Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cold.... Like Freezing Cold - Had Gastric Sleeve Surgery 3.5 Days Ago

Hello all. So I have been sleeved for about 3.5 days now. At times the pain has been really bad, but I find that it is now nothing I can't handle. I'm going to try and not take the narc pain killers today and see how I do with just Tylenol.

Todays question is, when will I get warm? In the hospital I received a Heperin shot every 8 hours and I know that has a lot to do with why I am so cold. Last night I slept with the heating pad on down at my feet just to keep me feet warm because socks just feel like they are holding in the cold. I don't really have a lot of warm winter style clothing because a) I was always hot and B) I didn't/don't want to spend money on big clothes right now. So far I am just hanging out at home so I can stay in my bathrobe and flannels, but I have to go out today and I'm dreading it!

Soo0o0o0o0o0o. My question is, how did you stay warm? Does it get better? Is it really the blood thinners or am I doomed?

I am on Day 10 and well at times now I still get freezing cold. I just had my boyfriend buy me an electric blanket and I sleep with it every night, plus I have another on hand when I get cold around the house lol. I am just telling myself to get used to it because as we lose weight we will start feeling cold more often too. It has gotten better since I have gotten out of the hospital and the first couple days at home tho, jsyk. One night I ended up being up all night because I couldnt get warm enough, I was literally freezing and I tried everything and nothing worked. It gets somewhat better, at least in my case it has.

I am 9+ months past surgery, and I am going through my first winter as a smaller person. I am cold all the time. I went to my local Wal Mart and bought a set of Black thermal underwear by fruit of the Loom. It looks more like a lightweight longsleeved fittled t shirt and leggings than a traditional set of long johns. They were inexpensive. I'm going to get another set, hopefully in white. I have also been wearing camisoles (either Shapewear or regular) or fitted tanks under my shirts if I'm not wearing the long john top. The extra layers help me keep warm.

I am only a little over 3 months out and I am cold all the time! Before surgery and when I was this weight before in my early 20's I was hot all the time so I really don't get why I am now cold all the time. My hands and feet are always like ice. And I am on no blood thinners what so ever. My latest labs were great so no Vitamin defficiencies. I'm guessing maybe it's hormonal.... no clue. Wouldn't change it for the world tho. I feel better than I have in years.

This topic has been around the block a few times and there is no real consensus or absolute reason for the chill - especially immediately after surgery. I too woke up from surgery cold and over one year later am still cold.

These have been mentioned:

1. Less ghrelin as a large portion of the stomach where it's produced is cut away.
  2. Increased fat burning as the caloric intake is way down, the body is trying to conserve the fat resources it has so diligently squirreled away for years.
  3. Metabolic drop - paired with above, the body is trying to keep from burning fat.
  4. Severing of the vegus nerve? The vegus nerve runs down through the thoracic cavity to all the major organs and terminates in the stomach. Hyper hydrosis (excessive sweating) is "cured" by cutting this nerve but the nerve is severed MUCH further up than the stomach. This MIGHT be a factor though as it would explain the immediate chilling right after surgery
  5. Lack of carbs which burn up rapidly and can improve the bodies thermal efficiency.

These might also play a factor later as fat loss occours

1. Lack of thermal mass - you're smaller and carry less insulation, less mass also produces less heat with physical effort.
  2. Excessive blood flow to the skin - your skin is stretched when you gain weight and more capillaries are formed, the skin and capillaries are NOT readily reabsorbed when fat loss occurs and the skin with the greater number of blood vessels now covers a smaller, more compact body which is producing less heat, the blood vessels are carrying the heat away more effectively. This is a pet theory of mine and may NOT be even true, I've yet to hear from a medical expert on it's possible validity.

Wow, I had know idea there could be this side effect from the surgery. I figured it was all from blood thinners and later on if it happened it would be because of loss of insulation as you said. Thank you all for sharing this information!