Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm sure this has been asked before, but for some reason I'm having a hard time finding it in the forums...

I know for the first bit of time after the surgery, you're not supposed to drink liquid with meals, but, is this a FOREVER issue? Or, can you eventually have a glass of water/wine/etc with a meal? Some things are too dry or too spicy for me, and I totally depend on that sip of liquid to get me through a meal. Is this something I will have to give up forever?

Also, is the "not drinking with meals" a medical issue, or is it just so that the liquid doesn't take up space in the sleeve where you want your Protein, etc to go?

Thanks for your insight =)

I have read that drinking with meals not only takes up space but pushes everything you are eating through too fast and you are hungry quicker and then eat more calories then you will want hence possible weiht gain or no loss.

I know it is the hardest thing for me. I don't even bring a glass to the table .I find if I eat and don't drink I stay full much longer.

Keep working on it ..It's not easy.

Julie

At home, I don't bring a drink to the table either. If I'm at a restaurant I typically order Water to drink. I rarely sip on anything while I'm eating, though if I am eating spicy food I do take a small sip here & there to put out the fire. :) I have tried to take a drink too soon after eating and it's really uncomfortable, like it almost sits on top of the food in my stomach. It hasn't been that hard to get used to not drinking while eating, you'll be fine!

Yes, this is a forever thing.....as in the rest of your life. You should stop around 10 mins before eating. No drinking during the meal......and no drinking for at least 30-45 mins after eating. This is for two reasons.

1. It takes up valuable room you need for food. It will also likely make you feel sick.

2. If you drink after eating - your pylorus does not close as well and the liquid helps to flush it through your stomach faster. This means you will be hungry sooner. If you want to feel restriction and benefit from it.....follow these rules.

You will have to give up things that are too dry or spicy to be eaten without drinking. Sorry to be blunt...but its the truth.

I agree with dogzz about not drinking with meals. Yes, it is forever. However, there are some other things you can do to compensate. Egg Face (check out her blog if you haven't already seen it) says that the key to eating dry foods is having some kind of dipping sauce for them. She makes tons of different, WLS friendly, dips for her food.

She also is good about using alternatives to breads, Pasta, etc. I loved cucumbers pre-op and Egg Face uses them as crackers. I've tried it and really like a nice juicy cucumber along with a slice of cheese and deli meat.

Many veggies can puree to make a nice dip for a drier cut of meat, and anything dairy will cut the heat of spicy food. I personally can't do much dairy and my sleeve doesn't like spicy food, but it worked for me pre-op. Instead of sour cream, try some yogurt or cottage cheese along with the spicy stuff. It cuts the heat and gives you a little extra Protein.

Unfortunately, we can't drink with meals, but there are alternatives that will help us to get in our Protein without having to give up our favorite foods! :)

I agree with dogzz about not drinking with meals. Yes, it is forever. However, there are some other things you can do to compensate. Egg Face (check out her blog if you haven't already seen it) says that the key to eating dry foods is having some kind of dipping sauce for them. She makes tons of different, WLS friendly, dips for her food.

She also is good about using alternatives to breads, Pasta, etc. I loved cucumbers pre-op and Egg Face uses them as crackers. I've tried it and really like a nice juicy cucumber along with a slice of cheese and deli meat.

Many veggies can puree to make a nice dip for a drier cut of meat, and anything dairy will cut the heat of spicy food. I personally can't do much dairy and my sleeve doesn't like spicy food, but it worked for me pre-op. Instead of sour cream, try some yogurt or cottage cheese along with the spicy stuff. It cuts the heat and gives you a little extra Protein.

Unfortunately, we can't drink with meals, but there are alternatives that will help us to get in our Protein without having to give up our favorite foods! smile.png

Great ideas with the dipping sauce.