Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"the New Girl" To The Forum- My Vsg Journey

Hi everybody!

I have been reading (lurking on?) this site's postings & blogs for about a month now, but I've finally decided to join.

In my head, I have been considering WLS for a long time now, but my mom died 9 years ago due to complications from a gastric bypass, and the thought was (previously) terrifying. Now, as I turn 29, and am at my highest weight EVER (266#, 5'0"), I realize that VSG surgery may in fact be the best option for me. I've been on Weight Watchers 3 times, and tried Opti-fast last year through Kaiser, but I eventually just gain back the weight that takes so long to lose.

Gastric bypass surgery makes me VERY uncomfortable, and the Lap-band scares me because of the foreign body inside of you...so that's why I feel like VSG is the sensible middle ground. My family all lives on the East Coast, but I do have 1 brother, an amazing boyfriend, and 3 of my best friends here in NorCal and they are all being extremely supportive about my interest in WLS. They want me to be healthy and to live a long time!

In July, I asked me PCP at Kaiser (NorCAL) Walnut Creek about a referral to the WLS program. I have attended the info seminar AND the 5 hour Orientation at Kaiser Richmond. The #1 reason that I am writing today is:

I have my meeting with the surgeon next week! Currently, my assigned surgeon is Dr. Aaron Baggs, and I have read good things about him on this site. But, I am so worried that I will "freeze up" at the appointment, and forget what to ask him!

I am hoping that some of you in VST land might be able to give me some ideas about the kinds of questions I should be asking the surgeon? I will also need to tell him at the meeting that I want VSG above the other types of WLS- any pointers on how to broach that topic?

PS- I am also terrified because I am a HUUUUUUGE wuss when it comes to pain! HUGE!!! Sometimes when I read your posts about post-op drains, pain, incisions, etc- I feel queasy and light headed. Do you think this means I am not a candidate? i'd love your input!!

Hugs,

Sarah (Flagstaffian)

Dont be afraid of the pain. While you are in the hospital they will give you something for pain and it really helps. I didn't have very much "incision" pain, mine was mostly due to the gas they use during the surgery and walking is the best way to get rid of it. I spent 2 nights in the hospital, my doctors standards and by the end of the first week, I really didn't have hardly any pain. If I drank to fast I got that feeling in the middle of my chest like you get when you swallow a bite that is too large. As long as you follow your doctors instructions, you should be fine. Keep in mind it seems like all the doctors have different instructions. Some doctors let you eat soft foods right away while other doctors make you stay on Clear liquids for a couple of weeks afterwards. I am 1 month out from my surgery and one of my requirements was to be on a 4 month monitored diet with a nutrienist (?) before the surgery, so all total I have lost a little over 50 pounds and I am feeling great. I can already tell the difference in how my knees and hips feel, I can't wait to see how I will feel when I lose the next 50. So as long as you have your goals in mind (getting healthy & living a long time) you can get thru any of the discomfort of the surgery. Just keep telling yourself the end result is soooooo worth it!!!

Good luck, you will find a huge group of supporters here and always a comforting ear ready to listen to you.

Hi Sarah,

My name is Debbie and I am in Orlando. I had my surgery Thursday on Dec 15th. Boy I can tell you that I was scared! So much that I almost didn't go! I lost my mom last year to non alcoholic liver cancer. She had been on statins for years and was diabetic. I wad headed down the same path. In June I had a mild heart attack. In July I had a mini stroke. Pre diabetic and with a fatty liver I knew what I had to do. The surgery was not bad at all. I have four incisions including the one where the drain was. They are healing great with very little discomfort. My doctor placed a few staples at the incision sites which will be removed this Friday. Yay! I did not have a pain pump, nor did I need it. I was given pain meds through the IV to stay comfortable and I did not have any nausea. The Important thing is to get up slowly and walk. It will help tremendously. I spent one night in the hsp and once home walked around the house 10 minutes every hour. Gas x chewables help with the gas and remember lots of chapstick. In the hsp you will have a very bad dry mouth and lips. Ice chips and chapstick( actually I prefer Nivea kiss of milk and honey) are a must! I feel really good today. Even did my hair! You can do this! Research your doctor and be prepared. The people on this site are awesome and I would love to keep in touch.

Knee2010,

Thank you!! One thing I have committed to is following my doctor's instructions 100%. It seems like the BEST and ONLY way to minimize complications.

Hi Sarah,

My name is Debbie and I am in Orlando. I had my surgery Thursday on Dec 15th. Boy I can tell you that I was scared! So much that I almost didn't go! I lost my mom last year to non alcoholic liver cancer. She had been on statins for years and was diabetic. I wad headed down the same path. In June I had a mild heart attack. In July I had a mini stroke. Pre diabetic and with a fatty liver I knew what I had to do. The surgery was not bad at all. I have four incisions including the one where the drain was. They are healing great with very little discomfort. My doctor placed a few staples at the incision sites which will be removed this Friday. Yay! I did not have a pain pump, nor did I need it. I was given pain meds through the IV to stay comfortable and I did not have any nausea. The Important thing is to get up slowly and walk. It will help tremendously. I spent one night in the hsp and once home walked around the house 10 minutes every hour. Gas x chewables help with the gas and remember lots of chapstick. In the hsp you will have a very bad dry mouth and lips. Ice chips and chapstick( actually I prefer Nivea kiss of milk and honey) are a must! I feel really good today. Even did my hair! You can do this! Research your doctor and be prepared. The people on this site are awesome and I would love to keep in touch.

fljovideb, I am rooting for you!! I will be so interested to follow your journey, a few months ahead of mine.

