think you are right about the weather too... we've had a sunny spell and it has been nice to see the sun... however, we have been warned that it might get a lot colder over this week... I think warmer weather is what I need...lol! =]

Whew! I'm home, y'all. HI KRIS! Nice to "meet" you and welcome to the group! Sorry I was without my computer for this week--seems like you're at home here already. :-)

GT, who does the shopping for your house? I'm asking because if someone else is bringing that stuff in (ESPECIALLY if they know it's something you sometimes crave), it might be time for a little (or big) discussion about being supportive and preventative care of YOU. If you do the shopping, that's another issue. Honestly, I have a "thing" about no food being out of bounds--if I want to eat a Snickers bar for breakfast, I'll do it--I know what that means, though, to my weight loss efforts, and I also personally know it's going to make me feel sick as a dog. If I choose to do it anyway, okay; I evidently want that more than I want what having the Snickers bar is going to keep me from. Does that make sense? That's how I look at things--and I'm NOT trying to bash you; I'm talking about what runs through my head.

Because I'm not an emotional eater, it's hard for me sometimes to understand the emotional fulfillment/guilt thing that some folks experience with particular foods or habits of eating. I can't remember if you said you were seeing a counselor--might be able to help you get some insight on why you eat things you feel are keeping you from attaining your goal. I sometimes think a lot of us have an underlying fear of success--it's so weird, but it only just occurred to me a couple of days ago that nothing's really going to be different when I eventually reach goal. I keep thinking of it as some kind of "magic end to a process," and that's not what this is, really. This is life. It's not something I'm doing for now, only to be able to or have to do something different when I reach my goal. When I reach goal, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing now, for the most part. Maybe I'll try a few bites of whatever when it's available. I did that this week--had a business conference and ate whatever was available that sounded like it would work with my sleeve... I'm going to weigh tomorrow morning and we'll see what the damage is. I did make good choices most of the time, but not all of the time, and I drank way too many Starbucks mochas.

But the "bad food" issue is definitely something that I'm sorry you're dealing with. It does seem like maybe there's an emotional eating component there, and maybe a counselor would be helpful in figuring out what's going on. You know we're all pulling for you!! HUGS

Because I'm not an emotional eater, it's hard for me sometimes to understand the emotional fulfillment/guilt thing that some folks experience with particular foods or habits of eating.

Meg, I'm so glad I'm not alone. I feel bad sometimes for not having more guilt/regret/shame than I do, not cos I want anything to do with those feelings personally, but just so I can be more sympathetic. (BUT, I also feel very triumphant for overcoming my own guilt/shame issues that can no longer attach themselves to (in my case) not eating. It's been years now, but I'm still glad I did the work it took.)

But the work it took to get there was hard and took years and sometimes was torture and caused massive depression and etc. I don't wish these feelings on anyone.

I just wish we could see food for what it is and what it can, and can't, do to/for us. There is no shame inherent in having a Snickers for breakfast, even for a post-WLS patient...so it would be good to figure out where the real shame is coming from and work on it there. Keep it out of your food, out of your mouth so to say.

Many hugs, GT. I am thinking of you a lot. I know I'm no help, but I am pulling for you 110%.

@ Meg - that is EXACTLY perfect advice, and everything I needed to hear. @ Swizzly - how wrong you are, you are HUGE help! All my sleeve siblings, you are the support I can't do without! I had a bad cold last week, am still a bit sniffly around the edges, and chose to jut forget about calories in and exercise output and the whole shebang. I ate bean dip for dinner, had some cocktails, and slept for 3 days and you know what? I feel great! It is Monday and I am excited to get to the gym after work and prance away on that treadmill before the awesome punishment of TRX, followed by some jacuzzi time and a little tango madness. It also helps that I got quite a bit of attention from a new person in my life who CLEARLY had no problems with the size of my behind :D . So, chin up! Boobs out! It's show time!