Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctors on this site

Hi everybody,

As I was reading some threads I noticed that there are some replies from doctors my qustion is how do we know that these people are really doctors? Does any one check the person's credentials or check to see that they are the doctor that they claim and not impersonating the doctor? Thanks everybody.

I believe they have patients that also post on this board.

Dr. Hekier/Dr. Keilin husband/wife surgeons from Texarkana

Patients Judy Ann, Nanahanna(went to a seminar but elected to have RNY in August)

Dr C - did the fill for GreatDame

Dr. Pleatman http://www.laparoscopy.com/pleatman/AboutDr.htm This is his website.

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6651 This is a thread by some of his patients.

Any others?

It would not be difficult to set up an account and label yourself a doctor.

But there are a lot a healthcare providers on this board. It would not take long if someone were a fake for it to be figured out. Just the way they answer questions and the medical terminology used would give a fake away.

I know I had a question about a biopsy that Dr. Hekier answered with an answer that someone without medical knowledge wouldn't have been able to answer.

M

Great answers above. Otherwise, since these folks aren't really giving 'medical advise' persay, that we should be relying on, I've never felt the need to verify their existence.

I find it quite gracious of them to give of their time and expertise, but you'll also see that they are quick to state you need to rely on YOUR doctor for any real important issues.

I've never checked, but I don't take what anyone on a message board says without a grain of salt. It's a safe practice. The only exception being if I know & trust the person IRL. So - I trust MY surgeon. I'll give a "message board doctor" the same credit I'd give a "message board womever."

My opinion, being a Dr. doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to have the best information for you anyways. It may make it more likely, but regardless, even between Dr.'s there are differing opinions on things. They may have expert experience and education in a certain area, but it doesn't make them infaliable. That's why second opinions even between Dr.'s are often valuable. I trust my surgeon, and value his opinion, and based on the research I've done, and what other Dr.'s say, I feel he's right on the money in terms of being in alignment with my own perspectives and choices around the band - it's why I chose him as a surgeon over someone else. Another surgeon may give totally contrasting advice than his. Whose do I follow? Well, I usually research and research some more, and make a decision as to what I think is best for my own health care, most of the time it's in alignment with my surgeons preferences. I have an MA in counselling psychology, with certification in addiction and drug and alcohol. I did my practicum and focus on women and violence, amoung other specialty areas that have interested me. Does that mean I expect people to feel my advice on these areas is the best to follow? Hell no! I have opinions, and they are based on my own studies and experience, but there are professionals in the same field as me that will have very different opinions than me on the same issues. When topics come up in forums that are related to my education and experience, I usually get involved with them because obviously it's an area I'm interested in and passionate about, that said, I wouldn't expect that people would use it as professional/medical advice. I can't do that over a forum, I don't expect my opinions or ideas to carry more or less weight than anyone elses. I have met not so wise Dr.'s whose opinions I haven't respected, and I've met some very intelligent very wise people who didn't graduate high school whose opinions I respect deeply. Take credentials with a grain of salt, and rather than take the advice of one educated individual, educate yourself - the research and information is out there and accessable to anyone willing to look for it. It's no longer just in medical libraries, the internet is a great tool if you use it well. Just my 2 cents.

XO

Leila

Thanks for everyone's replies. I know that we shouldn't take medical advice from any one that claims that they are a doctor online ...I just wanted to see if it was legit like webmd.