Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still Eating 2 Days Before Gastric Sleeve Surgery : (

I'm having surgery on the 29th, but was only scheduled a week ago. Bought and started using the Protein Powder in milk, but every day caved and have eaten favorite foods. I'm disappointed in myself, and know that beyond the "food funeral" there was some emotional eating at play. I feel scared about post-surgery. I truly do feel ready for this (have been considering/investigating weight loss surgery for a couple of years now), but I know that this is just a tool. And the tool will only be as effective -- and safe -- as the person using it.

It's really hard to give up things that we've conditioned ourselves to believe make us feel good/better and beating yourself up could make yourself feel worse and turn you to the comfort of favorite foods again.

For me, this is an incredibly emotional journey and there are times I just want cake or something. Lately though, I've found that my go-to foods aren't as comforting and I hope this is some part of me preparing for post-op.

I'm worried about post-op too - will I be able to follow the Dr's orders for eating, will I be able to follow the "Protein first" mantra of WLS life, will I loose, will it all be worth it? I'm just sort-of throwing it all up to the fates for now and trying to trust myself and to forgive myself a little.

Funny that you say that....I have felt less satisfied and comforted, too, about my fav go-to foods. In some ways I feel that's it's the mental step I've taken to really believe that this is it, and that I'm serious. It is my time to begin my journey to a healthier me. But you're right, it's all about that conditioning over many years. I just feel disappointed that even with my commitment and determination, I've not done my part to make my surgery the best it could be (shrinking liver, etc., for instruments).

I must have went to all my favorite restaurants the month before surgery. Then as soon as the pre-op diet started, I was in it all the way. I decided to do and do it right. After surgery I no longer wanted the bad stuff, all I wanted was to lose weight and eat right. It's so much easier now. You will be better able to make the right choices after surgery because you are not starving. It is a daily effort to eat the right stuff but you can do it.

I'm having surgery on the 29th, but was only scheduled a week ago. Bought and started using the Protein powder in milk, but every day caved and have eaten favorite foods. I'm disappointed in myself, and know that beyond the "food funeral" there was some emotional eating at play. I feel scared about post-surgery. I truly do feel ready for this (have been considering/investigating weight loss surgery for a couple of years now), but I know that this is just a tool. And the tool will only be as effective -- and safe -- as the person using it.

Does your surgeon know that you haven't prepped for the surgery? I am asking because I was told about a situation where a patient did not prep and apparently they got her all ready and could not do the procedure because her liver was in the way.

I can't recall who told me this, scratching my head.

It did scare me, and I was pretty darn good for my 13 days of pre-op diet. I definitely didn't eat any meat and totally missed out on my planned birthday dinner.

I hope it all goes well for you, but you might want to let your doctor's office know what's up, just in case?

Edited to add: I believe it was one of the nurses doing my pre-op tests who told me about the lady who could not have the procedure.

I haven't yet spoken to the surgeon, but for the next day and a half I'm doing Clear Liquids only. I've heard from others that if your BMI was more in the 40 range that the liver shrinking isn't as much of an issue?? Also that it takes a good couple of weeks for that to happen anyhow?? I'm not trying to downplay my missteps here, but it occurs to me that if I was put on the Protein Shake diet the afternoon of the 23rd for surgery the morning of the 29th then maybe this won't be an issue? Thanks to all for responding!!

I haven't yet spoken to the surgeon, but for the next day and a half I'm doing clear liquids only. I've heard from others that if your BMI was more in the 40 range that the liver shrinking isn't as much of an issue?? Also that it takes a good couple of weeks for that to happen anyhow?? I'm not trying to downplay my missteps here, but it occurs to me that if I was put on the Protein shake diet the afternoon of the 23rd for surgery the morning of the 29th then maybe this won't be an issue? Thanks to all for responding!!

Perhaps a lower BMI would be an indicator of a smaller liver, I am not sure. I was lower than many on my BMI (a smidge under 40 on day of surgery), and also my surgeon required a very easy pre-op diet for me: low fat (<15g/day)/low calorie/vegetarian. I accidentally had a little too much fat a few days, by assuming a few things.

I didn't get a full two week pre-op prep time, due to trying to get in before the end of the year. Mine was scheduled less than two weeks out.

I just think it is a good idea to be up front with our surgeons so that there are no surprises on the table. I can only imagine going through all these emotions and all the prep to just be closed back up without completing the procedure.

Good luck to you! Are you excited? One more day!

Perhaps a lower BMI would be an indicator of a smaller liver, I am not sure. I was lower than many on my BMI (a smidge under 40 on day of surgery), and also my surgeon required a very easy pre-op diet for me: low fat (<15g/day)/low calorie/vegetarian. I accidentally had a little too much fat a few days, by assuming a few things.

I didn't get a full two week pre-op prep time, due to trying to get in before the end of the year. Mine was scheduled less than two weeks out.

I just think it is a good idea to be up front with our surgeons so that there are no surprises on the table. I can only imagine going through all these emotions and all the prep to just be closed back up without completing the procedure.

Good luck to you! Are you excited? One more day!

Thanks for the info! I am excited, and I will let my surgeon know that at least until yesterday it was Protein shakes + solid food. And I was trying to get in before year-end as well. In any event, counting down the last 24 hours! biggrin5.gif

Glad you called their office. Now you can relax before your big day! :)