Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question About Treadmill Walking

Immediately after surgery I started walking around my building, first the little section, then the bigger section, then I graduated to walking around the lake in my complex (maybe 1/4 mile), and now I'm walking on the treadmill at least 3 times a week.

When I first started, it was a real struggle to do half a mile, so I'd do half a mile on there, then ride the recumbent bike for the rest of the 30 minutes that I have dedicated to this process. Slowly, over about 3 weeks, I've upped the mileage to 1 mile at a very low speed, about 2.3 mph, on average.

Today, I walked my mile, then just kept going. At about 1.3 miles, I noticed that I was no longer sore and I could have continued walking with no problem.

My question, then, is this: Should I add more distance to my walking NOW, or should I keep doing the 1.3 miles for a week or so, then add another quarter mile or half mile to the workout? I'm worried that I'm not working hard enough to get "in the zone", or that I'm quitting right before I actually get to the point where the workouts are doing the most good.

Don't know if it's relevant, but I am sweating by the time I hit half a mile, but I'm not drenched by any means. I don't want to add speed yet because I have to keep my heartrate below 130 (per my doc) and I'm staying pretty steady at about 125-130 at the speed I'm walking.

My goal is to be able to walk a 5k at the end of January, if that information changes the rate at which I should be adding distance or speed. Oh, and lastly, should I be doing more time on the bike along with/instead of the treadmill? I'm not coordinated enough to do the elliptical yet, but I am doing some weight-lifting for toning right now.

Mr surgeon encourages exercise. I actually started doing moderate, then intense elliptical running at 10 days out. I'm now 3 weeks out and doing about 45 minutes (3-4 miles for me) 5 days a week. This is on the more intense side, but I was a runner even at my heaviest weight and I'm fairly young (28).

I think our bodies know better than anyone could. Though there are guidelines given to us by surgeons, I think your body will tell you when things are enough or if you're willing to keep going. I'm of the opinion that cardio is one of the things that truly keeps you young and healthy, and to me it sounds like you can only benefit from the level of exercise you are doing. I don't personally see how your stomach healing could be hurt by what you are doing- of course it's always good to confirm that with your surgeon. The sooner you adopt healthy habits and enjoy exercise, I think the better time you'll have recovering and being successful.

Once you hit the place that you no longer tire during walking adding more is just burning more calories, so my suggestion is to just keep going. If anything, set a TIME limit for yourself and walk the amount you can in that time.

At first I swam X number of laps and got to the point where I could maintain a constant pace so I actually dropped the amount of time I was swimming from 90 minutes (mixed strokes with frequent rests) to 60 minutes of swimming a constant freestyle stroke (front crawl) and get in 110 laps. Net burnt calories is UP because the pace is higher and constant vs a lower pace with frequent rests.

More calories burned and NOT replaced equals more weight loss and more potential muscle built and or retained.

Myself ... I wouldn't worry about the calories your burning. With the sleeve, you are in a deficit and that is what matters. Yes, burning more calories is going to make you lose weight quicker, but is this a race? If it takes one more month to reach a goal, is there some victory there?

I believe the most important thing about the excercise is getting fit. Improving your endurance and the other benefits that come from working out. You have to admit you feel pretty good working out. And now that you have reached that point where you feel good during the workout ... it is even better. Since you are under Drs care regarding your heartrate, you need to consult them as far as what your next step is. It may be to carry handweights or put ankle weights on. Perhaps it is time for the elliptical. The best way to increase your fitness would be to increase your heartrate, but that may not be an option for you. Talk to your Dr.

Thank you all for your replies! I actually ran track in high school and I remember getting that endorphin high from it. :)

Rootman, Thank you for the example with your swimming workouts. You did what I'm trying to do, build up my endurance because I know I'll lose the weight, but I want to be healthier when I get there.

Pdx, You actually stated my philosophy on this exactly! I didn't have surgery just to look better. I actually had a doctor give me the "How quick do you want to meet your maker?" speech. He told me I wouldn't live another year if I didn't get the weight off, and the weight is coming off. However, I know that just losing the weight isnt going to protect me from having bad health issues all by itself.

With the 60 pounds I've lost in 3 months, I don't have a good sense of balance yet. I did try the elliptical the other night, but I couldn't balance myself well enough to get on yet. I will try it again in a few weeks and see if that's any better. That's also the reason I'm not attempting to run on the treadmill yet. I can see me flying off the back and falling on the floor! LOL

I think I will just start adding more time to my walking for now, maybe 5 minutes more each time until I build up to walking the full 3 miles (that's a 5k, right?). Once I'm at that, then I can work on increasing speed. I'm pretty happy with the results I've had so far, but wanted to make sure I'm doing this right. I'd really like to do the C25K thing, but know I need to lose more weight before I attempt that.

Thanks again! :)

I'm running in my first 5K this weekend. I've been working hard and know however it comes out, it is something I never could have done before. There are many C2K programs out there and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Pdx, Thank you for the encouragement! I'm looking forward to that 5k, even if I am walking. I hope you manage to run yours. I'll be envious, but I will do it at some point. :)

I figure that I'll be starting a C25K program in about 40 pounds from now. That means I'll be heading into that training program in Feb or March, if my weight loss continues at the current pace. Right now, I'm just going to concentrate on distance and then I'll worry about the speed. :)

Thank you all again for your input!!

I know you're not starting this just yet, but I wanted to share the link to the C25K program I used. Good luck!! It's sooo possible. :)

http://www.fromcouchto5k.com/articles/training/the-couch-to-5k-training-plan/

Diva, I've told you this before. You are an inspiration to me. Thanks for the link. I will be checking it out when I get closer to ready to start the C25K. I know I'll get there soon.

I'm still going to walk that 5k in January, even if I can't run! :)

:) Get it!! I hope you'll share your first 5K event with us - run or walk, doesn't matter. What matters most is JUST DOING IT. :cheers2: