Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My First Few Days Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I was first on the list on Monday morning. Unfortunately, i felt queasy even before the surgery! The anesthesologist was awesome, really explained what was going to happen and reassured me alot. The nurses and everyone involved were very kind and helped me overcome my nerves.

Coming out of surgery and in the recovery room, I felt pretty awful. I knew I was supposed to get up and walk alot so in spite of feeling like I would rather just lay down, I got up and took a few steps to the big recliner. That first few hours - I admit I felt much worse then I expected. I had a lot of queasiness, but they gave me drugs and i never vomited. I was also feeling alot of the gas pains, across my chest and shoulder. The nurses were again very reassuring that it was very normal, so I just kept trying to get up and do short little walks. By that evening, I felt so much better, but that proved to be a fairly temporary improvement.

The next day I woke up feeling cruddy again. My blood pressure was kind of high, so they just had me relax for awhile and monitored until it got back in the normal range. I went home that morning as planned after getting a couple of IV bags to make sure i was good and hydrated. When I got home Tuesday morning, it was time for the ab muscle pain to really kick in. I felt scared to take the pain meds because they hurt my stomach, I found out that having a shot of maalox before pain meds really helped.

OMG, I broke down in tears trying to get into bed due to the ab pain. Hubby got me situated in the recliner and i dozed and watched movies with my "support team" and sip sip sipped Water. A fair amount of burping too. It was a production getting me up out of the chair because it hurt so much, but they did throughout the day and I kept walking walking walking until it was time to rest some more. I was so glad I was home at that point though, I felt like I rested alot better there. I got help emptying my drains because I felt yucky and that yucked me out some.

Wednesday I woke up and thought - hey, I am gonna live! Those ab muscles still killed me but my overall spirits were high and i did even more walk walk walk... sip sip sip and watched movies. Funny movies - I had to be careful not to laugh too much! I was allowed to start having Protein Drinks and they tasted so good to me! I drink the Premier Protein which is a fairly thin liquid and yet tastes nice and chocolatey. I added my Multivitamin liquid and that settled in my stomach just fine. No more maalox needed!

Today is Thursday and I can get out of the recliner all by myself - woo hoo!!!! My abs still hurt, but i am feeling stronger. i still have the gas pains, mostly in my shoulder but they are bearable. I am working hard to meet the liquid intake goals, that is kinda hard. I walk around the house alot - doctors orders were to talk naps but to not lay around all the time.

I know everybody's experience is different. I was a revision from a band so my surgery was probably more disruptive to the body then "virgin" sleevers. I have always thought I have a high tolerance for pain, but i also know that I tend to get very queasy and not feel good after anesthesia. In the past I got depressed after surgery, i assumed from the drugs. I honestly didn't expect it to be this hard, but I feel myself improving and I feel very positive and have had no feeling of the blues... after those first few miserable hours..

It helped me read other people's experiences to know that it would get better and they were right. Walk, sip lots of fluids, get plenty of rest.

So appreciate your sharing of your story. It helps me be realistic about what my experience might be like. Thanks so much!

I second that... thank you so much for posting that. Your experience is a realistic view with inspiration. Congrats on being sleeved and I pray for a fast recovery for you!!!

CowgirlJane, thank you so much for posting this, it really helped hearing a kinda play by play. I'm scheduled for surgery March 13th....I hope time flies by the next 2 1/2 months. I'm trying to prepare myself for the pain, I will be happy if I do as well as you. Good luck with your recovery, I hope its speedy and pain free.

TexasGirl73

I forgot to mention that i came out of surgery with a numb hand. It was theorized it was caused by either the IV or perhaps a slight rotation in my shoulder when they laid me out on the operating table. Good news - all that numbness is gone.

Today is Friday, and I feel like I have had a little setback. Honestly, it seems more to my grown son spending the morning here and bringing some emotional stuff to the table that I just couldn't deal with. He has a medical conditionn that he needs to deal with and is angry about it, so it came out in him being hostile and difficult to me. I kept my emotions in check, but I wanted to kick him out. I know that he will be back to normal and fine soon.

I have sleep apnea and my surgeon and pulmonalogist scared the crud out of me to be sure i use my CPAP not just at night, but even when dozing. Well, i feel like the machine is on too high of a setting. I think that is because i am sitting more upright in the recliner. This afternoon I woke up with weird dreams and the feeling that my nasal passages are on fire. The weird dreams are likely from the pain meds, but i called the pulmonlogist about my hurting nasal cavity. They suggested turning up the temperature in the humidifyer, but cant consider turning down the lowest pressure setting without my coming down with the machine so they can read the results. Well, I can't drive yet since i am still taking pain meds so i guess I am stuck with it. I hope turning up the humidifyer helps - I have used this machine for over a year with no problems.

Anyway, the amount in my drains is decreasing a bit, so hopefully all signs are good about my recovery. I am not sure why I am getting so hungry though..... and yes i take a PPI every morning. I have followed all the instructions, including eating ones perfectly. DH left out some trail mix and I ALMOST grabbed a few bits, without thinking. I think the idea of chewing solid food is calling out to me! It is okay, a little deprivation is worth it!

I always have a good sense of smell but i know it is heightened. As various family members made Breakfast this morning, I could smell each ingredient, including cold cereal!

I have a follow up with my surgeon next week and will hopefully find out if he thinks i am doing well. I feel very encouraged, no big worries, just still needing the pain meds and a bit low energy - but overall - feel like I am on the road to recovery.

Pre surgery, I was so incredibly nervous and scared, and now a few days on the other side, I can say... yes, this is rough, but very do-able even if you are wimpy about medical things like i am.