Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Pay In Ct - Looking For Gastric Sleeve Surgery Cost Comparisions

Hi there - Recently it was confirmed that my insurance does not cover WLS under any circumstances. I had thought that I would go the Gastric Bypass route as that was what I had assumed my insurance would pay. Since they are not covering anything, and I am now a self pay, I back to weighing the differences in terms of Gastric Bypass and the Sleeve.

For many reasons the sleeve is much more attractive and is what I am leaning strongly towards. I have an appt with my dr. office to speak options now that I am driving the decision and not insurance in term of surgery options (I have gone through all of the Center of Excellence criteria - meetings, phsy evaluation, 3 months nutritional, support meetings etc). From a health standpoint, both are good options but I personally lean towards the Sleeve because of low Iron issues I have had for many years.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with self pay in the US - CT/NY/NJ area in particular - that they would be willing to share. While cost is not the driver in terms of what I decide, I was wondering if anyone had a perspective on both as well (I assume they are the similar).

Thanks for reading and really appreciate any comments, advice or info you can provide.

I was self pay and did it in Mexico. It was not the least expensive option I found, but it was done in a hospital by a board certified surgeon who got great reviews. I am 1 month out and took only one pain pill and am very happy I got it done. Let me know if you want more info.

I'm in NW Pennsylvania...my VSG package was $14,125. I also had a hiatal hernia repair which the insurance pain $5,000 for, so my final cost was $9,125.

Thank you both for the reply.

I have heard great things about Mexico - glad to hear things went well for you.

And while it must have been tough to have a hernia issue, it's great that you were able to get some of it applied to the sleeve.

Appreciate the replies and the willingness to share your experience. I am hopeful that I will be joining you both soon!

I am in Meriden and go to Dr. Benbarhim at MidState - give Kelly a call at 203 694-5435 she is the coordinator maybe she can offer some assistance.

They are great to deal with - hope it works out

Janerose - just spoke to Kelley and she was great. Thanks for the recommendation. She was so helpful and really informative. These discussions are not easy and I have to say she made me feel really comfortable. I will let you know how it goes but thanks again!

So glad you called her and hope that you can work something out with the group - Dr. Ben has done many surgeries and has great pre and post people working with him.

My surgery is January 10th; just got a call from the hospital for a pre-surgical exam and had all the blood work done today as well.

I am heading up to Vermont for the next four days to Celebrate the New Year - it will truly be a New Year! Keep in touch and let me know how it goes for you.

That is wonderful news Janerose! Enjoy Vermont and I look forward to hearing how things go. I am Sending good thoughts for Jan 10th!