Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did I Hurt My New Belly, Pain After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

So I had my sleeve done on November 30th and since being home I have been doing pretty okay. When I feel good I get up and do chores and clean and cok for the family. Well sometime yesterday I must have done something because today I am having this pain where they took the tummy out. It's like a pulled muscle type of pain. It hurts to breathe deeply , stretch, get up or down mostly anything. I did some vacuuming yesterday, but my vacuum is very light, I know I am not supposed to lift anything over 10 pounds. So I just don't know if I should be making a bigger deal of this or not. I told myself I would relax today and take it easy. My theory is maybe I just pushed myself a little too hard too fast and I ned to backtrack a bit. What do you guys think?

BTW I did call the doc and they said if it is the same pain tomorrow I need to call back then, if it gets any worse go to ER. I just want everyones opinoin that's all.

Rest assured, this is completely normal. My surgery was in September and I experienced the same burning pain at the same site. I was sure that something was wrong but my Dr. assured me it was normal. Alternating heat & ice really seemed to help as did adult strength liquid tylenol. At about week 4 that stitch finally dissolved and the pain (as well as the dent in my side) finally disappeared. It's rough but completely normal. If you do too much it will definitely let you know. The stitch is really deep and that whole area is sore from being clamped open while they did your surgery and removed your stomach. You'll be fine. Hang in there.

I had something similar happen to me. At about 2.5 weeks, I got really active, cleaning house, doing laundry, and getting ready for my planned return to work. Although I didn't lift, I did do a lot of pushing and pulling things around, and something happened. I would have only mild discomfort on the side in the morning, but as the day went along and I moved around more, it became worse. By evening, the "pulled muscle" type pain would be pretty intense. The doctor told me to take one more week off work, and also extended the time before I could lift weights by about 10 days. I took it really easy the last week off, and day by day it did get better.

You've already done the right thing by calling your doctor. Just remember to be gentle with yourself, and take care!

Not sure, hopefully you didn't do any harm and just overdid things a bit. Just try to take it easy, I know it's difficult when there's so much to do. But you gotta give yourself time to heal. Take care and please update of what you end up doing or what the dr says.

I will update when I talk to the doc. When I take it easy the pain does ease up a lot. I was busy tonight too and the pain flared up again. So I am assuming I am just pushing myself too hard is all.

I am so glad that you called your doctor! I am a nurse and I have found that too many people wait too long to ask their doctor. Sometimes, it's just nothing and the person has borrowed a long time of worry for nothing. Anyways, I also had this pain you speak of at about 2.5-3 wks postop.(I'm about 5.5wks postop now) My pain appeared very shortly after my husband and I had...well...relations, if you know what I mean. It felt the same way you describe yours. In about seven hours it was almost gone but then, all of a sudden, it started hurting again. Not sure what triggered it. However, I have found that it's much better now. Over time the frequency of pain flare ups and length of time it was painful has gotten less and less. No matter what, do what your doctor says and don't hesitate to call them again if you have more questions or concerns. That's what they are there for. Take care. Big hugs.

Lisa