Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 5 Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery - Things Aren't Getting Any Better

Still can't drink hardly anything but a little Water. Tiny sips go down, sits at the bottom of my esophagus causes pain, lots of burping and gurgling finally sphinster opens a little just enough to let small trickle go into my stomach. Lot's of stomach noise and gas. JP drain still hurts. I hate to empty it and re-apply the suction because it hurts all the way up to my back, like a pain trail where the tube is running across my body inside. Can't sit for long because of pain again where I think the esophageal sphincter is located and the pain radiates to my back. Deep breaths also hurt across diaphram. No fever and puls and blood pressure okay.

I'm 57 and thinking maybe since I'm older it's taking longer to heal and the swelling to go down. I am not getting in a fraction of the liquid I should. Got down 2 tablespoons of Protein thin liquid last night around 2 am. Big mistake lot's of dissagreement and gas even though it took me almost a hour to get it down taking very small sips.

Anyone else experience this? I am debating on calling the doctor this morning.

Thanks for your input.

Don't debate! Call your doctor!!! Sorry for the exclamation points, but you should NOT be in this much pain from your drain or from drinking at this point!!!!!!!!

Please, please, please, CALL YOUR DOCTOR NOW!

I am back like Lissa saying again please call your doctor. You will dehydrate and get worse....CALL. Lissa, Longer-Life and I have all had our sleeves, please call don't wait. Posting here will only get you our experience, we are not physcians but you could cause more issues by waiting.

Did your Dr prescribe any pain medication? It is odd for the drain to hurt that much, but everyone expericences pain a little differently. If your Dr gave you some try a couple doses on schedule and if your pain isn't controlled by then, then I'd call too.

Okay, I'm calling the doctor.

I can't take a full dose of the liquid pain meds, it's too much to drink and it burns like crazy and sits in the bottom of my esophagus waiting to be let into my stomach. I have to mix it with Water or a tablespoon of sports drink to help dilute it and that helps some. It takes me 30 minutes just to sip it down. I have to wait a few minutes between sips.

Sorry Doc to call you on a Sunday, but I guess that's why he makes the big bucks!

Please let us know how it goes, we want you to be well and successful in your journey.

Hugs

Sandy

Let us know please! :)

How did the call go with your doctor?

My doctor was not on call so another doctor called me who couldn't be any less interested in what I had to say. I imagine he asked the most important questions. Do I have a fever or difficulty breathing which I don't have either. My blood pressure is good and so is my heart rate. I have a cuff here since my elderly mother lives with me and we keep an eye on hers. I told him I was probably getting less than 8 oz of liquid a day since I got out of hospital and was having difficulty swallowing. Bottom line he said if I felt I could benefit to go to the ER and get a couple IV's of fluids and call my doctor in the morning. Thanks, but no thanks.

I'll just call my doctor in the morning and see if I can come in a day early and get this darn drain out and have him give me a go over and decided what we need to do if anything. If I start to have dehydration symptoms I'll go to ER and get some fluids. So far I don't think I have bad dehydration symptoms as I am reading about it on the internet.

I have acid reflux and have only had sips of Mylanta since I'm having a hard time swallowing and I"m sure that's adding to my problem. I can't take my regular Nexium for a couple more weeks. My daughter went and got me some Gas X strips and it has helped the air/gas in my esophagus some. I sipped 2 tbsp of Protein drink and that didn't sit well. I'm currently sipping on some pain meds mixed with juice but only 1/2 dose since the pain meds burn my esophagus and I can't take them straight.

One thing I got to thinking about is I use a CPAP and I wonder if the air it blows, blows into my esophagus causing me extra air/gas in there contributing to my problem. Any thoughts on that?

If you've been drinking less that 8oz a day for the past 5 days, you are dehydrated. Take advantage of the ER. They can give you fluids, some IV pain meds to carry you through the night and send you home. Then you can call your Dr in the AM and have him properly assess you. No point suffering if you don't have too... and the CPAP question would be a great one to ask RT while you're getting your fluids :)

My surgery was 5 days ago on Dec 7th at 7:30 am, I didn't get off IV fluids until Thrusday around 4pm when they discharged me. So really I've had the benefit of some of the IV fluids. It's been all day Friday and Saturday and so far today that I haven't had 8 oz of fluids per day. I will go to the ER if I start feeling like I should but right now I just want to go take a nap since I took some pain meds.

Thanks for all your care and support. I love this forum it's been a great help to me. I'll post if interested what happens with my doctor tomorrow or if I end up getting fluids at the ER.

Dogma, I'm not as worried about the dehydration as I am about the fact that you can't swallow well and that your drain is bothering you so much. I was actually told NOT to strip my drain when I emptied it. I also had my drain in for 8 days and the ONLY place I could feel it was at the opening, and I think that was because there was a stitch to hold it in place.

I'm very concerned that maybe you are either beginning an infection or having a negative reaction to the tubing that composes the drain hose. Both of those could end up having severe consequences, including the need for another surgery and/or result in the doctors placing you NPO and installing a feeding tube.

MeMeMee had a leak in her tummy and has posted numerous times about her complications. She's now on a feeding tube for all of her nutrition and Water. She posted and begged others NOT to ignore the symptoms their body is throwing out there... and I think you should really be seen by a doctor.

I know that the on-call doctor wasn't very helpful, but I really wish you'd take that trip to the ER. Who knows, maybe they'll even take your drain tube out today and tell you that you're fine.

Just an FYI for those who are interested. I PM'd 5DogMa today and she says she is in the hospital for dehydration and won't get out until she can drink enough to stay hydrated on her own.

I wish her luck and hope she's all better soon!!