Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

few days post op and a few questions

I am 3 days post-op....woohoo! :)

Overall not feeling too bad. Sore, which I expected. But seem to be able to tolerate swallowing...no problems there....but I have a couple of questions...

first off....GAS....when I drink anything, its a sip sip and then a burp...but I feel the burp travel all the way up through my upper abdomin & into my chest. Sometimes it comes right out like a typical burb...other times it seems to just go through my chest and it hurts. Is this normal? And sometimes that pain comes, it travels up and across my chest, and then goes away...but sometimes happens when I havent drank anything.

my other question is swelling....the surgery was done laproscopically. I have 7 poke marks.

One of the pokes was higer up on the left side, and it seems to be more swollen then the others. It kinda bulges. Is this normal?

oh and another question which Im sure I know the answer to already, but would love someone to reassure me....since the day of surgery, I am 5 pounds MORE then I was then. Im assuming this is from all the fluids etc. that I got while in the hospital. right??

Sounds like you are doing GREAT!! Yes, you are probably still having residual gas from surgery. Walking helps, which I'm sure you are doing. Try taking smaller sips and do your best not to swallow air while you are swallowing the Water. My sips were too big for the first couple of days, which caused me to have more pain than necessary.

My upper left incision looked the worst right after surgery, but that one has healed faster than all the others. It will be unnoticeable soon. :)

The higher weight is probably because of fluids and gas given during and after surgery. It will come off quickly.

Welcome to the loser's bench! Good luck on your journey!! :)

Yup. All normal. You're doing great! The gas still happens to me sometimes when i drink or eat too quickly. Mine don't often come all the way out, but I can feel it traveling up inside me. The weight gain is from the Fluid from the IV. It will come off quickly. And your sore incision is probably where they removed your stomach. Mine was pretty sore for a couple weeks and was the last to heal up. Again, all normal! Good luck.

I've had the same thing with the air bubbles at the top of my tummy, its kinda uncomfortable, I'm tryin not to get to much air when I sip n swallow....sounds like like were all doin good, keep up the good work...went to my post op today ill be 2 wks out tues n down 15 lbs since I went in, not to bad! Good luck n keep up the good but hard work!.........Michele

I was sleeved on Tuesday and what you are describing sounds spot on to my self, the sharp pain from the gas seems less intense today then it was yesterday. I'm very happy that I am pretty much able to tolerate anything I put in so far.. seems like most sips create a bit of pain but it goes away quickly, I'm sure its just pressure building in your "new" stomach and pushing out on the incision line.. I was also told by the PA's and nurses that it is worse in the morning then in the evening.

Morning all,

Had a rough nite lots of pain at the top of my tummy, had to take pain meds! I had lots of pressure almost felt like a rock was lodged in there, weird. Had very acidy tummy, just felt miserable. Slept good n I feel better, afraid to put n e thing in though. Has n e one had this problem?

Takin it easy today...........Michele

P.s tues will mark 2 wks out!