Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why French Women Don't Get Fat?

Has anyone read the book Why French Women Don't Get Fat?

I am thinking that once I get a few months of banding behind me that I will follow this way of eating.

I think the idea of smaller but quality portions is the way to go.

Has anyone ever tried this program or is anyone currently eating this way?

Not that program, but as part of my pre-surgery prep I'm working on my habit if eating very quickly and not chewing. It struck me after a day or two of doing so that I was enjoying my food more, and being satisfied with less. Because I was taking the time to be aware of it and really tasting it. So it would make sense that doing so with quality food would be good.

Lisah - you are right. Since we have to chew everything until a toothpaste consistancy, it would make sense to eat higher quality foods and appreciate the flavor.

Also, she talks about a leek Soup, I may add that to my liquids.

Yes. I read the book and I followed some of the ideas to loose 20 lbs pre banding. Acutally, I think it really made me more aware of head hunger during those months pre banding. Thought I did not count calories I just stopped eating when I was not hungry and savored my food more...just as I do now.

I enjoyed the book and it is very close to what my surgeon says, "Eat small quantities of high quality food three times daily, no Snacks. Walk daily."

It makes sense.

They also do not shave their armpits.:heh:

Ewwww, so let them be thin. I'll take a girl with curves anyway... especially if she shaves her pits... ewwwwww

heh heh heh

Ewwww, so let them be thin. I'll take a girl with curves anyway... especially if she shaves her pits... ewwwwww

heh heh heh

YUCK. That not shaving is absolutely gross and I have no idea how European men find it attractive... can they ignore THAT? Hmmmmmm...

I guess I eat this way anyway. I love to enjoy food, to make the effort to cook good food, I dont waste my time shoving down food without appreciating it anymore, no matter what it is. I'm still interested in food and the difference is now, I get the big white plate in a restaurante, with the tiny dab of food in the middle and I can appreciate the artfulness of it, without getting cranky that I'm going to need five courses to fill up, lol.

I havent cut anything out of my diet - I even gave in to Australia's Krispy Kremes madness last weekend.

It works for me, but I'd have to say, it makes for very slow weightloss becuase I still eat calorie dense foods. But whilst I love fruit and vegetables, I dont want to live on them. I love yogurt but dont even show me that artificually sweetened low fat crap, ick. Good thick greek yogurt, yummy. That type of thing. So I get plenty of calories on a smaller amount of food, but so be it.

Well. i'm half french and half greek. All european, and I must say that I do shave my armpits, as does every other woman in my family. My mother is full blooded french and she finds it disgusting to not shave under the arms and my father was born in greece, and my grandmother and aunts all shaved, so I think it is untrue that all europeans do not shave their armpits.

Let me tell you what the difference is.

People in the States eat a lot of processed foods, already made meals and generally stuff in which food producers can put anything and you would not have any idea what you are eating.

Here in Europe, especially Mediterranian, we cook our own food out of fresh groceries, eat a lot of fresh fruit and light meat. However, this did not stop me in having 128 kgs. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Well. i'm half french and half greek. All european, and I must say that I do shave my armpits, as does every other woman in my family. My mother is full blooded french and she finds it disgusting to not shave under the arms and my father was born in greece, and my grandmother and aunts all shaved, so I think it is untrue that all europeans do not shave their armpits.

I was just kiddin':p

heh heh heh

Just to set straight a few misconceptions: I've been living in France for the last 16 years and half my family now is French. French women shave their armpits just as much as women in the US, Britain or anywhere else.

Concerning the book, the French eat better quality food than anglo-saxon cultures in general (very little fast food, and mostly fresh produce cooked lightly in olive oil or grilled), not necessarily less, but small portions of a large variety of food groups (every meal is at least 3 courses, but of small servings). They generally do not eat in between meals.

Now, why French women aren't fat: when I was at university here, two thirds of the girls I knew were bulimic, and just about all of them smoked.... Also, in general, the French are into physical exercise - walking, biking, and don't drive everywhere in their cars.

Now if only I could learn a thing or two from my husband and the rest of the skinny French people I know....

Deana.

Now, why French women aren't fat: when I was at university here, two thirds of the girls I knew were bulimic, and just about all of them smoked....

Maybe I should start smoking!!

I spent 5 years in Germany and can vouch that the German women were certainly not underweight and they sure didn't shave under their arms or their legs. France and Germany must be further apart then I thought. In Germany they love high calorie food....cakes, breads, etc. and sometimes that is their lunch.< /p>

I spent 5 years in Germany and can vouch that the German women were certainly not underweight and they sure didn't shave under their arms or their legs. France and Germany must be further apart then I thought. In Germany they love high calorie food....cakes, breads, etc. and sometimes that is their lunch.

French and German people certainly do not have the same type of cuisine/diet and their cultures couldn't be further apart.... There's no comparing apples and oranges!