Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Surgery Newbie Here, Young, Fat Spanish Chick..

Oh girl, let me tell you my story. I have been shopping in the plus sizes since I was 18. I am now 45. I have always love Kohls. I will never forget about a year and a half ago when my daughter and I went shopping one evening there. She headed for the juniors department, and as always, I headed for the plus size department. I picked out a few outfits and when I tried them on, they were too big. So, I went down a few sizes and they were still too big. Then I realized that everything in the plus size section was too big for me. I panicked because I just knew everything in the "normal" size section would be too small, and I love Kohls and was afraid I wouldn't be able to shop there anymore. But, for hoots and giggles I wandered on over to where the "normals" get their clothes, picked out a few things and headed for the dressing room. OH MY GOSH!!! I couldn't believe it, they fit! My daughter came looking for me and found me sitting on the floor of the dressing room balling my eyes out. She was terrified something awful had happened. Then, when I told her I was crying because I was so happy about finally being able to wear regular sizes, she was so happy for me she cried too. I remember calling my son, my parents, anyone who would listen, because I was so excited. That is a moment and a feeling I will never, ever forget.

Thank you guys for all the support, i am literally tearing up right now!!! I can truthfully say i love you guys already! Yes i cant wait to finally be able to go shopping n fit into the "Junior size" lol no more 1x, 2x lol... "One day at a time" i need to remember to breath lol... Thank You All!!!

i cant waaaaait to eat pasteles!

You will soon! I wasn't able to eat it on Thanksgiving so I made sure to try on Noche Buena. I purposely let it boil a little longer so it was "kinda" mushy and it was perfect!

Today, "asopao de pollo" was AWESOME!!!!!! I am in shock and thrilled it went down well. I can't wait to read all of your posts about the regional foods you and the other gals were able to eat!

Oh girl, let me tell you my story. I have been shopping in the plus sizes since I was 18. I am now 45. I have always love Kohls. I will never forget about a year and a half ago when my daughter and I went shopping one evening there. She headed for the juniors department, and as always, I headed for the plus size department. I picked out a few outfits and when I tried them on, they were too big. So, I went down a few sizes and they were still too big. Then I realized that everything in the plus size section was too big for me. I panicked because I just knew everything in the "normal" size section would be too small, and I love Kohls and was afraid I wouldn't be able to shop there anymore. But, for hoots and giggles I wandered on over to where the "normals" get their clothes, picked out a few things and headed for the dressing room. OH MY GOSH!!! I couldn't believe it, they fit! My daughter came looking for me and found me sitting on the floor of the dressing room balling my eyes out. She was terrified something awful had happened. Then, when I told her I was crying because I was so happy about finally being able to wear regular sizes, she was so happy for me she cried too. I remember calling my son, my parents, anyone who would listen, because I was so excited. That is a moment and a feeling I will never, ever forget.

Oh Susan what an awesome story!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing it!

r we able to eat ketchup cuz i looooove drenching my pasteles in it. my mommy says i kill the taste to the pastele pero what does she know lol

You will soon! I wasn't able to eat it on Thanksgiving so I made sure to try on Noche Buena. I purposely let it boil a little longer so it was "kinda" mushy and it was perfect!

Today, "asopao de pollo" was AWESOME!!!!!! I am in shock and thrilled it went down well. I can't wait to read all of your posts about the regional foods you and the other gals were able to eat!

(((Susan))) I can't wait until it's my turn to shop in the normal size section. It's getting closer, I can feel it! :)

And, all you latinas need to tell me what a pastelle is because it sounds yummy! :) Please??? Maybe a recipe?

http://latinfood.about.com/od/puertorico/r/pasteles.htm

(((Susan))) I can't wait until it's my turn to shop in the normal size section. It's getting closer, I can feel it! :)

And, all you latinas need to tell me what a pastelle is because it sounds yummy! :) Please??? Maybe a recipe?

LOL Lissa, actually I think it is an acquired taste kind of dish. They are difficult to make. Most people buy them frozen for the holidays and boil them right before serving. They are the size of a deck of cards. The outside part (the acquired taste) is made out of ground up plantains and or cassava and other roots. The color is not the most pleasant. The inside is stuffed with delicious seasoned meats like pork, chicken, ground beef etc. It is all wrapped in banana leaves.

If you feel adventurous, call your closest latin market in Port St. Lucie and buy one for about $2.00. Boil it in salted Water for 1 hour (I think) and you are good to go. You will at least like the Protein inside. Hope you try it! smile.png

we buy ours from a lady in bronx ny! they aredelicious. we buy them by the dozen and we even sell them for more!

LOL Lissa, actually I think it is an acquired taste kind of dish. They are difficult to make. Most people buy them frozen for the holidays and boil them right before serving. They are the size of a deck of cards. The outside part (the acquired taste) is made out of ground up plantains and or cassava and other roots. The color is not the most pleasant. The inside is stuffed with delicious seasoned meats like pork, chicken, ground beef etc. It is all wrapped in banana leaves.

If you feel adventurous, call your closest latin market in Port St. Lucie and buy one for about $2.00. Boil it in salted Water for 1 hour (I think) and you are good to go. You will at least like the Protein inside. Hope you try it! smile.png

Lovely story Susan I cant wait!!!

Thank you for sharing!!!!

Lisa pastelitos is a masa (kind of like a dough) made out of green plaintains, pumpkin, n the small plaintains.. you have to grin it until its all mushy.. u wrap it in plaintain leaves n add ur favorite meat in the middle.. http://www.food.com/recipe/Pasteles-En-Hoja-Dominican-Republic-Version-273156 this is one website that has the nutritional facts and servings.. on the other hand this is another website that i love to cook from

http://www.dominicancooking.com/41-recipe-pasteles-en-hoja-ground-roots-pockets.html soo good..

Longer Life wink.png mm "asopao" sounds great lol I will make some today for dinner smile.png

And pastels are not that difficult to make lol I make them every Christmas by my self wink.png

Are you puertorrican too?

Liliana you must be a great cook! I can't make asopao either! I follow recipes really well but I let the hispanic foods to my mom and sister in law. tongue.png

I'm Dominican American.

I am ok cooking he he I grew up in PR for 21 years and my grandmother teach me how to cook since I was 9, I lived in the kitchen with her lol

My husband is american/puertorrican/dominican and my mom in law makes the most delicious mangu ever but I need to find a way to make it without the fat lol

I love Dominican Republic,the people and the food is so good lol lucky you :)