Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's my Bandiversary!

So, one year ago today, I had my lapband surgery. I don't need to review for any of you the nerves, the anxiety, the GAS PAINS!!!!! Then the liquid diet, the mushie diet....and the hardest of all: learning to eat plain ol' regular food again.

Looking back now, I see that I have learned so much. In fact, I think the lapband gave me more gifts than I was prepared, at first, to accept. I have been given the gift of PATIENCE. I learned that if I turn down a brownie today, there will probably be another one in the future. Think about that. That's a big realization!

I learned FORGIVENESS. If I make some bad choices today, I can do better tomorrow. Life is full of opportunities to redeem your mistakes. Learning this has been very freeing. This kind of freedom has released me from the depression/eating cycle, at least most of the time.

I learned how to LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE. There's no race going on here...no competition. Sure, I'd see that others lost weight faster than I did, and I was tempted to buy into my old response of feeling inferior to them, but I fought that battle. What glorious freedom to rid myself of that! The reverse is also true. I saw that I was losing faster than some...I had to learn to fight the feeling of superiority, too.

I LEARNED TO JUST BE ME. I don't have to be perfect. I don't have to be the best example to everyone. I can be just ME...sometimes doing things that are good and healthy, and sometimes not doing those things. Overall, the good decisions won out, and I have some before and after stats that I hope will be inspiring to some, especially those who are just starting out or are making their decisions about whether or not to have this surgery. I also hope that those of us who have been supporting each other all along will accept whatever success these statistics represent as a personal THANK YOU! The hours and hours I have spent here were informative, comforting, and thought-provoking. I chose to learn from all of you. I know we are all different, and that has been a benefit, not a detriment. I have made some very special friends here, and to those very special people, who should know who they are, I want to say, "Thank God for you!"

Before: After:

Weight: 286 Weight: 225

Bust: 50" Bust: 38.5"

Waist: 48" Waist: 39"

Hips: 59.5" Hips: 49"

Thigh: 36" Thigh: 26.5"

Calf: 18.5" Calf: 16"

Upper arm: 18" Upper arm: 14"

Size: 26 Size: 18

BMI: 45 BMI: 36

61 lbs lost!!!

41 inches gone!!!

I am looking forward to YEAR TWO as a year to meet my stated goal of reaching 180 lbs. Another goal for this year is to add quite a lot more physical activity to my life.

It's been a great year. I wouldn't trade the ups and downs for anything...especially not the life I had before I made the decision to take the leap and change my life!

Much luck and success to all, and again, thanks for support!

Cindy

(There should be pictures to go with this, soon.)

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

MouseCrazy,

I want you to know that I am soooo proud of you and your journey. You are my band sister and there is a Disney bond between us. I know you can make it to goal this year as you have made it so far already. I am glad that you decided to make that decision last year one for you health and also because that decision allowed us to be friends. (((((Hugs)))))~Mandy

Fantastic Job!

MouseCrazy,

Hey, congrats on your one year anniversary....what a wonderful year for you....not only did you lose the pounds, but from reading your post you had a very inspirational year.

I am so happpy for you, Mouse Crazy!!! Keep up the great work..

Grats hun! What an inspiration and what a reminder that this journey isn't just about losing weight. It's about learning to live with and accept who we really are. Looks like you've made a lot of progress on all fields. I'm very happy for ya, girl. :) :) :huggie:

Oh Happy Bandiversary Miss Cindy... I bet you look MAHveLous Darlink! Look at those Stats girl... Woo Hoo! (((Hugs)))

What a GREAT letter! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and reminding us that our lives are what we make of them - that each of us has the ability to shape our own future. Congratulations on your successes so far. I have no doubt you'll reach your goal.

Yay for you! And you sound so grounded and mellow about it all, honestly the lessons you've learned are as valuable as the weight lost arent they?

Congratulations Cindy! You've done a fantastic job and have been such an inspiration to many of us. Love ya!