Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Herniated Disk

My mom just learned that she has 2 of these things -- very painful!

She is a diabetic, has HPB and is MO - so the *thought* of back surgery has her in complete freak-out mode!

Her Chiro also commented that one of the bulging disk is affecting the nerves that control bladder and bowel functions.

*big sigh*

With so many health conditions to deal with, I was wondering if anyone had worst case/great outcome stories that I can console her with?

I have a brother who's had his back operated on, his neck operated on. I suppose he's SOME better, but all in all, I think he wonders if the surgeries were worth it. There are many exercises that help as well. Both my brother's deal with epidural cortisone injections and they seem to have helped as much as anything. I understand how hard it is to watch someone you love suffer. :) Big hugs to mom and 'daughter'...

My sister had (what the doctor thought) was two herniated disks - when he got in there he found a third one!!! She had surgery after a horrible week in the hospital on drugs to get the inflammation down - and is fantastic today - so good that she was able to exercise 6 days a week and lose over 100 lbs! by eating healthy on Weight Watchers

--- so yes surgery CAN be a good thing - esp in your mom's case with it affecting bladder, etc.....I have NOT ever had surgery on my herniated disks and now that 6 have herniated and deteriorated I WISH I had surgery long ago - maybe I would be in better shape now

Like the lapband - make sure you get a 2nd and 3rd opinion and that the surgeon has done LOTS of herniated disks -- my vote is that she has it done -- but that's just my opinion

Paula ~ I understand your concern. Last year my mother was also diagnosed with 3 herniated disks. She was in a serious car accident several years ago and was care flighted from the scene to a trauma center. I think this is where your problems started and it didn't show up until much later. Either way, my mom also has neuropathy in her feet and I keep telling her it could all be related.....she doesn't believe me. She REFUSES to have back surgery b/c her neighbor had it and is now in more pain than ever. Her chosen method of treatment is pain killers. I also can't get her to go to a chiropractor. :phanvan I used to go to an excellent, christian chiropractor in her area an I really wish she would do one or the other. Some days are worse than others.

Oh, my mom has also had HBP for years (since I can remember), a diabetic (she refuses to admit it), and is MO, she denies that too sometimes. Of course, I love her with all that is within me. I just wished she would do what I tell her. HA!! They say you are an adult once and a child twice. I tell her that and she smiles at me.

Whew...that was a lot of talking....sorry. Please let me know what your mom decides to do and maybe that will have an impact on my mom. Keep us posted!!!

I have had neck and back surgeries and I still have 2 more herniated,L5&6, and I was just banded 2 weeks ago today. The only concern they had is all of the metal in my neck and wondering if they could inibate with not much neck movement but I was fine. The pain is horrid but at least I have a doctor who doesn't mind prescribing the pain meds I need, some doctors think you're going to sell them or something and won't prescribe them.

My prayers are with her because I know what she's going through.

Good luck and God Bless,

Crystal, Leatha, Mo, Michelle & Sherry, thanks for all the responses. Big ((hugs)) to you!

She's worried about having back surgery (or any surgery) with so many other health conditions (diabetes, HBP and MO).

I cant incourage OR discourage her either way, just wish there was another choice for her to choose from. :)

What about the different exercises some of you mentioned? I know walking is the BEST - and there are different things she can do in the pool Water that would help, but, getting her to do anything is a major accomplishment. She takes 7 different meds a day! 3/HBP, 3/Diabeties & 1 for high choles. I get so upset with her for not exercising, but these meds drain her energy level.

And what happens if she decides to do nothing?

Mo? youve had 6 of these things and NO sugery? my goodness.

Thank again for responding, y'all!

If Mom decides to do nothing - she'll have more pain in the long run (my opinion) than pain for a short time after surgery -- but that said - not all surgeries remedy everything and some people DO still have pain every day....sigh....it's not an easy situation that's for sure

'maybe' if she DOES have the surgery she can move around better after she heals -- and then she might even start feeling better and blood pressure and diabetes, etc will improve and meds can be toned down a little bit - and then she will be able to exercise more (walk without pain)-- maybe talking about this aspect of it will encourage her if she decides to have surgery :tea:

Oy vey, what a pickle you are in Paula! It's so hard to advise you mother either way. I have no experience with back trouble, but just wanted to send a HUG. :tea:

my husband had 3 in his neck, had 3 surgeries to fix them, still in pain, he also has 2 in his back and refuses surgery for fear of the bacxk surgery failing like his 3 neck surgeries have. He had 3 different surgeons also , he lives on pain meds and the pain patch..he is addicted to pain meds. NOT GOOD!

Hello,

I suffer with herniated disks myself, and with chiropractic help, they do go away naturally. It takes several appointments a week to realign the spine so that the disk is enabled to heal. Lots of ice, and sleeping with a pillow between my legs really helped...they sometimes recur, but my advice is to have her stick with natural healing. I am hoping getting the weight off is going to be the solution.

Just my 2 cents,

Diane in Chicago