Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning The Gastric Sleeve Surgery Process

I just recently had my consult with the surgeon, Psychologist and nutritionist. Now I must have a series of test performed, in order to submit to insurance company. How long am I looking at before the surgery actually happens. I am very anxious to get it done.

It really depends on you and the clearence need. I started my journey on October 2010 and finally got everyone on board and had to redo some steps over again because the insurance company has a dead line date. On December 2, 2011 I had my second visit with surgeon and sign my consent now waiting for my surgery date. I was told it is going to be another 4 weeks.

I just recently had my consult with the surgeon, Psychologist and nutritionist. Now I must have a series of test performed, in order to submit to insurance company. How long am I looking at before the surgery actually happens. I am very anxious to get it done.

Hi,

I have never had to deal with insurance. I was a self pay. But, what I see on here and read about. It can take any where from 1 to 2 years. Sometime they deny you, and you have start all over. The longer they drag their feet the longer they have your money invested and are making money off of you not getting this done.

I am so happy to see that the Insurance Companies are starting to see that it really does save them money by you having Weight Loss Surgery. So maybe it won't take you that long.

I wish you great success on your journey.

Suzanne

Took me 9 moths to get the op, from the universal health care system we have here. It takes time, yes, but I can advise you to make good use of the waiting period by trying to adjust a little to a healthier lifestyle.

This is my 2nd time around. I was denied three years ago. I started the process again in early October. I barelled through my tests / consults by Nov. 3. Insurance was sent info for approval immediately. They took just under 5 weeks to issue a formal approval letter. That was, by far, the hardest part of the process. Keep your chin up - and be patient. I was told by an insurance rep that they can take up to 30 business days to make the decision. Good luck to you! Keep focused!

Oops! I forgot to mention .... Surgery is scheduled for January 5th! They were able to get me in rather quickly once all the papers were received. I hope you hear something soon! : )

It took me about 7 months. I attended a public seminar, watched 2 videos, met with the surgeon, went to a public nutritional and behavorial seminar, went to support meetings, met one-on-one with the nutritionist and social worker, had a chest xray, had an abdominal ultrasound, had an endoscopy, had a stress test, had extensive blood tests, got approved by insurance, had sugery scheduled, had pre-op blood tests, had a pre-op class and met with the surgeon pre-op. Because of my drinking, I had to quit alcohol and go to AA meetings twice a week. I had to get a form signed at each meeting which had to be faxed in to the social worker. This set me back about 2 months. Because alcohol is so toxic to the stomach and detrimental to weight loss, I had to prove sobriety before I could move on. It was very difficult. I had to finish each step to schedule the next one. I kept on top of things and this was the fastest I could go. I possibly could have been ready in 5 months if I was sober already.

Well CONGRATS on getting SOBER!!!nanahump.gifnot_ripe.gifpurplebananna.gifsmilingface (52).gif That in itself is an AMAZING accomplishment!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can do that then this will be a breeze! Both my parents are in recovery and ive watched them struggle for years so i know it is hard work!!! Good luck on your surgery!!!