Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is it possible?

I am two weeks post op and I still haven't been able to get all my Protein and fluids in each day that they want me to. Maybe I am just out of the loop on resources for protein? I was finally able to eat a scrambled egg today. I am at a loss and need some help guys! My energy level has plummeted and I know it's because I'm not getting enough.

It took me quite a while before I could get my Fluid levels where they wanted. At two weeks, I was still on liquids, so I couldn't eat eggs.

My advice is to go slow but go consistently. If you are trying to get fluids and Protein in, it helps when you make your fluids have Protein in them. It also helps to up protein levels.

Try doubling up your protein intake by adding a Protein powder to something that has protein in it. I would add vanilla-flavored powder to my yogurt or pudding. You can add yogurt to your Protein shake as well as milk, powdered milk and the Protein Powder.< /p>

Tofu can be added to things as well to increase protein intake. I also like to add cheese including cottage cheese.< /p>

As disgusting as they are you should get some Protein shots and take a sip every few hours to drink one a day. This on top of what you manage to eat or drink in your diet. Walgreen's carries one that is the most Grams Protein in the smallest ounces, meaning less to drink - they are super sweet and icky but I chase them with a swig of EAS Myoplex chocolate Milk Protein Drink and that washes the taste out of my mouth plus I get a few more grams of protein in that. I also chase my icky tasking liquid Vitamins and Calcium with the Myoplex and I drink one for Breakfast if I don't have time to make a full blown protein shake. I also take a swig of EAS several times every day to add more protein. I never got tired after my surgery. My NUT says it's because I am getting so much protein. There are several other Protein drinks - Ensure - Slimfast, etc - but I found the Myoplex by EAS to have the most grams of protein per ounce of drink. Which should be our goal since we can only get in so few ounces of food/drink a day.

I also found pouring just a tiny tiny bit of the protein shot in a drink like K20 or Crystal Light was bearable. I used to drink TONS of Water before my sleeve - I am frustrated that I cannot drink big gulps like I used to. I find the best way to get lots of fluids is to get one of those big hospital mugs with a straw and lid- and keep it full of ice Water - every where I go I make a fresh one - and just get in the habit of sip sip sip - I am still working on remembering to sip often enough. I am drinking with meals most of the time too. I can't stand not drinking with a meal. Just a few sips to wash things down. I do not think drinking with the meal or not makes any difference regarding how fast my food is digested and I am ready to eat again.

If you can eat eggs now, try baked fish as a soft mushy protein source. I found a great solution - Gorton's in the frozen seafood section (by fish sticks) has a Grilled Talapia item- comes in several flavors and each box has 2 - 3 oz servings. They bake in 18 minutes and are pretty darn yummy I think.

Try cottage cheese- and if you don't like it much, try it with sugar free jelly as a flavored topping. String cheese also goes down well for me.

I am not supposed to be eating meats yet but I have been - I had to have more protein -- so I bought pre-cooked chicken at the grocery store and I bought lean bbq brisket and pulled pork at a BBQ restaurant (no bbq sauce), and eat an ounce or two of that for most of my lunch and dinner meals.

Another trick - if you like baked Beans - cut out alot of calories by rinsing them in a strainer before eating. They still taste great because the flavor is marinated into them. Same can be done with Ranch Beans.< /p>

Refried beans with cheese on them is a good protein source too.

I had the same problem. I now carry a Powerade zero everywhere I go. Also found premiere nutritions chocolate shake (30 grams of Protein, 5 of carbs and 1.5 of fat) I think they are awesome. I couldnt do the protein powders they were just too gross. Even the unflavored Unjury, the smell made me so sick. Another thing I found was ProJoe mocha coffee drinks. They have 20 grams of protein and are fabulous. You can get them from bariatric resource center online and they will mail to your house. I can eat pretty much what I want now but I still have 2 shakes and a coffee a day to ensure I get my protein. Much easier now that I dont mind the taste. Hope this helps!

Thank you all for the information and support. I appreciate it a lot. I'm gonna do down shopping today. I don't have family or friends that understand what I am going through so it's been tough.

Well you have friends now. We may not be able to lend an actual shoulder or hug but we certainly are here for you 24 hours a day.

I happen to be blessed with a very supporting family but they are all normal weights and have been all their lives. They can only support me to an extent because they have no real idea what I am going through. That is why I really love this site. Everyone is on the same journey and they share their trials and tribulations.

Take comfort in knowing that we are all here for you.

Shae

Take it one day at a time sweets! I was super hard on myself because I could not get in the Protein, Vitamins, etc. Finally someone said just concentrate on getting in the Water and take it one day at a time...so I did and it got better with each new day and eventually I was able to get everything in.