Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone keeps talking about carbs and having too many or not enough. My doctor didn't say anything to me about carbs or limiting them, but I noticed on his post-op approved food lists that he never mentions potatoes, rice, breads, or Pasta at all.

So how do I know how many carbs I should be eating? Do you think counting carbs is essential to weight loss after WLS? It seems to me that my caloric intake is so low that eating some potatoes or rice (after Proteins and veggies of course) wouldn't be too bad.

I never was an Atkins supporter so carb counting is not in my background. I always thought that "good" complex carbohydrates (whole grain products) were good for you?

Debi, Someone else asked a similar question a few days ago. However, most of us do limit carbs after surgery. I'm not really worrying about carbs myself, but I don't have lots of room for them. By the time I get in my 64 oz of Water and 70g of Protein, there isn't a lot of space or time left over to devote to carbs.

I do eat some potato, and they were essential during the mushie phase, just to keep something soft in my diet. I tried both rice and bread at one point or another and found that they fill me up too much and seem to sit like swollen rocks in my tummy. No matter how little I eat, they seem to swell up and hurt. So, bread and rice aren't on my list.

You will figure out what works for you as you move forward on this journey. If you like grains and carby foods, then try them. You may find that you can lose weight while eating small amounts of carbs, and the weight lifters here say that you should eat something carby before you work out. I'm not a weight lifter, just my little 3 pound dumbbells for now, so I haven't found that necessary yet.

Good luck!! :)

I do not count carbs, but I don't have much room for them after I get my 80 grams of Protein in per day.

I don't do sugar free, or fat free. I get a small latte everyday with 2% milk and regular vanilla Syrup.< /p>

I am 3.5 months out and 35lbs away from goal. ;-) I think all things in moderation is key!

I count Protein, and I don't have a lot of room for anything else once I get my Protein in.

Still, I do watch my carbs. I try to keep it under 50 a day. It seems to work well for me. If I do go over one day, I don't worry about it. I know it isn't normal.

Healthy carb balance is around 80 to 120 grams similar to Protein intake. You need the carbs to burn for energy to allow the Protein to be processed by the body for muscles and nerves.

Granted you get more calories from carbs but once you start exercising you will need the carbs to keep the weight loss from dropping to fast and burning your protein.

I have (had) pcos so yes counting carbs was very important at first for me. pastas, rice, potatoes, are on my nut's list only after making it to goal and only after Protein is eaten. Do you have a nutritionist? Otherwise FOLLOW your doctors plan closely, no matter what others have done.

I think it depends on the person. Some people go a little crazy if they have white carbs (bread, Pasta, potato, rice). I have also found that I don't have room for anything after my 5 bites of dense Protein. In fact, I am having a terrible time getting in veggies because I don't have the room.

Because of the capacity issue, I always eat Protein first. My carbs are usually whole grain crackers that I eat with cheese. I also don't do anything sugar free - just don't like the taste of fake sweetener. However, I found that sweet things don't appeal to me anymore. I would rather eat dark chocolate than milk chocolate. I do find that when I restrict carbs too much that my brain gets really foggy. I add in some good whole grains and I feel a bit better. Just my experience.

Final note about white carbs: I have found that they all give me pretty bad heartburn so I don't eat them. Seems like my sleeve has taken care of that problem for me - at least for the time being :-)

Everyone keeps talking about carbs and having too many or not enough. My doctor didn't say anything to me about carbs or limiting them, but I noticed on his post-op approved food lists that he never mentions potatoes, rice, breads, or Pasta at all.

So how do I know how many carbs I should be eating? Do you think counting carbs is essential to weight loss after WLS? It seems to me that my caloric intake is so low that eating some potatoes or rice (after Proteins and veggies of course) wouldn't be too bad.

I never was an Atkins supporter so carb counting is not in my background. I always thought that "good" complex carbohydrates (whole grain products) were good for you?

Hi Debi.... my surgeon and nut never touched on carbs either. In reading posts here on the forum sometimes there appears to be a lot of focus on carbs and it made me really worry I was doing something wrong!

I went back through my booklet given to me from the hospital nut and there was nothing in it about counting carbs or even limiting carbs. I actually called my nut to verify what I was to be eating and counting,etc. My nut & doc advise has and still is "protien first" always ensuring I get my protien count first...I had to get that back in my head along with the other steps/suggestions in my booklet.

I am not advocating one way or another on this topic... I am just suggesting to stay focused on what your doctor and your nut has advised - after all, they are the paid professionals that we should be receiving & following advise from... :aureola: