Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fmla For Hubby To Take Care Of Me 1st Week Post Op? Will A Doc Sign?

I would like to have my husband stay home with me the first week or so post surgery, we have 4 kids, 2 of whom are small (4 and 2) and I'll need his help for me and for them I think at least that first week. His workplace says he has to fill out FMLA paperwork for that purpose. Do you think my doctor will sign off on something for him? Does anyone have experience with something like this? I am wondering if they are going to think I'm crazy for requesting that :) :)

My husband did not take off and stay with me, but my Mom lives next door and she was there if I needed her, which I didn't but my children are grown. I was very tired the first week I was home and looking back (3 weeks for me now), there is no way I would have been able to take care of small children. It was all I could do to sip Water and heat a can of Soup. I'm sure your doctor will sign the FMLA paperwork for your husband, after all your doctor only wants (or should) you to get healthy/healed and having your husband home should help you with that. My doctor told me I couldn't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk until my 3 week follow-up. All doctors are different and have different rules/guidelines that they want you to follow, but I would think having your husband at home would be a benefit.

Hope this helps.

My doctor's office has a sign near the check-in window about FMLA paperwork, so I imagine they would sign it.

My wife stayed home on FMLA for my surgery and post-op time; she milked it for more than I needed the help (in part from her memory of having a harder time with her WLS a few years ago), but it was therapeutic for her to be away from work for a while longer!

Cool Rick, thanks for sharing your experience. Was hoping to hear doc would sign off on something like that. Thanks all!

My surgeon required that we have some one to take care of our kids after surgery. We even had to sign a document saying that we had someone to care for them. I am sure your doctor will be willing to help.

The FMLA Certification form is just to prove that you, his spouse, has a serious medical condition (surgery). That is all the surgeon is signing off on so it shouldn't be a problem.

Your husband then completes the employee portion explaining what he plans on doing to take care of you. Tell him to use general statements. If you need more information or his company denies your hubbies' FMLA request, then hit me up.

as long as the paper work is done correct and filed in the time it is supposed to be done in there should be no problem. My husband is worried about me being home alone for some strange reason so he is going to take a week off after the surgery. A lot of times jobs just make you jump through hoops and tons of red tape before getting anything done.