Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone

I was reading in “Budget Travel” magazine a very interesting article written by Fran Golden. I thought some of this might help some of you who are sitting out there reading these posts trying to make up your mind about having WLS and how safe is it to go outside of the USA.batlashes.gif

1.6 Million –The estimated number of Americans expected to travel abroad in 2012 for medical procedures. Now these are NOT all WLS. They include Heart Bypass, WLS, and Cosmetic, Dental, Orthopedic, and Cardiology procedures.applause.gif

This is what Fran Golden says “If you wouldn’t drink the Water in some foreign countries why would you consider going overseas or to Mexico for a risky procedure—with a doctor you’ve never even met?” I know that is what so many of you are thinking because I thought the very same thing. Here is her answer, and I learned a lot from this article.confused.gif

“First of all, we’re not talking backroom surgery here. More than 400 health-care organizations in 47 countries are accredited by the international division of the joint Commission, the same nonprofit that accredits U.S. health-care facilities. In addition many top American programs have aligned with international clinics: Harvard Medical School Dubai Center is a prime example. In general it isn’t all that hard to find a doctor overseas or Mexico who follows U.S. standards and if you’d prefer who was trained at a medical school in the U.S.” Check out MTA Medical Tourism Association: www.medicaltourismassociation.comHere are some examples of the cost of surgery in the US vs. Overseas and Mexicocool2.gif

LASIK Eye Surgery US both eyes $4,400 Outside of the US $500 both eyes

Heart Bypass Surgery US $144,000 Outside the of US $5,200

Hip replacement Surgery US $50,000 outside the US $7,000

Knee replacement Surgery $50,000 Outside the US 12,297

Sleeve WLS US $25,000 to $35,000 outside the US $8,700

Please be careful— the MTA website lists 33 medical-travel facilitators also knows as Brokers, Agents or concierges. They all earn a fee. Be careful of the. You want someone who is a Patient Coordinator. They get NO fee and work directly for the doctor and they will honestly answer ALL your questions. That is what I had and felt like I was getting the honest answers I wanted and need. deal.gif

Many large companies are actually self-insured except for the most catastrophic medical costs; they typically pay the first several thousand dollars of an employee’s claim, with the insurance provider picking-up the rest. It’s obviously very much to the company’s advantage it its employee gets his surgery done outside of the US where the costs are a LOT less. Sometimes this large company pays for air travel for the patient and a companion says David Boucher, the president of Companion Global Healthcare which is a subsidiary of BlueCross Blue Shield of South Carolina and works with the companies and individuals to set up medical-tourism trips. Some insurance companies have not only waived your deductible fee and the patient gets to pocket 10% of the savings. NOW NOT all insurance companies are doing this. I think this is very rare.bowtie.gif

So many of you worry about AFTER you have had the surgery outside of the US and what will you do. Please consider how long they give your to recover in their facility before you fly home. The length of the flight is something else to consider. Surgery does increase the risk of blood clots. You can help this also by getting up about every hour and walking while flying. Most Doctors who do your surgery will NEVER allow you to fly home until they feel it is safe for you to fly. So that is part of asking questions and finding out what kind of a facility you are having the surgery in. Where will your recovery take place? PLEASE do not have surgery in some Clinic because it cost less—you will go to a Recovery House and most of the time they do NOT have the Recovery House staffed with anyone that is medically trained. broken_heart.gif

“It is particularly important to see your doctor at home before you get on the plane both to make sure you’re fit for the trip and to inform him/her that you’re undergoing surgery. You don’t want to be in a situation where you arrive home and have to confess: “Guess what Doc?!” You will want them to be aware of what you are doing and if they are on board with what you are about to do. If they aren’t then you need to find a doctor who will be supportive of what you are doing.dancing.gif

Many of us do not have the luxury of having our Insurance Company paying for our surgery. I am always encouraged when I hear that someone has been approved to have WLS by the Insurance Company. To me that means that these Insurance Companies are finally getting it.cool2.gif

For me I feel so very blessed that I didn’t get mine paid for. I found the perfect doctor for my WLS, who had so much more experience than many US doctors. I wish you get success with what every kind of WLS you are going to have. Protect yourself ask a TON of questions and expect nothing but the best for you. There are some doctors out there that are NOT that great. Always check out the doctors credentials of the surgeon. Ask about his/her record with the type surgery you’re considering. Check his/her ability to explain things in English on the phone to you and get a clear understanding of services and what your expectations are. It is also a good idea to contact some of his/her former patients for testimonials. Read all the posting you can on the WLS Boards about this doctor. gossip.gif

Hugs,

Suzanne

Awesome stuff, I am not going out of state or anything but I like being informed. Who knows when I may be able to help someone else, or even may need to know the information for myself someday. Thanks for the post!