Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bands and Babies Down Under

G'day from Melbourne, Australia!

(sorry - I'm a metric girl - 140kg or about 315 pounds)

(sorry also for the long first post - there's a lot to say to begin with....)

I am SOOOO glad I found you all on this forum - reading your posts over the past week, and viewing all those inspirational before / after shots has helped me in my decisions and plans immensely. God Bless you all for sharing and caring so much:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: - I hope that I may contribute to the forum as well as the benefits I'm already enjoying.

I'm 34, a mother of one boy (who's 5), married to a WONDERFUL man (he always cheers me on, and thinks I'm sexy however I look! Bless him!). I work part-time as a consulting environmental scientist.

I have been thinking of getting banded for over a year - but only just started to discuss it with my hubby. I got a referral from my GP this week, and will meet with surgeon later this week (with Mr Chris Hensman at EndoSurgery Victoria, Mulgrave).:nervous

I have fought the battle of the bulge since I was 16 - when my mum joined me at WW - since then I've been the classic yo-yo ride of WL support systems, diets and pills. Depression and control issues with food haven't helped either :rolleyes: (Man! How do I relate to some of the stories posted to the forum!) I want to GET OFF THE ROLLER COASTER - NOWWWW!!!!

My weight has hovered around 135kg since just after my son was born. My hubby was made redundant from his job at the same time, so my emotions and eating were all over the place for a LONG time. I maxed out at 138 - 140kg during last year.:omg: I'm currently around 132kg. (I'm so ashamed...) The thing is, until recently, I've never felt big or heavy. Because I'm a pear-shape, and therefore most my fat is on my legs / hips / rear end, it's kind of "out of sight, out of mind".

Only this year have I felt too big / fat / tired / slovenly / unfit / "insert any other of your favourite self-depretiating terms here" (they'd apply here) to get off my but and do things - even things I love to do like play with son (who can run like the wind) or gardening. Cleaning the house even feels like too much effort...

I feel like that a lot of the emotional baggage I've been carrying around has been put down over the past year, and is now GONE FOR GOOD. :clap2: Hubby and I have a stable, Christian marriage, we have a loving home life and good jobs and career prospects. It was a long struggle. I also feel like I'm able to finally put down the bags I've carried siince school days, feelings of insecurity and inadequacy (God knows why I have them in the first place, but the mind is a beast...). I honestly feel that if I can make a break in the weight gain-loss cycle, and lose the excess weight once and for all, that I'd have a great chance that the fat would also be GONE FOR GOOD. I guess none of this is new to many / most of you in LapBandTalk land. Anyway, it's these new feelings about myself that have shocked me into doing something more to lose the kilos- enter the LAPBAND - dadadadaaaaaa!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

My hubby & I REALLY want more babies - but right now I'm too scared of complications / dying to contemplate getting pregnant yet. I can't seem to lose the 15kgs and 5 years of age I put on since I had my son... The desire to make some new people for our family to love is also contributing influence to my decisions right now, but not the main motivation.

Initially, I'd like to get down under 100kg before trying for another baby, and then after that continue on towards an ultimate goal of 60kg - 70kg (would be nice on a 5ft 4inch girl...). I think I was about 15 when I last saw my weight defined by a number lower than 70kg.:cry :faint:

:help: I'd like to hear from anyone who has conceived / had a baby after LapBanding (how soon after can we go for it - I've heard 2 years, but that's too long!). My GP suggested we had a baby (or two) first, and then the LapBand - the way I feel right now, I don't think that would be sensible - I can almost feel diabetes or a heart attack at the thought of it!:sick

Also, I am really nervous about how I will adjust to the Bandster's lifestyle given how much and how often I eat. Feelings of hunger / fullness / satiety etc are almost meaningless to me right now. I'm looking forward to changing this, but for now, the thought of restricting food volume and types fires up those old feelings of rebellion!:hungry: :angry :)

Thanks for the inspiration so far - looking forward to chatting with you again soon!

Congrats on your decision. You will be surprised at what a difference it will make in your life.

Welcome to LBT.

Myra

Thanks for the welcome message Myra, I am looking forward to releasing the thin girl from under all this fat!

I'm also looking forward to learning a whole new set of attitudes and habits related to food. Eating like my 5yo looks kinda fun - but I guess I'll at least have to use my knife and fork! ha ha ha!!!

I note that you got banded in May. How are you going with the new lifestyle?

Cheers, Anna.

It is a learning curve. But thanks to LBT I have been pretty well prepared. I have had one fill 4cc in a VanGuard band. I have had two instances of not chewing well and food getting stuck. The first time for a good hour or so. The second time for about five minutes. Trying to eat my first few bites too fast.

Went out to eat with my DH and DD yesterday. By the time they had finished their meal and was ready for dessert I was just getting started good. So I can say eating is definitely slower.

Lost almost 30 lbs so far. But I am a stair step loser. Lost ten pounds over a couple of weeks and then nothing for 3 weeks or more. But as long as it is going down and not up that is okay.

Do you have any idea how long you will have to wait for a band?

Mvpo8961, thanks for your message. Great work on the new eating habits and weight loss! I find it hard to believe all the stories about post-band life - like your restuarant story! I am having trouble imagining myself doing anything other than my current food habits....

...however, i already relate to the food getting stuck stories - I sometimes find I rush or gulp the first few bites, and stuff gets stuck, causing a "PB". Usually because I am trying to talk at the same time as eat!! lol I find that having just ONE small sip of Water immediately before I start eating helps - although I hear that this is a no-no with the band. I'll have to learn new ways!!!

I think the wait for a band here in Oz is about 3 to 8 weeks, if you have private health cover, pay the gap fees yourself, and don't have any other health probs that need to be resolved prior to surgery. I have heard its average 2yrs+ wait on the public health (Medicare).

I am debating whether to go and get banded now, or if to put it off for now and have another baby first. Going to discuss with the surgeon and ObGyn. GP (medical doctor) and hubby both think I should have the baby first. I'm worried about the effects of weight loss on pregnancy, and possible band complications during pregnancy / labour.

Meeting with the lap surgeon on Friday. Then we'll see.