Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Band Weight Loss Hell

Wanting to check in and see how some of us who didn't revise to other surgeries are doing since band was removed??

I've lost 10 pounds of the 20 re-gained in the two months after my band was removed in March. I do 60 mins of cardio --yes, 60 -- almost every day and average 1800 calories or less... that got the 10 pounds off...but plateaued for about a month...it SUX... to be putting so much effort into with no results... NO WONDER I quit so many times before and ended up obese!

On the advice of my former nutritionist, who I called for advice on kick-starting things here, my doctor put me on Metformin, which apparently helps the body process glucose/carbs more efficiently rather than storing them as fat (haven't been eating many carbs as it is, based on their advice)... Nutritionist said she had clients who had a hard time losing weight and went on it because of glucose intolerance and started losing weight when they weren't losing before... but didn't help me at all...

Really discouraged, and seeing that discouragement trickle into my eating habits. The old "why bother" head games.

It's just sooooo hard to stay motivated when you have no progress... My son is going away to his dad's for two weeks and thought that might be a good time to try Jenny Craig or similar program and see what happens...since I won't have to cook for him... (Weight Watchers is always a bust for me.)

Anyone lost weight after being de-banded? Maintaining even? It just kills me that I'm still 10 pounds heavier than I was the day my band was removed. I could be 10 pounds less. (Based on losing 10 of the 20 I quickly gained back.) Trying not to focus on the #$%^& numbers on the scale and just eat right and feel good. But, it would help to have progress!!

Advice, comments and encouragment welcome!!

Elizabeth

No advice for you, but a big HUG :hug:

Elizabeth,

I'm a newbie, not banded yet but will be soon. Sorry I have no experience in your situation, but I wanted to tell you Jenny Craig is an awesome program. For me it was very easy to follow and worked well. I couldn't stick to it because of cost. Nutrisystem is also a good program that's less expensive.

I'm just wondering about the Metformin they put you on (which I also did for over a year) what dosage did they give you and how often? I was on 1700 mg 3 times a day. It did little more than nothing on any less dosage for me.

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time, but stick to it. Be strong you CAN do it!

Hi

I am desperately sorry that you are struggling so much.That is why I hate this band because it is just a temp thing and it sets us up thinking it is the answer when it is just not that....

I believe if you keep your exercise up and your calories not to high for an extended period of time your body will speed up your metabolism and the insulin resistance will become less...but this is long term...

Ok,I have to believe that as I am going to have to do that myself somewhere in the neat future....just after goal weight....

That is why I am even insanely jealous of my cousin who had the crazy small intestine bypass operation that no one knows anything about as it is illigal in the states..

Anyway,the point is you have to win this battle...dont give up...JUST ONE DAY AT A TIME and, 10 down of the regain is not another 10 up ( as would have happened pre-band, pre-weightloss yes?)I know all this might sound patronizing from someone who still have their band but I gain 20 with a fill......and easily at that.....I always have to diet,always...carbs less than 20.....nothing to drink but black tea and Water.....this is a huge struggle for me....but somehow I believe still having the band makes the battle easier...however you were almost at goal,where I would just love to be....

My mom told me today that she's finally made peace with herself but that she wishes she could have gotten that feeling about herself when she was young.....it makes us unhappy all this issues with our fat and for what?

Hope you can get to a place where you really can get some peace about this (I am also talking to myself,I think more than to you!!!) and where your weight will stabilize (after another 10 off) and stay like that for as long as you need it to.

Love

dish - I'm so sorry you have had to face this struggle - I am a bit surprised that Metformin is being given to people who are NOT diabetic - yikes (my opinion) - what the heck would your body do if you were diabetic - or what might happen to your body when you stop the Metformin? My fiance is on Metformin for diabetes - and I am diabetic also - concerns me when I hear it being used this way

that said -- you mentioned Jenny Craig - you 'might' want to try Nutri-System -- my daughter has been on their food for a little over a month and has lost 15 lbs - she loves the food choices - you get to mix and match - and it is much cheaper than most programs out there (less than $300/month) and she does eat out now and then so has left over food and her month of food lasted another 2 weeks --- she hasn't exercised more than a day or two while losing this weight either - yes, she's young - but still - it works! -- so just thought I'd mention that.....hugs to you!

Hi Elizabeth,

I feel for you! I know what you're going through. I have been hypothyroid almost all my life..... diagnosed when I was 7 and I'm 47 now. I KNOW about slow metabolisms! My question for you is.... when you were banded, how many calories were you taking in? If you were getting in less calories than you are taking in now, it might be that your body is used to the lower number of calories and doesn't burn those "extra" calories as efficiently. Just a guess on my part. I think that you will have to give your body time to get used to having more calories. I know it's tough, but be patient with yourself. Keep exercising, and try changing your workouts periodically, like do aerobics for a month, then change to bicycling or walking or something else for a month, etc. It makes you work different muscles and changes the way your body reacts.

Just some suggestions. :)

Cathy in Arkansas

Hi,may I ask why the lap-Band was removed? I don't understand why they removed it after you paid to have it put in! Am I missing something?

A newbie here Shirley

Hi,may I ask why the lap-Band was removed? I don't understand why they removed it after you paid to have it put in! Am I missing something?

A newbie here Shirley

Several (many?) of us have had our bands removed due to complications...erosion, slippage and other problems. Some of us have moved on to other procedures, namely the RnY or the DS (Duodenal Switch.) Others are just "flying solo," without any other surgical intervention.

Sue

Like Sue said -- complications. Slippage (twice) in my case. Thanks for the hugs and encouragement. I've stayed on the path, so I think that's saying something. I just have to accept the fact that doing what I'm doing, I'm going to average the tiny, discouraging fact of losing only about one-half a pound a week. But like someone said, that's not going in the opposite direction, at least. Take care, everyone!

Desertmom,

Can you share any information regarding the WLS surgery your cousin had? How successful she has been, etc.?