Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To Vst.....starting My Journey

Hello Everyone,

I just found this website recently and wanted to share my experience. This seems like a great site for people who share something in common.

I have been overweight pretty much my entire life. I am 34 years old, I’m a male and living in Reno Nevada. Growing up I pretty much was the “Big Boy” all through grade school and high school. I was the athlete in school who played baseball and football. In my early twenties, I got up to about 282 pound. I was fed up at that weight and took a firm approach to change my life. I joined a gym and changed my diet. I would hit the gym approximately 4-5 days a week. I lost approximately 80 pounds in about a year’s time. My life has taken many turns since then and I have gained a lot of weight back. My current weight is 265 pounds. It’s a vicious cycle for me of ups and downs with my weight loss.

I decided a few months ago to have weight loss surgery. I am fed up with my current weight situation. I currently have high blood pressure and feel tired most of the day. I don’t want to carry around this extra weight anymore.

I recently just went through the whole process of getting approved for the sleeve. My surgery is scheduled for December 8th, 2011. My doctor tells me that I should drop about 100lbs. I am very optimistic about that and hope I can reach that goal. My problem is that I like food and I have a big appetite. Obviously, that’s why I am in the situation I am in.

I am a little worried about the surgery itself and hope things go smoothly. Also, I’m concerned about the post op recovery. I have a very good support system and I can just hope for the best. I truly believe the risk of having this done, outweighs the risk of not having this procedure done. I am ready to dump these extra pounds and take my life back.

Looking forward to starting this journey…

-Bryan

HI Bryan WELCOME!! I'm glad you decided to join in! Everyone here is very sweet and always ready to help out.

Lucky you, being a guy you'll likely lose your 100 Lbs in no time at all. Keep us updated on how you're doing!

Hi Bryan;

Your journey is very similar to many on this site, so I know you will be able to get a lot of good inforamation and in return, offer empathy and advice to others. The cycles for me were endless and discouragement was often my friend rather than foe.

Do not be overconcerned about your appitite, VSG changes much and most VSG's experience a loss of desire for food. Crazy to consider as my life revolved around my need to eat.

Excited to hear you have a great support system already. Concerns are normal, just do your research so you can be comfortable that VSG is right for you and your future.