Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food And Stages

well today marks 2 weeks for me post op im down 17 lbs since dec 12 when i was sleeved but the difference in my clothes is unreal. over the holidays though i have had a taste of this and that and i have managed to eat ham and turkey just chewed it really reallly good till it was nothing. my stomach doesnt hurt or nothing so what do you guys think am i healing ok or am i pushing it. i can tolerate everything i eat a little and go do something then i would have a little more. im suppose to be on puree and mushies starting this week but i seem to be fine if i chew everything real well. and when i say well i mean to liquid which is hard for me because im a texture person and someone who used to eat fast.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh but, without doctor approval, it is NEVER a good idea to push to the next stage. If your surgeon says yes, then that's fine. Pushing yourself too fast can lead to major complications. Yes, the stages are based on "old" info from Gastric Bypass and RNY surgeries, but most doctors use that info because there is not enough research yet to prove that sleevers can move forward faster.

You do NOT want to do something that would cause a leak in your stomach or a rip somewhere. The diet, liquid, full liquid, then mushies, is there to protect your stomach from a leak and to make sure you have the best recovery possible. It's temporary, although it is tough to mentally get through this stage! Once you are back on solids, this will become a distant memory, mine already feels like a dream state.

Please, please, protect your new sleeve and give it the time it needs to heal. If you need motivation to stay on track, go read the threads from those who have had leaks and abcesses. Their experiences should be enough to convince you to stay the right course. If you MUST chew something, try SF popsicles or Ice if your teeth will handle it.

Sorry, not wanting to be mean, but I don't want to see anyone have problems if they can prevent them. Good luck!!

ok this hasscared the daylights out of me!!! lol. im supposed to start mushies next week (i think) but since im not getting in any Protein & i start work next week, inthought of slipping in a little apple sauce in here and there. the shakes just are so gross ;(

I'm sorry if this seems harsh but, without doctor approval, it is NEVER a good idea to push to the next stage. If your surgeon says yes, then that's fine. Pushing yourself too fast can lead to major complications. Yes, the stages are based on "old" info from Gastric Bypass and RNY surgeries, but most doctors use that info because there is not enough research yet to prove that sleevers can move forward faster.

You do NOT want to do something that would cause a leak in your stomach or a rip somewhere. The diet, liquid, full liquid, then mushies, is there to protect your stomach from a leak and to make sure you have the best recovery possible. It's temporary, although it is tough to mentally get through this stage! Once you are back on solids, this will become a distant memory, mine already feels like a dream state.

Please, please, protect your new sleeve and give it the time it needs to heal. If you need motivation to stay on track, go read the threads from those who have had leaks and abcesses. Their experiences should be enough to convince you to stay the right course. If you MUST chew something, try SF popsicles or Ice if your teeth will handle it.

Sorry, not wanting to be mean, but I don't want to see anyone have problems if they can prevent them. Good luck!!

My post was not meant to cause fear, but to encourage caution. Follow your doctor's instructions and, if you really feel the need to accelerate, then call your Nut and ask for advice.

The few fatality stories I've heard were related to people who ate WAY too much WAY too fast. My nurse friend has read in the medical journals about people who did truly stupid things, like eating a whole pizza a few days post op or attempting steak within a week of a WLS surgery.

There really is a MAJOR head component to this surgery. Some people are truly addicted to food and cannot regulate their eating even with surgical intervention. That's scary, and probably why psyche consults are required.

But, if scared is what it takes to keep someone from harming themselves, then so be it. I doubt applesauce would hurt you if you're starting mushies in a day or so. I wouldn't push it, though, unless your doc or nut say it's okay.

I'm rooting for everyone to make it through the healing stage without complications. :)

BTW, I agree on the shakes being gross! I'm still not ready to try another one, despite Egg Face's delicious looking recipes. :)