Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions To Ask The Gastric Sleeve Surgeon

I need help compiling a list of questions,,I know I should have them but I've learned so much here,,I don't know what to ask..not that I'm an expert but i can't think. Please help,,I see the surgeon in the morning.

The questions I have on my list (not that these will be your concern) that I didn't ask him at my last visit because it was so early in the process... are:

Can i have my gallbladder removed at the same time? (can any tests be done pre-op to evaluate current gallbladder health prior to surgery?)

How do you close the stomach? Staples only or are there stitches too?

What size will my new stomach be (bougie size)?

Do you ever progress patients to full liquids faster (my nutritionist plan says a week to 10 days of Clear Liquids.)

if you see any other issues (like hiatal hernia) when you go in, will you correct this at the same time?

Since you will be gone after my surgery, what will happen if there are issues, who will do rounds and discharge me? (this is definitely unique to my situation)

is it possible for me to be early in the day?

What kind of drains will be used? will they be left in and if so, when do they get removed after surgery?

Will it be okay for me to be traveling at 3 weeks post surgery?

I've heard I could be in the hospital 1 or 2 nights, what is typical?

oh gosh i just realized my list of questions are morbid as hell.

what happens if you nick an artery or perforate another organ during surgery (thanks to some darn laproscopic site i read that went on about how easy it is for a surgeon to hurt you in these ways)

how do i know if i'm dying of internal bleeding?

do i get any medication or special stockings to prevent blood clots?

do you have proper ICU facilities if i code or go into some kind of anesthesia coma?

those are just a few. i'm sure my answer will be a giant dose of valium.

All are valid questions and going into this sort of thing I don't think there are morbid questions, I really don't. I requested that if something happened to me and my kidneys were a match that my neighbor who is waiting for a kidney gets first dibs LOL.

Here are some questions I asked my surgeon;

What do you use topically for closing the wound? Stitches, glue, staples?

If I am unable to lose enough weight with the sleeve alone, what are my options for revision to other surgeries?

Is someone allowed to stay overnight in the hospital with me? (With my surgeon I had the choice of two hospitals. One I could have someone stay with me, the other I could not.)

How fast will a family member be allowed into recovery with me?

What kind of pain medicine do you prescribe for patients?

Rather than having to have another surgery later, is it better to just remove my gallbladder while you're already in there? (My doctor thought that it was a horrific idea. He believes that something that isn't malfunctioning shouldn't be removed. He also prescribes a pill called Actigail which does something to help your gallbladder from getting stones.)

How long after surgery should I wait to resume taking my prescriptions?

Which/if any prescriptions should I stop taking?

I started out with all of my questions in a notebook, but forgot the notebook at home for my first visit with the surgeon. After that I transferred them all into a file in my cell phone----- because I NEVER forget that! lol My doctor was actually sort of surprised/impressed by that.

Good luck to you! And don't let people make you feel bad about the questions that you have. I too asked my surgeon what happens if you nick my liver....

- If he cannot complete the VSG, do you want anything else?? (bypass, lap band)

- When to stop/start certain medications, do I have to crush??

- has he/she ever encountered any complications during surgery??

- drain, no drain??

- any current medical conditions that you are concerned with, (mine was my blood pressure)

Dont hesitate to ask ANYTHING...its your body!!

Thanks everyone, I got to use a few,,but not all of them as my appt was this morning. My surgeon actually answered almost everything and the nutritionist answered the rest. I had a few questions but mostly concerning personal things about myself.

Yes, I do :)