Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Don't Know How To Eat For Pre Gastric Sleeve Surgery Diet

I have a 2 week pre op diet and it was very vague as to what I need to eat. High Protein, low carb/fat..I have no idea what to buy. I was told to do protein shakes/replacement meals,,but I could mix things up a bit by adding stuff to them..but I don't know what. I can eat high protein lean meats but how much?? I have no idea. Green leafy veggies,,but I don't know if I can have all veggies and can I eat fruit? I feel so stupid that I didn't ask,,I was so wrapped up in asking about the actual surgery. The nutritionist consult seemed very thorough but now that I'm home, I'm clueless and searching the forums for a grocery list.

Can you e-mail the nutritionist? I wasn't allowed anything but Protein shakes and Clear liquids (I would have killed for lean meat and a salad!!) so I can't really help you much. But you really should be able to call your surgeon or his clinic and ask.

Good luck. Pre-op is no fun. But hang in there-it'll be worth it.

Well I am not sure if this will help but I was told to start a high Protein after I get my surgery date. But it needs to be cleared with your PCP if you have diabetes and kidney disease.

Daily meal plan

Breakfast: Protein Supplement ONLY (choose from List Below)

Lunch: Protein Supplement ONLY (choose from list below)

Mid afternoon Snack: 1 cup sugar free, fat free/low fat yogurt

AND

1 piece of fruit OR one cup melon, OR 3/4 cup berries

OR 15 small grapes

Dinner: 6oz of lean/very lean protein (choose from list below)

2 servings of bread/starch (choose from list below)

1 cup of vegetables (excluding potato, corn, squash

1 cup of salad greens

2tablespoon low fat Salad Dressing

Evening snack: Protein supplement

I will try to attach the full version

This is what email I received for my post op

Please take a laxative (1 adult dosage, 1 time, 3 days before surgery). This will help with the surgical gas and Constipation that comes with surgery.

• You will need to be on a liquid ONLY diet. You may have broth (chicken, beef or vegetable), sugar-free Jell-O, sugar-free ice pops, sugar free juice, Clear Liquids (i.e. Crystal Lite, Diet Snapple, water), coffee or tea with a sugar substitute, and Protein powder mixed with Water. The key to the liquid diet is LOW sugar and LOW carbs. NO SOLIDS of any kind. Please also be sure to begin getting as much exercise as much as possible. Just walking 30 minutes a day 5 - 7 days a week is sufficient. This will aid in your recovery and lesson complication risks. This is the recommended pre-op diet for those with a BMI of 40 or below.

• PLEASE NOTE: A higher BMI will require a longer liquid diet of up to 14 days prior to surgery.

(null)

Capt Derel..That's about what my post op diet looks like but the pre op diet is 2 Meal Replacement shakes and 1 meal consisting of a meat Protein and veggies. I can also have egg, cheese and nuts. My problem is they didn't give me any specifics like what kind of anything or how much. I'm just going to wing it. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I think I was very flustered when I posted because I wanted it all laid out simple so I could make a grocery list and just go get what I need. I think I'm going to have to make an actual menu then go by that then come up with my own reasonable portions.

Here are my specific guidelines. They are good for post-op and give a pretty decent list of what is ok on full liquids, but it doesn't address the quantities of calories or Protein to get PRE-OP -- all the guidelines are for post op so I still have a question as to whether the amounts are this small pre-op. But I hope it helps some.

SleeveGuidelines.pdf

I am being sleeved THIS Friday :)

My pre-op diet consists of HIGH protien LOW carbs... which is really the ultimate diet after surgery when "normal" foods are started. I was told that I need to keep my carbs under 50 carbs a day... which is actually much easier than you'd think.

The pre-op diet (for me) is much like the Atkins diet only HIGH protien is really pushed. If you end up having to do low carb, feel free to message me for some AWESOME low carb reicpes that taste like heaven.

Samples:

Mashed Cauliflower (in place of potatoes)

Home made Blue cheese salad dressing

Wrap ideas (to replace sandwiches)

No-Low carb candy ideas

Anyway.... I wish you MUCH luck in your journey! I am currently so excited that there are no words!

Cheers to a new You in the New Year!! ;)

Thanks everyone! MissE, I would love those recipes..and I do love mashed cauli..yum.

My diet is Protein shakes and clear liquids only also. The nutritionist had no imagination and said to add nothing but Water and Crystal light to the Protein Powder. Go the Theworldaccordingtooeggface.com and check out her Protein shake recipes. Heck, check out the whole blog. She is gastric bypass, but the diet is very similar.

Oh, I was told to start my Vitamin regime (Calcium, multi, B-12)

And I forgot to tell you the best person you need to ask is the wls team who should provided you with examples. Also remember alot of these Weight Loss Doctors/clinics have their own requirement on pre-op diets. My sister had no pre-op diet and my friend was on clear liquid for one week.

So remember to follow what your doctors orders Good Luck

I just got my date