Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Esophageal Manometry?

I just called to follow up with the surgeon's office to see if the blood work I recently had done had been received and if my info was ready to go for approval to insurance. I was asked what procedure I was planning and said sleeve (which has been my plan all along although I've never totally ruled out GB) and she said I still need to have an Esophageal manometry and that they'd start the process of referring me for that. WHAT??? This is totally new and I've never heard of it before!

I looked it up online and it's another tube down the throat... has anyone had this? Will they put me out like for the endoscopy?

She said they'd get the referral out by tomorrow and she said I was still on track to have surgery in early January - even that she'd schedule a date once I had this done. Now I wish I'd followed up last week! Just when you think things should be ready to go!

I was going through a different hospital and they did one on me. I was awake but they use a numbing agent. For various reasons, I switched to a different clinic,,I now have to have an EGD.lol Go figure,,there is apparently an issue with swallowing. I suffer from Myasthenia Gravis so guess that is the reason for the precautions for me. It's also a move they make if you have Gerd, reflux, barret's esophagus, etc.

Thanks so much for your reply! Do you happen to remember how much the whole procedure cost, if I might ask? I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to do this in 2011 or if I should wait until 2012. My cost of the endoscopy procedure was pretty close to $250 (I pay 20% after insurance "savings") between the facility, Dr. & lab fees. This sounds sort-of similar so I'm imagining the costs to be close.

I've been so set to have surgery first thing in 2012. I know I'll hit my insurance out of pocket max in 2012 with the surgery, so the financially smart thing for me to do would be to wait and do the manometry in early 2012 and do the surgery as soon as I can after that - probably a month later. I just don't want to wait for surgery!

This is something the surgeon's group requires for all lap-band and VS patients and I can see the importance given the fact that they can't change things once the bulk of the stomach is removed!

I never rec'd a bill, I have a secondary insurance so it was paid in full. It's similar to an Endo but I think the endo is a little more invasive because you are usually put under so the cost of anesthesia might differ..maybe less. Call the facility that will be performing the procedure and ask them how much it costs then call your insurance company and ask them how much you will be paying out of pocket. Hospitals set their own prices for different procedures so what I might pay may be different than what you would. I will say this much, if it helps, it's a pretty simple procedure. I got a local anesthetic along with the numbing spray. They put a skinny tube down your throat. You are hooked to a machine and they will have you swallow as they slowly remove the tube bit by bit as you swallow. Each time you swallow the pressure is measured inside your esophagus and this will tell them if you have any kind of swallowing issues, reflux, etc.. It's painless. Good luck,,I know it's a bummer having to have all the tests but your doctor wants to give you the best care and take every precaution which is a good thing :)

Hi All,

I just talked to the nurse (I think) and she said this is just standard for their group. I asked if there were any medical indicators specific to me telling them this was necessary and she wasn't sure if the conditions they're looking for have medical indicators or not.

They've made the referral so now I'll wait to hear from the hospital or maybe I'll call their billing unit to see if I can get some info on cost.

They did tell me even if I have to wait to do this procedure until early January, I could still be up for surgery in January. A few week delay shouldn't be the end of the world!

Thanks all!