Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some advice about the protien..help!!!

I am 2 days post op and my stomach hurts I can't turn over to sleep on side but I guess I am handling that ok but what I am concerned is that I can't seem to get enough of the protien in.. I am drinking the chicken broth and alot of Water.. is that ok? I know after 3 days i don't have to be on that whey crap anymore, I also have some sharp pains that likerise up then disappear? not sure what that is about. But for the most part i am doing ok. Just ready to be on the shakes. Also taking meds by liquid...ewww lol I have more sympathy for my kids now when i give them thier liquid meds lol...

Hope someone has a bit of advice

i would invest in an unflavoed Protein and mix a scoop of that in anything you can eat.........i think Unjury is the best unflavored.

At 3 days post-op, Water is your main goal. Try to get some liquid Protein in, but most folks are still working on learning how to drink again. My doc told me to concentrate on Water and get Protein in as I could. It WILL get easier fairly quickly, so you won't starve. :)

As the other poster said, try to mix protein into anything you can stand, but broth is a decent source...and it's where I got most of my protein while on liquids.

Good luck with your journey!! :)

I am 5 days post-op. As long as you are staying hydrated, the rest will follow. A day or two of limited Protein intake is OK, just get more in when you and sleevie are ready for it.

I can now roll on my side.

A tip that helped me roll on my side and generally feel better was:

I put on a stretchy exercise support belt and it not only helped feel like I was "smoothing" out my belly, as it was so lumpy and swollen from the procedure, but it helped support that "hanging watermelon" feeling I was having. The support also enabled me to get up and move better, as well as roll on my side easier. I found my belt at Walmart by Gold's Gym and it was under $10.

You are right the Liquid Lortab is horrible! But each day that passes I find I don't need it as much. Today I the bruises are coming to the surface and my tummy looks all black and blue, but the only place I have pain is on the right side around the liver, where my DR told me that he pulled the excess stomach out through the laprioscopic hole, and that only hurts now when I bend over too far or when my bladder is full.....

Took me a week or two before I could sleep on my sides. I can now sleep on my stomach at 3 weeks out today! Just felt like an empty spot on the insides(and it was) LOL!!! When I felt like I needed something other then Water, I had beef or chicken broth. I also found that Liquid Protein helped a lot. New Whey & Body by Fortress both make liquid Protein, but I diluted them with water as they are real syrupy. I found another one today @ Walgreen's called, Hydrolyzed whey Protein Shot. Not to bad taste wise either! Kind of pricey but easier to swallow! Good luck...

ty all for the help, today is day three and I have been eating the Jello and broth, tommorrow i should be starting the shakes and I hope that goes well and I can get in more of my protien. Hopefully the vanilla Cake Batter flavor is good lol

I have been making sure to drink tons of Water and slip in some protien, it sure takes alot of getting used to. Though if i could just sleep on my side it wouldnt be so bad lol. It wont be long now I know.

Hi Le Le, I am 4 days post op and can lie on my right side but not left. I spent a fortune on whey protien powder prior to surgery. Needn't have bothered as the nutritionist said milk was every bit as good and that at this point, taking in enough liquid is priority. Fortunately, I like milk and am having no problem getting enough to drink. Every day is a step to feeling 100% so the very best wishes... Fiona x

i was told chicken broth has no Protein.

At 3 days post-op, Water is your main goal. Try to get some Liquid Protein in, but most folks are still working on learning how to drink again. My doc told me to concentrate on Water and get Protein in as I could. It WILL get easier fairly quickly, so you won't starve. :)

As the other poster said, try to mix protein into anything you can stand, but broth is a decent source...and it's where I got most of my protein while on liquids.< /p>

Good luck with your journey!! :)

ja, I just looked at my boxes of broth and they say that chicken and beef broth each has 3g of Protein per cup. Not a lot, but it's some Protein when you're first post-op. :) It's a "decent" source, not a great one.

But, some people can get it down a whole bunch better than Protein shakes right after surgery. I drank gallons of it when I was in the liquids stage. The warm broth went down much better than the Protein Shakes ever did.

I was not to add protien until day 7 . And I am doing fine.

You need the Clear Liquids the first few days!!

Julie

Personally I couldn't stand plain broth so I used Campbell's Old Fashioned chicken Noodle Soup, heated it as directed adding a can of Water and then strained it.

This allowed me to only get the liquid portion of it but it tasted like heaven after so many days of plain liquids. I highly recommend it. Once you can get to full liquids, dannon makes a great drinkable yogurt that I lived on those first few weeks.

Also, the side incision hurts for a while because it is the largest incision and where they took your stomach portion out. This incision has a very deep stitch and until that stitch dissolves you may have a burning pain when bending or turning. I did. Mine finally dissolved at almost 4 weeks out and after that I had no pain whatsoever. It was rough for awhile though, I thought something was seriously wrong for a while but spoke to my nurse who reassured me it was normal.

Having the sleeve is the "best" thing I have ever done for myself. It is the first time in a long time that I put myself first. I don't regret it a bit.

A heating pad or ice pack help with the side pain. Sorry for all the extra posts, but it won't let me edit my previous ones

I am 2 days post op and my stomach hurts I can't turn over to sleep on side but I guess I am handling that ok but what I am concerned is that I can't seem to get enough of the protien in.. I am drinking the chicken broth and alot of Water.. is that ok? I know after 3 days i don't have to be on that whey crap anymore, I also have some sharp pains that likerise up then disappear? not sure what that is about. But for the most part i am doing ok. Just ready to be on the shakes. Also taking meds by liquid...ewww lol I have more sympathy for my kids now when i give them thier liquid meds lol...

Hope someone has a bit of advice

Hi LeLe :) Congrats on your new journey!!!

Firstly, the main concern being your only a few days out should really be sipping your liquids. So you're doing broths and liquids, then you are doing excellent.

Second, the sharp pains could be the acid from your stomach. To be sure though, perhaps you can place a call in to your surgeon. It's probably nothing, but its better to know that for sure than to not.

Hang in there! Every day gets better... and better. Continue with your liquids, get up and walk often and get plenty of sleep and rest. :)