Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Surgery On Wednesday

I was just steeved On wednesday, I am in soooo much pain, it hurts so bad, It hurts when I drink Water even, I am drinking chicken

broth 4 oz for each meal and maybe 2 sugar free popcycles a day, I am not getting any Protein in cause every time a drink a shake I get hives... anyone else experience the same thing>? also I have gained 10 lbs since wednesday when I was sleeved and have only had some liquids, any suggestions would help. thanks

Ladonna, Are you still taking your pain meds? They might be the source of your hives. Or, if you are using milk to mix your Protein shakes, it might be giving you a bad reaction. I used milk in one of mine early post-op and spent the next couple of hours in the bathroom regretting my milk. I am definitely lactose intolerant, but that is usually temporary.

Also, chicken broth has some Protein, so you are getting a little tiny bit. Don't worry about the protein this early, just concentrate on sipping your Water. If you are hurting when you drink, you may be drinking too quickly or too large of a sip.

Lots of people here report that it's easier to pour the liquid into a small medicine cup (like a nyquil cap) and then sip the liquid from that cup. It definitely makes you drink more slowly. You might also try "drinking" from a teaspoon and waiting a few minutes between each teaspoon full. Let the liquid trickle down your throat. I had lots of pain from drinking too quickly myself. I was over-filling my tummy and that hurts especially bad when you are newly post-op.

Lastly, the weight gain you have experienced is probably from all the fluids that were pumped into you during and just after surgery. That will resolve itself in a few days.

Good luck on your journey!!! And, welcome to the loser's bench! :)

One other thing, if you get hives in your mouth, nose or vaginal area, please call your doctor asap! Having hives in those areas means that they can go into your throat, which is similar tissue, and it can impede the ability to breathe.

Any and all advice I had for you Lissa just mentioned. I used the little disposable cups from the bathroom for the first 2 months. It helped me take small sips. I also only used milk for my shakes after the first 2 weeks. Praying for some healing for you. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Ladonna,

You don't need to stress about the Protein these first 2 weeks per my NUT. Just get the liquids in...at least 64oz per day. Also, take your pain meds as prescribed and rest when you can, but do keep up your walking. I've read that a heating pad helps with the pain on your tummy. Lissa said pretty much everything I would say. Just don't stay in that much pain. Call your dr to see if you can get a different pain med if the one u have isn't working. It definitely hurts to sip too much. Try a spoon or maybe ice chips also. Just do not get dehydrated. Some of your pain may be from gas...try some Gas-X strips to get some relief. I just had my surgery Tuesday, so those were the things I have been doing.

Good luck!

Stacey

Yes my Dr told me not to go crazy with Vitamins protien to give my body a chance to heal the first 2 weeks i feel great i can sleep on my side just itchy from meds and i cant drink fast had my Jello broth and a lil mash today i am 6 days post op im out shopping and all i am so happy I did this! Good luck I started 223 on nov 15 and today I weighed 205.

I'm 5 days post op and not having any problems @ all.. I am actually amazed at how good I am doing- I have no pain and only discomfort; feels like I did a bunch of sit ups.

I did really good "eating" my 1st day home, not so hot on Sunday and yesterday did fair. I am managin with broth, my Protein Water and some protein drinks- VERY SLOWLY and I am using a medicine cup as well- it helps s you a) dont gulp and B) dont take too big of a sip-

Last night I had some sugar free pudding that didn settle right- Trying to discern between acheyness and hunger- not sure yet if I have felt hunger though- I am sipping everytime I pee and then every 15 minutes drink a medicine cup sip( which is about 1oz)

Showering enabled me to feel MUCH better and I have just been laying low...

I hope you feel better soon! and I agree- if you are in pain- take your pain meds but if hives continue talk to your doc..