Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK, I need some advice or comments from someone in my shoes or somewhere near them. I currently weight 194 but have been as high as 208. I carry all of my weight in my butt and belly. Until about 20 years ago I was thin. Then my thyroid stopped working, I am on total replacement, and I started having some irregular heart rhythm and high blood pressure and I am on toprol xl to control the irregular heart rhythm and maxzide for high blood pressure and Fluid. I hold in alot of fluid. Because my arms and legs are not what you would consider big and I only have about 70 to 80 pounds to lose I am getting some comments from my family about whether or not I should have it or just try to lose it. I have been told that b ecause of the troprol it will be hard for me to exercise it off because my metabolism is very slow. Now, this is the reason I want to have the surgery. I hate my big belly. Never had one until about 20 years ago and it is continuing to grow. My Mother had a hugh belly (not when she was young) and she had all kinds of heart trouble beginning about the age I am. She also had a big problem with fluid, expecially in her legs (where mine is) and then started having blood clots in her legs. We are talking about six in one leg and three in the other (all at one time) She threw a blood clot to her lungs on two separate occasions and did not die. She had a hard time being mobile for the last 10 years of her life.

So far I have the beginnings of her big belly (mine sticks out further than my boobs when I sit down) problems with the veins in my legs, they hurt and my feet turn purple, High blood pressure, snore like a freight train, wake up feeling like I am smothering, do not sleep well at all. I just do not want to end up like she did.

Should I ignore them, since I have not lost it yet. I talked to my cardiologist and he did not think I was crazy. I am scheduled for January 16th and am just worried about doing the right thing.

Would really appreciate some input.

Oh, one more thing, my hustand had it in August and has lost 80 pounds, so it is not like I dont know what is coming and what I will have to do without.

Thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas.

The only ones who can truely answer your question are you and your Dr. If you are 80 pounds over with co/morbidities you might qualify... but other health issues might preclude you. Ask your Doc. Good luck with that, and check back in with us for support if you go on that journey.

Thanks for the reply. I do qualify. Although my BMI is below 35 my comorbity qualifies me. My insurance does not pay for any of it so I did not even go that route.

Well, maybe the surgery will help you. I've heard of many co-morbities get fixed after the surgery . As far as exercising, I really haven't exercised since my surgery 2 years ago and still lost 150+ lbs. . . but it has stopped now. . so for my new years resolution i will be returning to the gym to help kick start the weight loss again . . . if you could do it yourself, it would have worked already right? Good luck to you and have a Merry Christmas and a blessed new year!

Cake, You're ahead of the game if you go ahead and have the surgery now. Waiting for COPD or pulmonary embolism, or any other crazy problem is not a smart move. If you doctor says yes, then go for it!

I was basically immobile before surgery and I'm walking and riding the exercise bike to help tone me up and lose weight. I've lost 70 pounds in under 4 months. Your results will vary from mine, though. I started at 352 before the pre-op diet.

Good luck and let us know how your surgery goes! :)

I love my sleeve, and I bet you will too. Your date will be here before you know it! ....some studies show that lower BMI patients have better success with the sleeve then higher....

I don't understand why you are even hesitating. With the health problems you describe and your genetic tendencies, the sleeve sounds like just the tool you need to save yourself. Go for it, girl. I'm sure you won't be sorry...Kathe

I'd say DO IT! I'm hoping to have mine done 1-30 and I'm 198, but I'm only 5' nothing but I do carry it pretty well. Most ppl say GOSH! your not big enuf for THAT!!!! but I have gained and lost the same 35# about 35x since having my youngest who will be 17 on Wed. I have never been able to keep it off and I have never been able to get down even close to what I should weigh which is about 130. I know my scoliosis and arthritis, bp, and blood sugar will catch up to me even worse if I do not get this weight off and keep it OFF!!! So good luck!