Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery, On The Losers Bench!

This is mostly a duplicate for December sleevers, but want to share my experiences with other prospective and post-op sleevers. I really had a pretty good first few days, relatively speaking.

Here is my whole surgery story:

sleep last night, waking up only to take my pain meds to keep ahead of the pain, and that was FABULOUS. I woke up feeling tons better. I know by night time I will not be feeling so great if my past experience with c-sections holds true, but I'll take how i feel right now. This is great.

in general, I have tolerated liquids great, not had any nausea, had lots of bloating and gas pain and referred pain through yesterday from the CO2, but all in all doable. I walked 6200 steps yesterday with my small walks around the block with hubby or son. Which, ironically is more steps than I was getting in on average pre-op. LOL. Small walks add up if you do them regularly (lightbulb moment, duh)

I really don't WANT anything to eat. but it is hard to see the commercials on TV for yummy things and to smell the foods other people are eating in the house. Hubby has felt bad and I told him, he needs to eat and he shouldn't feel guilty about that!

My hubby has been GREAT. He always is. So helpful and uncomplaining, he is the best. He's very supportive. He has a difficult time sleeping when I am not there, so although I would have preferred sleeping in the recliner, I slept in our bed so that he could get some good sleep. with the incline in my bed because of pre-op reflux and a stack of pillows, it worked out quite well. I slept great.

The only really bad thing that has happened was that my two year old was sitting on the lower part of the recliner I was sitting on last night, and although I had a pillow protecting my tummy, at one point he suddenly turned and wanted to lift himself up and of course somehow shoved his little hand UNDER the pillow, and shoved all his weight right on the most tender site to hoist himself....OMG. I cried. I couldn't help it. That hurt.

One thing, I don't know if its the meds, the wear off of anesthesia or what, but my sleep is heavy and my dreams are vivid and crazy. the last dream of the night I dreamed that I "accidentally" ate beef stroganoff and noodles during the post op clear liquid stage and was sitting there horrified wondering what was going to happen to me. It seemed SOOOO real, I woke up sure I had accidentally done that. biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Also, although i was pumped full of liquids, I've been able to clear them adequately and I'm not really Water bloated, and I would say that is confirmed by the fact that I've lost a few pounds since surgery when I weighed myself this AM. I was expecting to have gained some water weight.

It sounds like you are doing so great. In no time you will be doing even better and have hardly any pain at all. Congrats and welcome to the losers bench!

Thanks Felicia, as I expected now as we get toward evening I am a bit more raggedy even with a good midday nap, but overall can't complain.

I had some pretty bizarre dreams during my first week or two. My sleep schedule -- never very regular to start with -- was completely whacked out and at times I couldn't tell if what I remembered happening really did or if it was a dream. I NEVER in my life dreamed about eating but I did during that time. I even convinced myself once that I could email doughnuts der.gif (I don't even like doughnuts much!) Things started to settle down at the end of the 2nd week.

It's amazing what the body will do under stress and we all handle it differently. Sounds like you're handling things well so far... keep up the great work!