Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mastoplexy - Consult Appt Next Week

This lady was one of 3 recommended by my PCP. I looked at all of them and settled on the one that seemed to have the most experience dealing with WLS patients. I looked at her gallery of photos and for the most part I thought they were ok.

It's hard to know when the ones that don't look as good what the reasons were. When I was at my heaviest weight, I was a size DD. After doing some reading, it appears that depending on whether your breasts are made up more of fatty or fiberous tissues depends on how they will turn out.

I really don't think I want anything added. They just look like flat tires right now, I mean serious BIG flat tires. They have gone down to probably a "D" size, but am not running out to buy bras.

Just curious for anyone who has had a breast lift if you have any words of wisdom, questions to make sure to ask. I've already been documenting w/my PCP skin rashes and such. And, since I still have about 45# I want to loose, she may suggest waiting which is ok, cuz I may need more time documenting rashes if I'm going to get the ins. to pay for this. I took down the CPT codes someone else posted. Boy, wouldn't that be cool to get them to pay for that.

Thanks for any thoughts/ suggestions!!

start mentioning back issues too. it helps if they are weighing you down a little... :)

Thank you, but then wouldn't the surgeon try to push me for a breast reduction? I'm hoping to just get them brought up and get some bounce back. :-)

start mentioning back issues too. it helps if they are weighing you down a little... smile.png

No they wont....its just a matter of paperwork to get the approval. you can even pay extra to them for anything else that you want done at the time, so you wont have to pay for 2 surgerys. my friend got an eye lift approved through her surgery and she wanted a face lift too, so they just charged her for the actual procedure of the facelift and she didnt have to pay extra for the surgical procedure or anestisia (i dont know how to spell it lol) or the time in the facility.

Good to know!!! Really, I need the arms, tummy and legs which there was a CPT code for the tummy (w/out the muscle tightening) and one for maybe the legs too- have to go check that again. I will ask about that too. And, yes, good point about doing the surgery all at once if possible. I'm ok with my face I think, will see what the surgeon says and report back here next week.

Again, thank you!

No they wont....its just a matter of paperwork to get the approval. you can even pay extra to them for anything else that you want done at the time, so you wont have to pay for 2 surgerys. my friend got an eye lift approved through her surgery and she wanted a face lift too, so they just charged her for the actual procedure of the facelift and she didnt have to pay extra for the surgical procedure or anestisia (i dont know how to spell it lol) or the time in the facility.

Good to know!!! Really, I need the arms, tummy and legs which there was a CPT code for the tummy (w/out the muscle tightening) and one for maybe the legs too- have to go check that again. I will ask about that too. And, yes, good point about doing the surgery all at once if possible. I'm ok with my face I think, will see what the surgeon says and report back here next week.

Again, thank you!

sounds good. yes please keep me posted on what he says, and how much it will all cost. I know I am going to get a Tummy Tuck when I get to goal, but my legs and arms have been fairing pretty well so I dont think I will need them done. I have the mommy's tummy though so I know that will never recover. I could fit into a size 12 if it werent for my horrible pouch of a tummy. my legs and butt are so small, just the big old pouch in the front that is keeping me in a 14 right now.

Ok, so I just got back from my first consult w/a plastics surgeon. I'm sort of on the fence whether I like her or not. I understand that all surgeries carry a risk, results not guaranteed, blah blah blah.... I just couldn't really get a sense of confidence from her that I would be happy with the results. All she really could say with confidence is that I would look better than I do now.

They did take pictures (ugh!!), but I know that's important for documentation purposes. I don't have some preconceived notion that I will look like Barbie or some silly thing. But, I want my "ta ta's" to be taunt. I'm ok with waiting until I get to my goal and my weight has stabilized- that's fine. I know that will lead to better long lasting results. I just can't help but feel like the surgeon should have more confidence in the outcome and be able to tell me they will or won't be able to "stand to attention" instead of like the flat tires they are now.

I do plan to visit at least one more plastic surgeon just for another opinion- had planned to do that anyways. But, just want to know if I have the right expectations going into this. Oh, and she quoted me just a tad above $7,000 for the breast lift (no implants). I'm not really wanting implants, I fear leaks or other things down the road. She told me I would be looking at having another surgery in 10 to 15 yrs to redo them just because of the body's changes that go on as we age. That's enough for me not to do implants.

Am I being unreasonable?

I am an OR nurse and have done a lot of plastics. Depending on your age, yes, the lift is not a permanant fix. The implants would not be a bad idea, since unlike most you have enough of your own breast tissue that they would look really good and it would be forever. Problems with leaks are really at a very low percentage as they have improved them a whole lot over the years. What I would really be surprised about is that insurance will cover any weight loss cosmetic surgery. From what I know you really have to have medical issues, like constant skin break downs, back problems, etc. Will be anxious to see if you are successful in getting any of these covered, good luck. Keep in mind also if this is the same insurance that covered your sleeve then they are aware that you may just be seeking cosmetic surgery..good luck

I am 40. The surgeon told me the implants are not forever and I have seen research that seems to back this up. That the implants will have to be replaced likely within 10 (maybe 15 yrs). I'm not interested in that. She said if you don't do that, the implants can become hardened and make it difficult or impossible to detect breast cancer and possibly create other health issues. That's assuming the implant doesn't rupture or leak and while technology has improved, it is still taking on a known chance it could happen.

Yes, my insurance will be well aware of my VSG- but so would any other insurance company. There is a file just like your driving record that ALL insurance companies have access to on this type of information. I used to work for Quest Diagnostics and there isn't hardly anything they can't see with or without your permission. HIPPA does play a part, but there are backdoors that allow insurance companies with much more information than what we might expect. So, as far as approval, really I see it as a bonus that they know really. I am documenting the heck out of all the things that I know will assist in getting approval. It can be done.

I still have about 40# to loose before I do anything at this point. THey also recommend being stabilized in the weight loss for at least 6 mths- so I will just continue to document the issues and deal with the approval process when the time comes.

My question was more back to everyone about my expectations of the surgeon and her general lack of displaying confidence about what I could expect. Like I said, I am not trying to become some Barbie- but if I end up paying $7K on having the girls lifted, I want to know what I can expect and not just a "wait and see" attitude.

I am an OR nurse and have done a lot of plastics. Depending on your age, yes, the lift is not a permanant fix. The implants would not be a bad idea, since unlike most you have enough of your own breast tissue that they would look really good and it would be forever. Problems with leaks are really at a very low percentage as they have improved them a whole lot over the years. What I would really be surprised about is that insurance will cover any weight loss cosmetic surgery. From what I know you really have to have medical issues, like constant skin break downs, back problems, etc. Will be anxious to see if you are successful in getting any of these covered, good luck. Keep in mind also if this is the same insurance that covered your sleeve then they are aware that you may just be seeking cosmetic surgery..good luck