Happy holidays, guys!

Sarah

Hi there and welcome.

I had my surgery on August 29th with Dr. Paul Fisher at Richmond. Everyone at Richmond Bariatrics is awesome! I have heard wonderful things about Dr. Baggs as well. In fact I think he assisted with my surgery. Everything went exactly how I expected (I did a lot of reading here on VST and researched the surgery like crazy). There were some rough days with weakness and fatigue at first but my incision pain wasn't bad at all and I don't remember much gas pain either. By the way, you will have no drain tube with Kaiser Richmond Bariatric Surgeons. I have five small incisions which healed so fast it was amazing. I can't promise that you will have no pain or that the recovery will be a breeze, but I can say that any bad days that I had then are just a vague memory and when I look in the mirror now or walk around the block with no pain, I am so extremely grateful for my decision.

Good luck on your journey and God Bless!

((HUGS)) Shell

Hi there and welcome.

I had my surgery on August 29th with Dr. Paul Fisher at Richmond. Everyone at Richmond Bariatrics is awesome! I have heard wonderful things about Dr. Baggs as well. In fact I think he assisted with my surgery. Everything went exactly how I expected (I did a lot of reading here on VST and researched the surgery like crazy). There were some rough days with weakness and fatigue at first but my incision pain wasn't bad at all and I don't remember much gas pain either. By the way, you will have no drain tube with Kaiser Richmond Bariatric Surgeons. I have five small incisions which healed so fast it was amazing. I can't promise that you will have no pain or that the recovery will be a breeze, but I can say that any bad days that I had then are just a vague memory and when I look in the mirror now or walk around the block with no pain, I am so extremely grateful for my decision.

Good luck on your journey and God Bless!

((HUGS)) Shell

Shell! Thank you for that!! You made me feel a lot better about meeting with Dr. Baggs on the 28th. Do you feel like there is anything you WISH you would've asked at the initial consultation? I have heard that the process goes very quickly with them! How much weight did you have to lose (10%?) I'd love any info from you! I see you have lost SO MUCH weight!

Have a blessed day!

sarah flagstaffian

I actually lost 45 pounds before surgery on the meal plan. If you follow the meal plan strictly the weight will begin to fall off. By the time I met with Dr. Fisher I had lost a lot already so he set my goal weight just 10 pounds less than I weighed that day (I can't remember exactly). Any way, on the day of surgery I was well under my goal weight, in fact, I had weighed in at 196! I didn't even realize I was under 200 pound already.

I honestly had done so much researching and reading and chatting on VST that I really didn't have many questions for Dr. Fisher. The seminar explained a lot as well. I would suggest that if a question pops in your head go immediately write it down. Make a list and keep it in your binder. Remember that Dr. Baggs is expecting you to be full of questions so try not to be nervous and remember that there is no such thing as a silly or stupid question! This is such a huge decision and should be well informed before moving forward.

Expect to be totally addicted to this forum for the next few months. I logged in every day and read all day long LOL. You can search for discussion threads also. I know there are a lot of posts on questions for your surgeon and what you will need to bring to the hospital, etc.

Keep reading and educate yourself as much as possible. Don't be frightened by stories of pain and rough recoveries. It is better to be informed and prepared than to be shocked by something later.

Take care and keep moving forward, we are all here for you!

Shell

P.S. I started my journey with Kaiser end of May this year and had my surgery August 29th. About 4 months total. Crazy! You just have to want it really bad and work your a$$ off to get to your goal weight and stay there or get down even lower! biggrin.gif

I write my questions down in the note app on my phone as I think of them. When I go to the doctor, I ask my questions in whatever order they are in and write down the answers in the same app. If needed, I email the doc to myself so I can print the instructions he gave me.

I'm sure my doc LOLs when I leave, because I always seem to be asking dumb questions. My last visit, I asked him to look at a lump on my side between where my drain was and the next incision in. After he spent a few minutes palpating the lump, he told me it was a fibroid and that I had lost the padding over it! I felt so dumb, but he was so kind about it that I got over that quickly...then I asked my next "dumb" question. ;)

Truthfully, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask and then spend days or weeks worrying over in your mind. I think a doctor would prefer a well-informed, curious patient over a nervous person who is afraid to ask questions.

Good luck with your journey!! And, may I offer my sympathy for your mother!

I write my questions down in the note app on my phone as I think of them. When I go to the doctor, I ask my questions in whatever order they are in and write down the answers in the same app. If needed, I email the doc to myself so I can print the instructions he gave me.

I'm sure my doc LOLs when I leave, because I always seem to be asking dumb questions. My last visit, I asked him to look at a lump on my side between where my drain was and the next incision in. After he spent a few minutes palpating the lump, he told me it was a fibroid and that I had lost the padding over it! I felt so dumb, but he was so kind about it that I got over that quickly...then I asked my next "dumb" question. wink.png

Truthfully, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask and then spend days or weeks worrying over in your mind. I think a doctor would prefer a well-informed, curious patient over a nervous person who is afraid to ask questions.

Good luck with your journey!! And, may I offer my sympathy for your mother!

Thank you for that, Lissa!